Crimes, Cover-ups and Fringe Science (UPDATE 2/16)

By now I shouldn't be surprised by these kinds of things, but I was a bit stunned to find out that I attended high school in Braintree, Mass. with the accused shooter at the University of Alabama. Not only that but I also attended high school with the brother she mowed down with a shotgun in 1986.

I left Braintree as soon as I could and never went back. It was a normal enough town, on the surface at least. But there was a very weird undercurrent at work there, particularly in East Braintree where I grew up. And I wasn't the only one who sensed it. A friend of mine from the same part of town used to call it "Twin Peaks East." Appropriately enough, this is the place where I had my leprechaun 'encounter', and there's been other weirdness in EB as well, such as a dying dolphin showing up in a river behind an apartment complex I once had a paper route in. A fresh water river, I might add.

I used to chalk a lot of it up to the fact that there was/is a major gasoline depot on Quincy Avenue near the old General Dynamics shipyard, and that the lead in the gasoline was causing aberrant behavior in kids, particularly in the nearby junior high school. Kids were constantly fighting then, and there were a few incidents of truly brutal and horrific kid-on-kid violence. I did notice that the tenor of the town changed quite a bit when leaded gasoline was taken off the market in the early 80s. There's been some studies to the effect of lead on children, particularly in regards to violence.



Stunning press conference with Police Chief Frazier

But in December of 1986 there was an weird outbreak of murders involving young people and the accused University of Alabama shooter Amy Bishop was at the forefront of it. There was also a local townie who murdered a girl and buried her in a yard I used to cut through every day on my way to Jr. High, and a thrill-killing of a pregnant woman outside a convenience store.

Seth Bishop, from my yearbook

But the Bishop case was unique in that the police chief had the case dropped before charges could be filed and at some point the case files disappeared from the police station. From a story in The Patriot Ledger:

The Braintree police chief sparked a firestorm yesterday over the case of the rampaging science professor arrested for killing three colleagues in Alabama on Friday, alleging the woman was freed decades ago after a politically derailed investigation into her fatal shooting of her own brother.

On Dec. 6, 1986, Frazier said, then-20-year-old Amy Bishop blasted her brother, Seth Bishop, 18 - described in newspaper reports at the time as a talented violinist and science student - with a shotgun during an argument, fled and was then arrested by cops at gunpoint.

That, Frazier said, is where the investigation of the case stopped.

Frazier went on to describe the tense atmosphere in Braintree at the time:
“I was not on duty at the time of the incident, but I recall how frustrated the members of the department were over the release of Ms. Bishop. It was a difficult time for the department as there had been three shooting incidents within a short time frame. The release of Ms. Bishop did not sit well with the police officers and I can assure you that this would not happen in this day and age.”
I knew Amy Bishop by name, but that's all. She lived in a neighborhood where I spent a great deal of time in my wild days, but her yearbook pictures (courtesy of a Braintree friend) don't look familiar to me at all.

You can make of this what you will- I think there's a lot going on under the surface here, typical for Braintree. I found it interesting that Bishop was in denial that the Huntsville shootings ever happened, but it appears not to be a first-time deal for her, obviously. The story behind her brother's shooting is a lot more incriminating than people knew at the time, and this is bound to cause a major scandal since the DA at the time is now a US Congressman.

The deeper connection here is that the Huntsville campus borders the US Space Center at the Redstone Arsenal and the U of A is also deeply involved with the space program. There's even a building named for Werner Von Braun on the Huntsville campus. Then this:
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (AP) — Huntsville officials are working to save NASA's program for sending astronauts back to the moon. Mayor Tommy Battle and others will introduce a new task force on Friday to lobby for the Constellation program. The group will be led by former Democratic Congressman Bud Cramer.

Some 2,500 jobs are connected with the work at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, located at Redstone Arsenal. The Alabama Legislature has passed a resolution urging President Barack Obama to reverse a decision to end Constellation.

And just like her (sur-)namesake at Harvard in Fringe, it seems the Harvard-educated Mrs. Bishop was involved in some extremely interesting neuroscience, appropriately enough. From her UAH webpage:
My laboratory’s goal will be to continue in our effort to develop a neural computer, the Neuristor™, using living neurons. This computer will exploit all of the advantages of neurons...We are exploring the possibility of using neurons derived from adult stem cells, and from bony fishes provided by Bruce Stallsmith Ph.D. This laboratory has created a portable cell culture incubator, the Cell Drive™ that is an ideal support structure for the Neuristor™
There's a lot more to this story- the Braintree situation may be even more explosive than the Huntsville tragedy. I'll keep you all posted if I have anything more germane to say on the topic.

UPDATE: This from a link that a reader provided. A person who claims to have been friends with Bishop writes:
You are very correct. As I have said, I have known Amy since she was 17. Amy has NEVER been able to effectively communicate or connect with another human being. She was just missing that part of her brain.... She left Harvard after getting her degree because she couldn't get a position in the Boston area. She is brilliant, but out side of using technical language in a scientific paper or doing complicated research, she can't communicate in a way people understand....so she couldn't get a position.

This is not a case of environment - it is a case of a woman stuck with a brain that just didn't function appropriately.

I always found it interesting that she chose neuroscience to study and had a keen interest in mental illness....I think that even she didn't understand herself and wanted so badly to change.

UPDATE: OK- I definitely recognize both of them from these high school yearbook pictures. I'm almost certain that I was in a few classes with Amy. Seth was a couple grades below me, but I know his face. Photos courtesy of some Braintree homeboys. One writes this: "In her "Senior Class Will" she left her violin and her music to her brother Seth."

PS: I'm almost positive that one of those classes was 'Science Fiction Literature', which was a junior-senior elective. We read Dune and The Puppet Masters.

UPDATE 2015 EST: This story continues to get more and more bizarre. From The Boston Globe:

Alleged Ala. killer was suspect in attempted bombing of Harvard professor

The professor who is accused of killing three colleagues at the University of Alabama on Friday was a suspect in the attempted mail bombing of a Harvard Medical School professor in 1993, a law enforcement official said today.

Amy Bishop and her husband, James Anderson, were questioned after a package containing two bombs was sent to the Newton home of Dr. Paul Rosenberg, a professor and doctor at Boston's Children's Hospital.
Then there is this:
During a search of Bishop's computer, authorities found a draft of a novel that Bishop was writing about a female scientist who had killed her brother and was hoping to make amends by becoming a great scientist, according to a person who was briefed on the investigation and spoke to the Globe on the condition of anonymity.
Incredibly disturbing. The Globe also has it that Bishop is 44 and not 42 as originally reported. I don't know which age is correct (footnotes deleted).

UPDATE: It just gets worse and worse:

Before Bishop and Anderson moved to Alabama in 2003, they lived in a tight-knit community on Birch Lane in Ipswich with their three daughters and son.

Neighbors described Bishop as an angry person who often called police when teens were playing basketball or skateboarding in the neighborhood, and yelled and cursed at children for being too loud.

“She wouldn’t let the ice cream truck come down the street,’’ said one neighbor, who declined to give his name.

Ipswich police confirmed two calls for neighborhood disputes from Bishop, but did not release any details. Bishop also called police on March 8, 2002 to report receiving harassing phone calls, police said.

Onetime neighbors Denise and Nishan Mootafian said they stopped letting their children go over to play with Bishop and Anderson’s children, in part because Bishop “got very agitated by noise.’’

“I just feel like she was a ticking bomb who could have gone off on any of us,’’ Denise Mootafian said.

UPDATE 2/16: It's looking worse and worse for Polio:

Shortly after fatally shooting her brother in 1986, Amy Bishop held two men at gunpoint and demanded a getaway car at an auto repair shop near her family's Braintree home, according to one of the men involved.

Carrying a shotgun by her side, a 21-year-old Bishop walked intently across a car lot into the adjacent storefront, where she began searching for car keys. Coming down from the second floor, she was heading toward the garage when she ran into Tom Pettigrew and a friend, who had spotted her in the parking lot and came to investigate.

"Her gun hit me in the chest," Pettigrew, 45, recalled from his Quincy apartment. "I yelled, 'What are you doing?' and she screamed at me to put my hands up. So I put my hands up."

Later, Braintree police briefly questioned Pettigrew and several other employees, and authorities never contacted Pettigrew again. He read in the paper the family shooting had been ruled an accident, and that Bishop was not charged with a crime.

"It was almost like they wanted to put it on the shelf and forget about it," he said. "I think if that happened to me I'd be wrapping up a long prison sentence. But with this, it seems like they just wanted it to go away."

41 comments:

  1. Man, if I hadn't read about this in the news I would just assume you were deconstructing an X-Files episode I missed. It also reminds me of the many stories that circulate in tinfoilhatland of missing and murdered scientists. Some days I get the feeling that the whole planet is on the verge of a crackup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. damn, weird shit. Brain Tree just sounds like some fucked up place you dont wanna visit.

    I thought of fringe too the paragraph before you mentioned it. Its all there.

    bishop, professor, general dynamics, gas leak, sporadic violence, invisible authority, space centers, neuro science.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and i didnt read the full title of the article until now. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:39 AM

    Also: BRAIN-TREE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intriguing. Especially with the NASA and Constellation angles. Maybe, you need to have a look if there is a parallel world angle here, I have been having some serious intuition about this Fringe storyline lately. I can't wait to read additional information from your investigations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weird. Braintree. Sounds like a supervillain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:52 AM

    Wild story. Speculation now that the shooting may have to do with intellectual property rights: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraham/detail??blogid=95&entry_id=57209

    ReplyDelete
  8. On watching the video with Police Chief Frazier, I wanted a closer look at the Police shield so I followed this link: LawrenceMercantile: Baltimore Police Shield: Zazzle.com Store


    I found that they use the Fasces as a symbol...Curiouser and curiouser.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bishop?

    In some Slavic languages (e.g. Czech/Slovak) the bishop is called "střelec/strelec", which directly translates to English as a "shooter" meaning an archer"

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_(chess)

    Ahhhh, and the negative energy bubbles ever so more to the surface bringing old, nasty baggage just waiting to be transmuted.

    And "Braintree", Goodness, that word couldn't be any more loaded.

    I'm sorry to hear about such negativity in your early surroundings Chris.

    Also, the only things missing from this bloody valentine you've blessed us with is a Mansquito and a Sharktopus.

    ;)

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeebus Creebus I tried to Google some discussion boards on this and the sites are all virus-infected!!! My GF's stepmother and stepaunt grew up in Braintree and their dad was 'one of Timothy Leary's boys' and was a naval officer at that paranormal base at Montauk... I of course in the freakin' 60s went to a Peenemunde-linked Rocket Science Academy just south of Olivia Dunham's favorite Cortexiphan-dispensing Naval Air Force base in Jacksonville... 'hyperactive' students such as myself were kept oncampus after classes on Wednesdays... all I recall of those afternoons is the smell of Burnt Orange Peels...

    ReplyDelete
  11. that press conference video was riveting...

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Chris,

    here's some FRINGE / X-Files worthy enigmas in the Georgian Luger accident... Really quite amazing!

    Read the Post Comments for the *truly* fascinating odd stuff!

    On my blog at Tragedy in Vancouver

    ~SE~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Califia's Lap3:15 PM

    This past week has been stunning. I live in the Huntsville area and have children that attend both UAHuntsville and Discovery Middle School. There was a student on student shooting which resulted in the death of a student exactly one week before this mass killing at Discovery Middle. To say the community has been thrown for a major loop is truly an understatement.
    As an alumni of UAHuntsville (or UAH if you prefer, this is what locals and former and present day students call it) I can tell you that there are weird goings on at both the school and in the city. I wrote for the paper the Exponent at UAH for a couple of years and got to know some of my professors well. For a mid size college in a mid size southern town al kinds of strange politics and practices are at play here.
    Braintree seems like a truly weird city but Huntsville and it's suburban area, Madison, have some of the same kinds of events happening. I'm a night owl and I am usually up very late. Sometimes there are these strange vibrations that you can feel and come at regular intervals all throughout the night. A few years back we had some kind of earthquake that was felt in 3 states(I don't know what they called it but the people at the Redstone Arsenal refused to make any statement about it other than it registered on some equipment there). My children jumped out of bed and ran into the bedroom terrified that a tree had fallen outside our house. And just last week there were some very loud, very rumbling explosions that came from the Arsenal. I know from a lifetime of living in this area that one can expect these kinds of things when you live near a military base but to me there seems to be something more to it than what it appears on the surface. I just feel this on an intuitive level.
    Make what you will of this comment but every bit of this is true. I encourage you to look at Huntsville and Madison a little deeper.
    You are a wonderful writer and I read your blog everyday. Please keep up the good work. I never thought my little city would end up being discussed here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Chris,

    Wow! Isn't it amazing how a person can be connected to such high weirdness?

    You have to be glad that you left that "Twin Peaks" atmosphere. BTW, "Twin Peaks" plays on the Sleuth Channel now.

    From your note at the bottom we learn that you are some kind of super genius! But your readers here already knew that!

    Concerning the link and the person who knew Bishop for so long and said, "...Amy has NEVER been able to effectively communicate or connect with another human being. She was just missing that part of her brain.... She left Harvard after getting her degree because she couldn't get a position..."

    Just from this description, this sounds like classic Asperger's Syndrome...untreated, and mixed with a lot of pathological behavior, of course. Funny thing is many people go undiagnosed and simply are known to be loners. Many also become scientists or engineers where they have limited social contact.

    Asperger's is sort of the in between of Autism and ADHD. The main symptom is a lack of social skills or affect (person is unable to smile at another person, can't recognize social signals and remains unresponsive or laughs inappropriately at something serious).

    From WedMD...

    Because the level of intelligence often is average or higher than average, many people with Asperger's syndrome are able to function very well. They may, however, continue to have problems socializing with others through adulthood.

    More here:
    http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/mental-health-aspergers-syndrome

    Thanks, Chris!
    SoapFan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nick- I know. It's crazy, isn't it? Scroll down for a Huntsville resident's take.

    Terry- Oh yeah. I'm so all over that show like you wouldn't believe. It hits me on so many levels it scares me.

    Andre- I still can't believe they haven't set a story in Braintree yet- just the name alone! They did one in Weymouth- which made Braintree look like Shangri La in the 70s.

    Sam- The Tree of Knowledge, right?

    Anony952- Great link- cheers.

    Flossy- Baltimore? What's the connection with Braintree?

    2Thy- Oh, I don't see it as negative- I look at it as my training ground, for looking beneath the apparent surface of things. The thing about the bad craziness that could go down in that town is that it wasn't supposed to be the kind of place where that kind of thing is supposed to happen. But some very serious weird badness went down when I was growing up. Now it's the hub of the South Shore, and there's a lot of your standard type of street crime and such, not so much the weird Twin Peaks kind of sickness.

    Ned- Jacksonville, which is on what US highway?

    C!- Definitely. Someone's going to get hung out to try. My money is on the old chief, who I'm pretty sure I have a degree of separation from as well.

    Strangey- I read the post but didn't get the connection to Fringe or XF. Help me out...

    Califia- Wow- fantastic datafeed there. Sounds like they're testing some heavy duty hardware there. I will keep my eyes open for strangeness there- and please be our eyes and ears as well.

    Soapie- You know, I thought so too, but Mrs Sun thought it might be more of a personality disorder deal. Coming from my geek background I've seen a lot of Asberger's types. But they're not usually given to homicidal violence. Let's see what happens down there...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was going to say she looked like some mentally challenged crazy lady you would see pushing a shopping cart, but i didnt want too assume things that are unproven but according too the update thats almost accurate.

    She definitely had one foot in the Cuckoos nest and the other in genius land.

    sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting DUNE and PUPPET MASTERS sync!


    Seth , Amy

    Thes , May

    (This May)

    Just sayin...!



    @Chris: Seriously?!? You don't see anything xfiley in the details of that accident?? Have you EVER seen those kind of odd repeating details in any other accident??

    Look up "SOCHI, Russia" on google maps! That's the host city of the 2014 22nd Olympic Winter Games.

    ~SE~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous7:33 PM

    Chris speaking of scifi, and neuroscience. When I saw the 'Bishop' shooter case i was thinking of Lance Bishop 341-B, of Jim Camerons Aliens. In Alien the 'first' Androids 'were' unstable.
    This does make one wonder.

    Bony fishes and adult stem cells. Remember that X-Files Alumni in the film Evolution? Fish attack on instinct put survival and lethal rage.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Terry- You can say that about all geniuses. I used to have a saying- genius is a curse.

    Strangey- The 4's- did you happen to notice that the Georgian flag has 4 Templar crosses?

    Anony- Alien. Funny I was thinking about watching that yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Georgian Luger ranked 44th.

    Accused killer in Braintree was alleged to be 44

    Sync.

    ReplyDelete
  21. most definitely true. alas Tesla and all the others.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous8:22 AM

    Great work, SecretSun - not just this one ether. Amazing blog!

    Fishy business! aha,ha....ha? anybody? sorry :)

    Uhm, er...

    A chessboard bishop moves diagonally... (just mentioning it, no linksync idea)

    scratch, scratch....

    According to Wiki, here's another type of brain tree:
    ----------------
    A typical neuron possesses a cell body (often called soma), dendrites, and an axon. Dendrites are filaments of protoplasm that extrude from the cell body, often extending for hundreds of microns and branching multiple times, giving rise to a complex "dendritic tree".
    ------------------

    Kind regards,
    Mimi Idegoehco

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I happened upon your blog while searching for info about Ms. Bishop. After hearing/reading about her history, I began to suspect Asperger's or, perhaps, Borderline Personality Disorder. Call it the sometimes curiousity of a mother of an Asperger's kid.

    Anyway....

    I have a six degrees of separation connection to Bishop, which I discovered when I saw a video interview with former Police Chief, John Polio. John Polio is my step-daughter's best friend's dad, and I've met the guy once. He was rather gruff, even in his old age. I've heard plenty about him over the years, since the daughter lived with him well into her adulthood (with her kids.) He comes off as a control freak. It would make sense to me that he'd try to hush/cover up a shooting if there had been a mini-breakout of violent acts in Braintree back in 86. I'm sure he just wouldn't have the press in his face and would rather "lose" the records and move on.

    Not that arresting Bishop back then would have helped her much. Neither Asperger's nor BPB were common diagnoses back then. She may still have gone on to allegedly attempt to bomb her prof and to kill her associates in Alabama.

    And, by the way, a previous comment described Asperger's as sort of between autism and ADHD. Not so. Asperger's is a diagnosis on the autism spectrum. There may be comorbidity with ADHD, but they are separate.

    My step-daughter continues to live in Braintree on the east side. It's a depressed area, and the the streets can be mean. She's deluded into thinking that Braintree is safe because there are so many yuppies with kids in the schools. I wish she would move.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amy Bishop was born on the 24th of April 1965.
    Apart from the Moon and the angles, Bishop has a remarkably similar astrological chart to Rage Against The Machine's Trent Reznor.
    There really is no better way to describe a Mars/Uranus/Pluto in direct opposition to Saturn and Chiron than RAGE AGAINST something.
    Trent Reznor delt with the rage through music and drugs.
    Amy Bishop delt with the rage by commiting murder.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I almost don't want to go here because the woman was obviously disturbed, and I don't want to suggest she doesn't bear responsibility for her crimes, but how does a person get away with a murder AND a mail bombing only to commit murder again? It makes you wonder whose project she was. The fact that she was involved in developing wetware and your personal connection is just bizarre, and too close to X-Files territory to be real. I mean, if I were you I'd be weirded out by the whole situation.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous4:11 PM

    Amy = Beloved

    David = Beloved

    Střelec = Bishop / Archer

    Archer = Bowman

    Anything to that?

    Please see also an X-Files fanfic I wrote under a pseudonym. The "Aimee Archer" character is cannibalized from a vampire novel I have pretty well abandoned.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  28. LD- Plus the 44th Super Bowl.

    Terry- It's almost like the brain is processing too much for it to handle.

    Mimi- Outstanding tip on the neurons. Thank you.

    Natsthename- Braintree does have a lot of street crime now, largely around the T and the all of the malls off Route 3. Not so much when I was growing up, but as I said some horrible cases of behind closed door crime and drugs and violence at the schools. When I went to East I walked through Monatiquot Village (Section 8 housing) every day and up the 'Path', which was a literal all-day open air drug bazaar that no cop or school official ever did anything about when I was there.

    A disturbing amount of child predation and abuse as well. Ask your Braintree peeps if they remember Dianne DeVanna. Her case was a million times worse than anything you ever saw on Twin Peaks- probably the most horrific child abuse case you will ever hear.

    I probably encountered Amy Bishop shortly after Dianne's parent's trial in the fall of 79, though I'm almost sure I never spoke a word to her. But she was not the wallflower the press is painting her as, that much I remember. Neither was her brother. I've put in a call with a friend who was in his class- I'll keep you guys posted.

    Suki- Thanks for the data. And stay tuned - this story isn't over.

    Nick- I can't begin to tell you how much this story resonates with me. i have a lot of family connections to Harvard and Seth's killing is eerily similar to an incident that had happened some years before to someone who my family and I were very, very close to. So it would definitely freak me out if I weren't so conditioned to all of this insanity by now. But there are still shoes ready to drop here.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Chris,

    The CBS Evening News chose reporter Seth Doane to report on the Amy Bishop case. A bit odd?

    Also, the link you gave for strange eye on twitter sent me to the wrong blog I think.

    SoapFan

    ReplyDelete
  30. I don't know if CBS is even processing Amy's name, but as you know I'm a descendant of John Doane, the famous Pilgrim, so it's interesting to me! This whole thing is a weird time machine- they just interviewed my 9th grade buddy Chuck (who's in gov't there now) about Amy. Surreal.

    http://www.patriotledger.com/news/cops_and_courts/x1025063099/Bishop-recalled-as-a-brilliant-person-no-indications-of-violence

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous11:46 PM

    supposedly she wrote 3 novels according to a report in Ipswich Chronicle
    "One novel was about growing up in Belfast during Northern Ireland’s civil war; a second was about a female CIA operative; and the third was a science-fiction novel in which Bishop used her science expertise"

    ReplyDelete
  32. Chris-
    This is so odd - as you know, I have been a 'student' of you and your blog for quite some time now. I also just happen to be a journalist living in Alabama, so my organization is following this story very closely. Weird that it would find a connection back to you! But anyway, thought I'd mention that yesterday, a local reporter I know interviewed Amy's husband. He says the two of them visited a shooting range only days ago. I got to thinking, for her to fire off a handgun in a room of six people, and actually HIT all six, and manage to kill 3, well, that's pretty remarkable. For the average untrained shooter who's not a cop or soldier, this is a very difficult task. Amy pulled it off without a hitch. I wonder why she would be so well trained with weapons? I wonder what her story really is...?
    I'll keep watching for updates, n let you know if I hear anything else that might shed some light.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Christopher thanks so much for covering this!!
    I just left a comment at aferrismoon's place- well had I come here first I would have KNOWN the two Amys were one and the same - this is beyond bizarre- and to think how close you were in a very real sense to this story - this is like an episode of the Fringe or Xfiles- really too much=
    isnt Braintree where our "original" father/son presidential family is from?
    they called the son "Q" -I know bad and stupid joke:-)
    i wonder if the 44 in any way could relate to the 44rth prez?
    altho he is 43 in actuality of course-
    so glad I caught this - and thanks for your amazing coverage of it- didnt hear a thing of this until this am when i went to "Twilight Language" blog and had been offline for several days- didn't realize you had covered it in detail - very spooky stuff-all the best to you as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anony- Excellent link. I had read she was into sci-fi when this all hit the news, and as I wrote I'm almost certain she was in my scifi class and was very engaged in it as well.

    Thrace- This story is all kinds of wrong, brother. But she was at a pretty close range.
    There's something so incredibly weird about all of this, but as I've said that's Braintree for you. It could just be psychosis, but that doesn't explain all of the times she's skated from her very violent crimes. As Nick said, there's a very powerful whiff of programming wafting around this story.

    Devin- If the X-Files were still on the air, this would a storyline. It kind of reminds me of both Blood and Wetwired. Interesting this happens around the time of the Vancouver Olympics.

    Here's some facts for you- when George Bush Sr was born his family was living in Braintree. Alphonso Taft -of Skull and Bones fame- was originally from Braintree, as was Sylvanus Thayer, founder of West Point.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous1:34 PM

    I suppose by now you've seen the clip where she denies responsibility as the cops lead her away. In response to the reporter's question as to whether she killed all those people, she said "No way... They're still alive." Is she saying there's no way that she did it, therefore the victims are still alive, or should we hear it as "No way they're still alive?" It all depends on punctuation, I suppose. And yes, she does look programmed to me. She may not even remember it. Of all the weird things that have happened in the past few years, I feel personally affronted by this, as if it were a personal insult to my intelligence.

    WRT Braintree: I have a good friend who spent her early childhood there. She came back from a visit there recently, and told me a bit about it. Among the things she said: the Great Depression never really ended there. Also, we joked a bit about it being Lovecraft country, and she said half facetiously that sometimes she saw random people there and wondered if they weren't part of the alien humanoid fish people from Lovecraft's tales.

    ReplyDelete
  36. On the graphic of the Mass. map, partly obscured by the hand is the town of Bridgewater (lower right)... I'm wondering, have you written on the topic of the Bridgewater Triangle? I've just discovered your site, which is really fascinating to me, so excuse me if you've explored the topic before and I'm just unaware of it. I'm 25 years removed from my home in New England (living in Japan all this time), but for some reason I still recall some of the stories about the Bridgewater Triangle, not far from Braintree.
    Chris Fitz

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anony- I know what you mean. As to Braintree- the whole area around the Fore RIver is a bit off- Quincy, Weymouth too. Always has been. I read a few years back there were massacres of Indian tribes in the Pilgrim days- makes you wonder.

    Chris- Bridgewater Triangle? News to me. I'll look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous5:29 AM

    Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous5:01 PM

    Hmm.. I've thought about this very much..... It does lead to other issues...
    frokostordning

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous12:37 PM

    To be a good human being is to procure a make of openness to the mankind, an cleverness to group aleatory things beyond your own manage, that can front you to be shattered in very extreme circumstances pro which you were not to blame. That says something remarkably impressive relating to the fettle of the principled compulsion: that it is based on a corporation in the fitful and on a willingness to be exposed; it's based on being more like a spy than like a treasure, something somewhat dainty, but whose extremely precise beauty is inseparable from that fragility.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous5:47 PM

    To be a upright charitable being is to have a philanthropic of openness to the world, an skill to trust uncertain things beyond your own restrain, that can take you to be shattered in uncommonly exceptional circumstances for which you were not to blame. That says something remarkably outstanding relating to the fettle of the honest passion: that it is based on a trust in the uncertain and on a willingness to be exposed; it's based on being more like a spy than like a sparkler, something fairly dainty, but whose extremely special beauty is inseparable from that fragility.

    ReplyDelete

Off-topic info, links are always welcome if kept brief, but please refrain from unrelated data dumps and off-topic lectures.

As always, I reserve the right to delete comments that I consider to be inflammatory or overly off-topic

If your comment doesn't show up, please email.

Please be aware that Blogger often dumps comments with hyperlinks into the Spam folder. Please try to avoid them, since it makes more work for me to read through the spam folder for your comments.