Praying to the Aliens



"Praying to the Aliens" is one of my favorite Gary Numan songs and the video for it is extremely unsettling. I'm not sure what this is supposed to be- is it primitive video art or some leftover MK-Ultra demo reel? It certainly fits the song, in a weird way. It also fits with my fears about the future. I recommend you not watch it if you have problems with epilepsy or any similar neurological issue.



Bowie not only name-checks the Templars in this video, he dresses up as one. Interesting reference for a song called "Loving the Alien," (a top 20 single in the UK) but Bowie would certainly know what he's doing, wouldn't he? Interesting to note he opens this very interesting video praying. One of his better tracks from a generally dismal period. Of the two, the Bowie lyrics are by far the most interesting, and the most troubling. Did Bowie believe that Numan hadn't fully explored the implications of his title, written five years earlier?


Watching them come and go
The Templars and the Saracens
They're traveling the holy land
Opening telegrams

Torture comes and torture goes
Knights who'd give you anything
They bear the cross of Coeur de Leon
Salvation for the mirror blind

But if you pray all your sins are hooked upon the sky
Pray and the heathen lie will disappear
Prayers they hide the saddest view
Believing the strangest things, loving the alien
And your prayers they break the sky in two
Believing the strangest things, loving the alien

Thinking of a different time
Palestine a modern problem
Bounty and your wealth in land
Terror in a best laid plan

Watching them come and go
Tomorrows and the yesterdays
Christians and the unbelievers
Hanging by the cross and nail



Given Bowie's prodigious knowledge of the occult, and his identification with aliens, it gives one pause to contemplate a song about a modern struggle between "Templars and Saracens" (complete with cryptic mentions of "terror" and torture") giving rise to a new alien religion. We've looked at powerful artists prophesying the future with their art before, and Bowie is among the most potent of our time.

When I was searching for the Gary Numan video an ad for this came up. I'm not sure praying to aliens is the type of association those guys are looking for, but who knows?

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:43 AM

    The first video looks like one I saw at this automatic hand washing station in Tokyo.....really messed me up when I went for the door. The second one looks like Bowie strong armed some new wave art school kid into making his vision come to life. If anything, its encrypted with bad taste, lol. Kidding........

    Bowie is a restless soul......or perhaps truth is in the seeking and not the finding......for Mr. Bowie....one can only speculate or wonder........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:03 AM

    CHRIS-
    Fascinating entry I must read again, and watch, to get the full impact. I was wondering though, were you in any way spurred on by Thursday's revelation by Apollo 14 Astronaut Ed Mitchell that he has certain knowledge of the existence of ETs, and that his old bosses are still covering up? Find the news article here:
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24070088-13762,00.html
    See what you think-

    Thrace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bowie's 9/11 Dance Song

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPJeAeSbN3A

    from a 9/11 researcher's POV, it would seem Bowie was singing here about the "hit" to the South Trade Tower, the one "everyone" saw on TV. ... he *must* be referring to the TV Fakery. Bowie lived in that neighborhood. But I have lately been impressed with the workings of the subconscious mind. So I'm agnostic. I've always viewed Bowie references to occult subjects as throw away lines that were style statements. But hells, if Dylan is an obvious "initiate" of some kind, why not Bowie? I'll wait 'til Bowie starts openly flying the banner at his shows, as does Dylan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thracie, I read that article and am familiar with Mitchell's beliefs. SO my question is why are we hearing so much UFO stuff in the mass media lately?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris-
    That's my question too. When I got home from work this afternoon, I went over Father Balducci's comments again from earlier this year. I have to think a little thing called DISCLOSURE is about to rear it's head. What that really, really means, heaven only knows. But I get the feelng we'd better get ready for it.
    Thrace

    ReplyDelete
  6. If disclosure comes, I hope to God it's fake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:27 AM

    Mr. Knowles, this is realy interesting. I was wondering if you or anyone might know what "mirror blind" referrs to in the David Bowie song.

    Either way, thank you for yhour attention and for this wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete

Off-topic info, links are always welcome if kept brief, but please refrain from unrelated data dumps and off-topic lectures.

As always, I reserve the right to delete comments that I consider to be inflammatory or overly off-topic

If your comment doesn't show up, please email.

Please be aware that Blogger often dumps comments with hyperlinks into the Spam folder. Please try to avoid them, since it makes more work for me to read through the spam folder for your comments.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.