Monday, August 03, 2009

Dream Log: Room 128

Michael Rennie on The Invaders, a sci-fi spin on The Fugitive*

I was watching a black and white movie. It was about one of those people you've always known but who isn't a friend. I wondered if this was one of those movies that's actually an allegory for an alien abduction. 


I suddenly went from watching it in someone's living room to watching it in outside, lying in the grass outside my old grade school. The movie was now in color. It was about 1 AM, but the playground was well lit. The movie was over. I went up the hill to turn the TV off, but it was inside the school and the door was ajar but chained. I found the florescent light coming in from the door somewhat nauseating. 

Then three teachers walked towards me, but I couldn't really see their faces in the shadows. "You're not supposed to be in there," one of them said. 

 "The TV was on in Room 128," I replied, "It was on when I came by. I saw the light from the bottom of the hill." 

 "What were you watching?" 

 "It was that movie that they just remade. It had David Janssen," I offered, "I think it was The Man Who Fell to Earth." 

 "The Man Who Fell to Earth?," one asked. Why can't I see their faces?
 
Written on literal scraps, around 5:30 AM

"No, The Day the Earth Stood Still. Michael Rennie," I said, more confidently. 

"What was the name? Was it the name or the film?," another asked. 

 "I don't know, It had something to do with owls," I said, annoyed. "It was one of those movies that was really about alien abduction, though that wasn't in the actual story." 

 "Well, you're not supposed to go in there," a woman said, "They're doing tests. It's dangerous."

* From the Fugitive wiki: The series premise was set up in the opening narration, but the full details about the crime were not offered in the pilot episode, which started with Kimble having been on the run for six months. Not until episode 14, "The Girl from Little Egypt," does the viewer finally get the full details of Richard Kimble's plight.

You can blame Mike Clelland at Hidden Experience for filling my head with these memes.