Must See TV: Cyberpunk Documentary



We saw clips of this for a recent William Gibson post, now here's the whole thing. Functions both as charmingly dated (g)nostalgia for disillusioned GenX'ers like myself and as history lesson for those who missed the movement the first time around. As I keep saying, Cyberpunk is suddenly relevant again for several reasons, not the least of which is that we find ourselves living in a Cyberpunk novel, and not a very good one at that.

So give this documentary a watch before or after (your choice) Caprica (the last episode before it takes a cripplingly-long hiatus). Or if you like, you can download it here and watch it on your portable digital entertainment device.

6 comments:

  1. "we find ourselves living in a Cyberpunk novel, and not a very good one at that."

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Linear time is the prison of cycles sustained by unrecognized patterns.'
    -Goro

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Cyberpunk 101 lessons these past few weeks. Having missed the Gen X window by a few years, I always wondered how I was going to make sense of it. Instead, I was raised on Windows 3.1 and AOL 1.0...a PC and internet experience too well-framed by that point for the real meat of cyberpunk to catch my mind. Cheers to you, CK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a little young for cyberpunk first time around, but I discovered cyberpunk culture largely through two great non-fiction books: Escape Velocity by Mark Deary, and TechGnosis by Erik Davis. I'm fascinated by the culture (stuff like Mondo 2000 and so on) but I have to admitt never having much of a yen for cyberpunk literature. I'm probably the only person in the world, but I don't get the appeal of Neuromancer, AT ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers, everyone. I hope you enjoy the doc. It's been pretty rough going here at Secret Sun Central- we lost our little Bostie Mister Wiggles after a sudden illness. Needless to say we're all saddened - he was the sweetest little dog you could ever meet- a cartoon character come to life.

    Life is all too short and the end can be all too sudden- make it count.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very sorry to hear about your poochie- they are truely family mambers and in some ways the heart of many moments. Love and hugs to you all. Delorus

    ReplyDelete