Astronaut Theology: Shapes of Things to Come?

In one of the earliest posts I did on this blog, I looked at the mission logo for the Constellation program, with its hidden 3/17. What I hadn't seen then was the patch, which is triangular, rather than the usual circle.

The shuttle program has introduced a number of different shapes for the logos/patches, though most seem to have stuck to some variation on the circle or oval or rectangle. This whole triangle thing is quite eye-catching, particularly given NASA's semiotic connections to Egyptian mythology, well documented by Hoagland and Bara, as well as on this blog.

All but one or two of the Apollo patches were circles, including the most famous of them all, Apollo 11. The iconic design has been reworked for a new project...

...that being the Altair lunar landing module. What caught my eye (no pun intended) here was the old "eye-in-triangle" motif, familiar from Masonic iconography. Here the Earth plays the part of the Eye. As far as I know this is a new variation, in that the Eye is usually meant to symbolize the Sun and/or the Moon.

The Orion spacecraft was unveiled on March 30, giving us a tidy reference to 33 and 17 (add the numerals 3302009). And yet there are 13 stars on the patch! This design is much like the Constellation, adding in the all-important stars of Orion's Belt, well familiar to fans of Robert Bauval. Funny how Hoagland used to speculate on NASA's original logo incorporating Orion and here it is now, out in the open. Just like everything else these days.

Dan Brown fans might be amused by the use of Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man icon in the EVA Systems patch (EVA is a life-support equipment program for astronauts). Again the triangle and another encoded 13 (possibly a Templar reference, given the Masonic influence in NASA). Note: The Vitruvian Man is also on the Italian Euro dollar coin, which is a whole other topic.

So NASA is using triangles instead of circles now. Big deal, right? However, the thing that got me thinking on all of this was when I was watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind and noticed the folks in the alien/human exchange program were wearing triangular mission patches, which also had that old eye-in-triangle riff on them. And CE3K got me thinking back on the possible origins of the eye-in-the-sky motif.

With all the high weirdness- and the high tech hardware- in the air these days, you can't help but wonder if this new triangular design motif might not have some deeper meaning, other than the usual Masonic connotations. We're getting hit with so much from so many directions that this might not seem all that significant, but given NASA's symbolic fixations, it could be an important clue nonetheless.

It certainly fits in with the tenor of these very strange times we find ourselves in.


  1. Speaking of astronauts, Chris, this is from the Dr Edgar Mitchell section of the X-Conference website, a Project Disclosure themed weekend conference, to take place @ the Hilton in Gaithersburg, Maryland, the weekend of April 17-19, 2009 (Graham Hancock is ALSO going to be a scheduled speaker):

    Edgar Mitchell, PhD - Special Presentation (Lecture)
    On January 31, 1971, Navy Captain Dr. Edgar Mitchell embarked on a journey into outer space that resulted in becoming the sixth man to walk on the moon. The Apollo 14 mission was NASA's third manned lunar landing. This historic journey ended safely nine days later on February 9, 1971. It was an audacious time in the history of mankind. For Mitchell, however, the most extraordinary journey was yet to come.

    As he hurtled earthward through the abyss between the two worlds, Mitchell became engulfed by a profound sensation "a sense of universal connectedness." He intuitively sensed that his presence, that of his fellow astronauts, and that of the planet in the window were all part of a deliberate, universal process and that the glittering cosmos itself was in some way conscious. The experience was so overwhelming Mitchell knew his life would never be the same.

    Scientist, test pilot, naval officer, astronaut, entrepreneur, author and lecturer, Dr. Mitchell's extraordinary career personifies humankind's eternal thrust to widen its horizons as well as its inner soul.

    His academic background includes a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Management from Carnegie Mellon University, a Bachelor of Science from the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School and a Doctor of Science in Aeronautics and Astronautics from MIT. In addition he has received honorary doctorates in engineering from New Mexico State University, the University of Akron, Carnegie Mellon University and a ScD from Embry-Riddle University.

    Dr. Mitchell has received many awards and honors and was inducted to the Space Hall of Fame in 1979 and the Astronaut Hall of Fame in 1998.

    After retiring from the Navy in 1972, Dr. Mitchell founded the Institute of Noetic Sciences to sponsor research into the nature of consciousness as it relates to cosmology and causality. In 1984, he was a co-founder of the Association of Space Explorers, an international organization of those who have experienced space travel. He lectures regularly on cosmology, human potential, and the implications of recent discoveries in science as they affect our individual lives.

    He is the author of "Psychic Exploration," 1974, The Way of the Explorer, 1996, (Third edition, 2006) as well as dozens of articles in both professional and popular periodicals. He has devoted the last 35 years to studying human consciousness and psychic and paranormal phenomena in the search for a common ground between science and spirit.

    “Suddenly from behind the rim of the moon, in long, slow-motion moments of immense majesty, there emerges a sparkling blue and white jewel, a light, delicate sky-blue sphere laced with slow swirling veils of white, rising gradually like a small pearl in a thick sea of black mystery. It takes more than a moment to fully realize this is Earth—home."

    “On the return trip home, gazing through 240,000 miles of space toward the stars and the planet from which I had come, I suddenly experienced the universe as intelligent, loving, harmonious.”

    "We're way, way past time for bringing this information to the public, acknowledging it and entering into the sort of discussions at the highest levels of congress and the government - to make this information available to the public. It's far, far past time for this. If we don't do it here, I don't know when we'll ever going to be able to do it."

    “We went to the moon as technicians, we returned humanitarians.”


    "I think our representative democracy is in danger....I think events are moving so fast, so very rapidly, that no one is really on top of it, and if we don't get the people mobilized here to demand that we get to the bottom of these issues we're talking about today...we're not going to have an opportunity forever. This is a key issue that we are talking about."

    Interview with Art Bell Show
    January 5, 1998

    Special Presentation

    Published Books
    The Way of the Explorer (1996) Special Collector's Second Edition (signed by the author)
    The Way of the Explorer (Putnam, 1996)
    Psychic Exploration (1974)

    Principal Website
    Dr. Edgar Mitchell:

  2. Good timing. Wanted to pass this on to everyone, pertaining to disclosure/UFO/stealth projects. Robert Morning Skys website.

  3. good post.....

    man, I wish it would get warm here on the east coast. I was watching golf today from Houston and people were in shorts. Here we have snow falling. I miss golf season and I don't hardly ever hit the course.

    If you spend a nanosecond sleuthing the synchrosphere in's all pretty clear. The collective unconscious of our kind is loaded with truths it does not either have a reference point for or does not want a reference for. Proof may be the real burden and knowledge can be as limiting as it is freeing. When I say reference point I mean some form of tangible truth. We need to change our perception as a whole. Too see from within. I see it pretty clear from within. Actually seeing may be the wrong term. It is more like interaction. This is why I believe what we call synchronicity is the beginning to a whole new way of communication. As if the internet was neurological tactile baby step in our growth. A growth where our brains begin the realize that we can develop the muscles for heavy lifting without the need of a keypad and monitor. But for now I see a need to clean up Earth. We have all made it somewhat messy.

    Great posting though on this. Who knows what those mission patches are about eh? I wish I had the Then again maybe I don't. Like I said, I am ready, as of today for Golf Season!

  4. hi chris

    your post reference to EVA reminded me of the EVE robot in WALLE. it was sent to find out if life on earth was able to be reseeded and throughout the movie EVE was repeated. the movie was freeky to me if you haven't seen it you should check it out.

    rothschilds cattle

  5. Dear M. Hunter.

    I love your attitude. Its positive and reasonable plus it coincides with my very own conclusions.

    Yes, there´ll be a "cleansing" but not in an apocalyptic or violent way, as most of the people on this planet wish.

    Through our galaxy runs a "ribbon" of photons approx. from the "north galactic pole" to the south. twice a cosmic year (ca. 24000 ys; i.e the time our solar system needs to ,make one full circle and return to its position where it started)our solar system transits through this ribbon (which is ca. 2000ys broad) thus exposing the planets including earth to higher photonic density (things get "brighter" earth and her fellow planets start resonating in higher frequencies; 8 hz during its normal transit and 13Hz while were travelling through the ribbon).
    We see some kind of a "cosmic shower" or a "planet-wash", the earth gets rid of disturbing frequencies with the help of "light" (in this case a bunch of photons). 2000ys later it leaves the ribbon again and crosses it 13000ys later again.

    There´s your "cleansing".
    Since Earth is a concious beeing it knows that and is vibrating with anticipation which every sensible man (or is it "sensitive"?) can feel.

    Its a totally natural phenomenon, nothing esoteric or "hidden"

  6. Addendum:

    We enterred this ribbon somewhat during the late 90s.
    The intensity of the vibration will get higher, since we havent reached the most dense point yet

  7. The blue pyramid, LOL. My little friend. He keeps popping up in strange places. Pretty neat stuff. Really cool post and blog.

  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

  9. The first clear, coherent memories of my life actually begin in early 1978, around the time I started nursery school. Close Encounters and Star Wars were very much in the popular imagination around that time, and my five-year-old mind tried making sense of both phenomena. In the summer of that year, I saw Star Wars at a local drive-in; for some reason I recall it being shown on a double-bill with the original War of the Worlds. I only mention Star Wars here because of its near-contemporaneous release with Close Encounters.

    I remember being fascinated by the mysterious, iconic poster of the two-lane road and the blue "sunrise" in the darkened sky. My parents even got me a coloring book, about which I can find practically no information online. The cover was white, with a still from the scene at Devil's Tower. A blue hue dominated the still, with Barry (the kid) standing off to the side.

    The coloring book was bought at a bookstore in Bowling Green, Ohio. This was in August, when my brother was getting his Master's degree in Sociology. He even appeared briefly in an interview on a Toledo news channel... I forget why, but I remember being excited that he was on TV. He also contributed to the coloring book by writing his name on the back of one of the people in a Devil's Tower illustration.

    Although I did not see the film until 1980 in a local theater (probably the special edition), the idea of the film captured my imagination. Based on what I knew, and what I saw in the coloring book, I was under the impression that Close Encounters actually took place on another planet. Most likely, I was conflating it with Star Wars. Still, even the most mundane images from the film seem endowed with an otherworldly air. The image of the humans in the exchange program is a perfect example. To someone unaware of the context, the scene could be in a church basement, perhaps with the smell of cookies for a bake sale wafting in. But then, they would be baffled as to why the congregants are wearing uniforms that look suitable for a space mission. (Oddly enough, I don't remember that scene at all from any of the times I watched Close Encounters.)

    Speaking of churches and aliens, here's a pamphlet for the stewardship campaign at my church. Congregants dressed as aliens even appeared during services, possibly for humorous effect. Unitarian Universalists are a unique bunch; lots of overeducated geeks (including your truly), so sci-fi fans are easy to find. Still, the campaign's theme seems a bit heavy-handed.


  10. I've come to understand the symbol of the Eye in the Pyramid as a Third Eye or Pineal Gland symbol, since the Pineal Gland itself is shaped like a cone. I'm not sure that observation goes beyond Masonic resonance though, it's kind of hard to know what's Masonic and what isn't...

    The "Eva Systems" patch is great, it's got an 8-limbed "spider astronaut" (spider's a symbol of Orion) and has similarities to the Constellation patch with the 3/17...

  11. I just saw Knowing. I thought I would hate it. I actually took in the matinee. I am alittle shooken up by it. If I would not of found this website, a movie like that would have registered like a 6.5 on my radar. But, from the movements of my life over the last two years, and this website...that movie shook me up in some ways. It got to me because I am that point where I cannot define if what I see is projection of the self or something interacting with me. Being raised to believe in something bigger I'd like to say it is the latter. But the grounded part of me, the man, says I can learn to train my brain in new ways and it may be me. Whales brains are all geared towards sound. Distance, mating everything is sound. My brain is trained off of the stimuli I receive. But we can go beyond that. And that is why with Knowing it shook me. I thought it was a quality sci-fi story that has me slightly affirming some things as well as asking more questions.

    Also....Some nice shots of Michigan from up above at the start of it. :)

    Go back and read your Knowing post now there Mr. Knowles ;)

  12. ...meant to say I am going to go back and read your Knowing post now.

  13. What caught my eye (no pun intended) here was the old "eye-in-triangle" motif, familiar from Masonic iconography.

    So, Christopher, you are one-eyed or is your other eye too busy looking at something else?

    Great post. ;P

  14. Cool patches... you know, it’s really strange since I have been noticing this “eye-in-a-triangle”… a lot. Funny, I have been looking at this same thing with movie posters and also its recent use in the movie KNOWING. I have been considering its relevance to the pineal gland (Dark City), the Egyptian-masonic connection (Tsarion), synchromysticism (Kotze), and/or just simple artistic geometric structuring. Hence, I tend to write less about what I “know” these are (in general) and am focusing more on just posting the images with overlays to let the picture do the talking. Take a look at my posts, they all touch on the eye in a triangle in a sort of “Where’s Waldo-esque" fashion. I am curious what y’all think. Thanks.


  15. FYI, Check out this Shades of Black article from Cabinet magazine.

  16. Many apologies for the poor links to my 2 posts above. Here they are in working fashion:


    Shades of Black

  17. Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone! It's another crazy day so let me get back to your comments later. As Linda Richman might say "talk amongst yourselves! I'm verklempt!"

  18. With just bits of info on computer screens it is tough to convey and infer everything skinjob. I would much rather meet and talk. I would much rather be baking some cookies now for a small group meeting with you all. When I look at someone I can tell you know. And sometimes that is good and sometimes bad. Depends on how long the car ride is right! I guess what I am trying to say it is tough to be intimate and show your vulnerabilities here online. But it is still better than nothing. I like listening to the way people speak and it is tough to do that through words on a pc or mac. And especially for this subject matter. Chris's website does a good job though of bridging the many gaps associated with it all. We are all just his color men announcers.

    As far as photon cleanses go, well....I hope we get these showers more often. For me or from my perspective it is such a great big planet. And yet now, with modern day communications, it can at times feel very small. The possibilities seem endless and I feel, for our people, we have much to be happy for and much to be concerned for as well.

  19. Hmm Well I was just searching on Google for some psychic readings and psychic articles and just came across your blog, generally I just only visit blogs and retrieve my required information but this time the useful information that you posted in this post compelled me to reply here and appreciate your good work. I just bookmarked your blog.

  20. Hmm Well I was just searching on Google for some psychic readings and psychic articles and just came across your blog, generally I just only visit blogs and retrieve my required information but this time the useful information that you posted in this post compelled me to reply here and appreciate your good work. I just bookmarked your blog.

  21. The future is an unknown sphere of reality and we are yet to discovery the many things that is fascinating us today to be more typical tomorrow.

  22. On June 23, 1776, the final draftof the Declaration of Independence submitted to US Congress. This day marks the start of something which changed the face of history. Nevertheless, little, small things would also be beneficial in the future. A simple act of giving a benefit of a doubt is enough to put a spark into something new. :)

    Love Psychic Readings

  23. I have to add in a few things. We do realize that concepts are a mere fragment of the mind. Theory never advances when we cease to recreate it in reality. The important thing about making decisions is that we should get to be able to walk the talk and risk for the things that we believe in. That's essentially what makes changes possible.

    Best psychics

  24. The universe is a strange macrocosm with thousands of undiscovered knowledge. As years will pass, more and more hidden things will be unearthed.

    love psychic

  25. Hi, you should check out the motif for the NASA mission: GRAIL!