Astronaut Theology: Kinky



Kinks guitarist Dave Davies isn't just the pioneer of the power-chord riff, he's also an experiencer. His 1994 autobiography Kink tells the story of how Davies believes he was contacted telepathically by alien intelligences:
All of a sudden I began hearing these strange voices talking to me, in clear and unmistakable tones. Their voices were authoritative but warm and strangely comforting, which lessened my initial alarm. This was unlike anything I had experienced before. They felt as if they were a little distance above my head; that's how I perceived it at the time. For all I knew they could have been operating from thousands of miles away. I couldn't see them but I could hear them and, more importantly, I could feel them and smell them. There were five distinct intelligences and each one gave off his or its own particular odour.
The intelligences did not tell me who they were, but two of them said they had always been my spirit guides, and two others were entities that were not of this earth but were involved in missions here as watchers and nurturers of our race. The other intelligence was the projected consciousness of a man living in a physical body on earth. They communicated many things to me, most of which I have only just begun to assimilate now.
You can read more at his site on the Spiritual Planet. He also has articles by/about people like Israel Regardie, Philip K Dick and George King. Davies also runs a message board for people of a similar mystical bent. I must say I'm agnostic on it all but it's fascinating to me how many pioneering artists (and non-artists) have claimed to have strange and powerful metaphysical experiences. It could all be a by-product/malfunction of the creative mind or it could be that there are forces at work using these type of pioneering types to push the culture along. I'm open to both arguments.



Bonus 60s nostalgia-blast- The Byrds' abductee-wannabe anthem "Hey, Mr. Spaceman."

13 comments:

  1. There is a book about the UFO / Rock & Roll connection. Your buddy William Henry interviewed the guy on dreamland a few years ago.

    Alien Rock: The Rock 'n' Roll Extraterrestrial Connection (Paperback)
    ~ Michael Luckman (Author)

    http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Rock-Roll-Extraterrestrial-Connection/dp/074346673X/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258557050&sr=1-14

    Publisher: MTV (July 26, 2005)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christopher,
    Love the way you tell it. Reminds me of Talbot's Holographic Universe and the idea of a collective face that reveals itself as we bring experience into realisation. Good tunes as well. The Animals are a favourite of mine,from that era.

    You got any links to radio/podcasts of yourself,

    thanks again, paul.

    PS the "message board" link fails in error.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike C!- Oh I've read it! Sammy Haggar a UFO contactee? Now I've heard everything!

    Paul- Yes- probably the explanation I lean towards personally. It makes sense if you trace back some of the history.

    Lynn- Cheers. Sometimes Blogger adds in weird things to the URLs. It's fixed on the post too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Christopher, this is off topic for your post, but I couldn't find a link to e-mail this information to you. Anyway, I'm sure you get all sorts of recomendations, but if you haven't seen a twilight episode called "Queen of the Nile," then I suggest you do. I just saw it on Syfy and immediately was reminded of your blog (which I have been visiting on and off for a year or so.) Anywho, check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, sure Anony- didn't I post on that once? Maybe not. It's a awesome ep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even fleetwood mac had a song about alien abduction with the fm friendly ''hypnotized''It was a song by Bob Welsh,i think.

    ''seems like a dream
    they got me hypnotized''

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Chris, I'd like to get your reaction to this video I saw on youtube.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGJ2wZNkQCc

    It's about rock music. It really bummed me out when I saw it. I believe Steve Willner touched on this subject on his last video.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anony, I don't pay any attention to that kind of material at all. It's typical Fundamentalist propaganda.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even the cook is dancing in the Kinks video.Or is it just an eccentric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its the creative mind which is always looking for new avenues of expression, and tends to observe things most would pass by out of fear of the subconscious.

    Its so incredibly easy to be an armchair skeptic or fear mongering fundamentalist on any subject, and yes, entertainment is so rote with all sorts of crap memes, it couldn't be more obvious at this point. All it requires is laziness and a fear of the unexplainable to back up the fundie or skeptic view points. Oppo-sames :D

    Humans are not the top of the chain ofintelligence, most likely pretty damn middling and primitive; so anything wacky should be looked at without too much worry, as its a learning process we all have to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "The other intelligence was the projected consciousness of a man living in a physical body on earth"? It sounds like Davies had an encounter with the Secret Chiefs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So Davies' contact occurred while he was in Virginia at the "Sheraton Hotel in Hampton Row" - I think he means Hampton Roads: nothing strange goes on there, or at nearby Langley, certainly. Just saying. I heard a voice once but I'm *pretty* sure it was just a malfunction.

    ReplyDelete