First of all, let's establish the meaning of the term "swipe." I'm looking at this from the point of view of a graphic artist. "Reference" or "inspiration" often means "knocking off" in the trade. You take an image and futz around with it - change things, move things around- until you come up with something new. The action lines and placement details in this piece seem out of the realm of coincidence.
Well, rather than argue semantics let's go to the overlays:
This is how swipes usually work. You don't outright copy the pose, especially when you are drawing in a different style. But here are the basic facts in evidence:
• The characters are at an almost identical forward angle.
• The position of the legs is reversed but in very similar poses.
• Likewise with the right arms.
• Both are holding an oblong object which is at roughly the same angle.
• The orientation of the heads is essentially identical.
• The torsos meet up at the chest, but Shuster's left arm is anatomically incorrect. This would be expected if he were working from reference like that.
• The body and foremost head of the Hydra match up with rock in a way that makes coincidence unlikely.
• The tire hits at the same spot the segmented belly of the Hydra is located.
• The car is coming in at the rock at the same angle as Hercules approaching the Hydra.
Here is a simpler diagram of the Hydra and the rock:
I wonder if this was done on a dolly (opaque projector), which would allow Shuster to play with the sizing. The spatial relationships on that diagram directly above might argue in favor of that. That very clip-art looking car also argues in favor of a dolly. It's a bit too well drawn in contrast to the very awkward upper body of Superman.
SECRET SUN TOP TEN
ROCKPORT — Orion Krause appeared to have a bright future.
It's not exactly a newsflash that secret society symbolism lies at the very heart of David Lynch and Mark Frost's Twin Peaks...
Charles Manson, a relatively early beta-test for the now-familiar Joker archetype, is dead at the age of 83. A lifetime convict and two-...
A lot of people have asked me over the past ten years how you can tell if a symbol-set is circulating through the culture through sync...
Jesus Christ Pose The Alternative Rock explosion of the early 90s was fueled by a wave of great singers. After a lost decade of metall...
Come Feel the Deep Well, it happened again. Another prominent figure in music gone too soon. More pain and heartache. Like we need...
Jesus. I really don't know where to start. I watched the two-part opener of the new Star Trek series and I'm still wonderi...
So for the past few weeks we've been looking at how a constellation of connections, syncs and symbols surrounding the doomed ro...
Three months ago, I told you guys that this thing we've been looking at here since Chris Cornell died-- whatever the hell it actu...
Well, there's some loaded language for you. The New Normal is here. What does that mean? It means constant chaos and disrupt...