Friday, March 08, 2024

Deep Diving Under the Silver Lake


This Saturday night, we'll be taking a deep dive into one of the most revelatory (and Synchromystical) films of the past 10 years...




... Under the Silver Lake.




Here's a short piece I wrote on the film back in 2019...


BY THE LIGHT OF THE SILVERY LAKE

A movie I liked even better than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is Under the Silver Lake, starring Andrew Garfield. It's very much a companion piece to the Tarantino picture, in a very strange way. The writer-director whose name I'm too tired to look up at the moment was definitely going for that late 60s Hollywood Noir vibe, and does so with an absolutely brilliant score by...someone whose name I can't figure out from the iMDb page. 

Either way, it's a great soundtrack and made me feel like I was watching a Quinn Martin production, back when everyone dressed great and had great haircuts and drove great-looking cars. Like in The Invaders. 

Before the 70s came and everyone started looking like a sleazy asshole on their way to a key party.

Under the Silver Lake is not a film I can exactly describe, but it's a film I think everyone who reads this blog will grok mightily. It reminded me more than a bit of something David Lynch might make if he were younger, hornier and more pop-savvy.
 
It's got at least one face Lynchies will recognize and it's filled to the brim with ciphers, sigils and symbols, not to mention some scantily-clad starlets that are quite easy on the eyes. 

Plus, water and swimming and secret languages. 

I don't know if anyone's seen Die, Mommy Die!, but it kind of reminds me of that. Plus, Ritual of Evil. Don't ask me why.

I'd go into all the symbols and this and that, but I don't want to spoil anything. Plus, symbols and codes and secret societies and all of the rest of it aren't novel or mysterious anymore, they're everywhere these days. They're the New Normal. 

Your grannie is probably an expert at spotting sigils at this point. Probably better than me.