Sun Gods and Forever People

Do you ever get the feeling that you're playing a part in some incredibly elaborate staged drama, that all falls together like a too-clever detective novel? I've been finding out that all of my disparate interests aren't disparate at all, but in fact very tightly and intimately and profoundly connected. I just didn't realize it. I knew the keys to the puzzle all along, I just thought it had to be something else, something less obvious. But it isn't. And it's not the key that matters, it's what's behind the door.

When I was in sixth grade I acted in a school play based in Norse mythology called Death of the Sun God. However, I can't find any trace of the script for this play*, or even any mention that such a thing existed (can you imagine a school trying to put that play on today?). I know I didn't hallucinate it, because my mother has photos of the performance.

But the play was the story with Freya asking all of the plants and animals to pledge not to do harm to Balder, the Norse sun god. She asks everyone but me, Mistletoe. So I'm sitting around feeling marginalized and left out (which I did all the time in real life) and Loki hears my whining. He then takes a twig or two from me (it was actually plastic Christmas holly we had in the attic) and creates a dart that kills Balder. Then Freya beseeches me to retroactively pledge (sure, now she asks) and Balder rises from the dead and I think we all sang a song. One thing I remember is that my costume kicked ass on the others since my mom was in show biz.

This of course was perfect timing for me, because around the same time I got my young paws on the first Thor Treasury Edition with the Hercules-goes-to-Hell story line. I remember I got it when I was at home and sick (which, admittedly, I was all of the time). And I remember keying into that because Thor was sick in bed in the Hercules story as well. Only I wasn't in bed, I was on that fateful sofa whence the infamous Leprechaun hallucination came. Quite an eventful spot.

If you recognize this, you are officially cool

But I recently came to realize that the Hercules-goes-to-Hell story line in that comic was simply Stan and Jack's take on the Eleusinian mystery cycle- with Thor as Demeter and Hercules as Persephone and Pluto as Pluto. And then the synchronicity of playing Mistletoe the same time I read that Thor story blows my mind all the more, since it so happens that Mistletoe has psychedelic properties and that it was used to treat sick children after Chernobyl.

And back around the time that I was seriously investigating 'psychedelic properties' I was also completely besotted with those same Lee/Kirby Thors, which all got kicked loose with the worship-worthy Tales of Asgard remastering project a few months back.

But I really am starting to wonder about Kirby. Twenty years ago a friend tried to convince me that Jack Kirby took LSD in the Sixties and that's why his work got so cosmic and whacked out. Of course, I've gone all this time not believing my old chum, but little discoveries like that page from The Forever People really make wonder. You can click on the Jack Kirby tag at the bottom and start to wonder yourself.

The backstory was that Ragnarok and Gotterdamerung had finally gone down, and Thor and Odin and the old Aesir were replaced by interdimensional aliens of the "Fourth World" who traveled back and forth to our world in a stargate called the Boom Tube. The Forever People were the hippies of the Fourth World, and in that scene there a young kid tagging along with them wants check out the "cosmic cartridge" Serifan keeps in his hatband.

Well, my mental jury is still out, but maybe that's just longheld supposition. Kirby was an guy who drew comic books, which was seen as the opposite of a respectable profession for most of his life. All I know is that I no longer pay attention to the conventional wisdom (sic) when it comes to anything of importance, since 'conventional wisdom' is an oxymoron. Certainly, the insidious and duplicitous nature of the 'official version' of events† has been scratching at my door recently when it comes to another longstanding obsession of mine, but that's a story for another post. In the meantime, question the answers and make the uncomfortable connections. Spit in the eye of causality and its bastard children, because greater wisdom awaits you.

Just be sure to double and triple check your figures. The stalwart defenders of 'conventional wisdom' (sic) are always on the attack and they never have to show their math, do they?

In other words, make sure you don't overlook that mistletoe...

SYNC LOG UPDATE: Serafan, meet Seraphim. On Salon this morning.

SYNC LOG UPDATE II: Strangeye points to a similar looking script to Death of the Sun God, published by an firm named Eldridge, which happens to be the name of my old elementary school.

*I know there are some myth-heads out there, and folks around my age, so if you remember the play - or better yet, know where I can find a digitized copy of the script- I'd be forever in your debt.
† "Official version" always implies that money is changing hands somewhere.


  1. Have you seen this article on the Kirby/Zappa connection?

    Two cosmically-minded guys who (purportedly) had no need of additional chemical enhancements. I may be in the minority on this, but I believe it (and I think Lewis Carroll fits in the same category).

  2. As Zappa points out, "Brown shoes don't make it"..

    The most long winded treatise I ever read about mistletoe is called "The Golden Bough" by James George Fraser. A copy is available at

  3. That should read Frazer.

    As far as I'm concerned, Mistletoe was the long haired leaping nome "star in a Hollywood movie".

    I appreciate your widening gyre approach to this blog. I will have to quote W.B. Yeats poem for the edification of your coterie.

    poetry | prints | cine | home

    WB Yeats - The Second Coming
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

    Surely some revelation is at hand;
    Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
    The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
    When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
    Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
    A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
    A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
    Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
    Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
    The darkness drops again; but now I know
    That twenty centuries of stony sleep
    Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

  4. Does this resemble your childhood memories of being a parasitic plant...

    VALHALLA - by W. Bradford


  5. Anony- you're a mind reader- I was going to put that in but the post was getting too long.

    Eric Swan- Well played sir. Yeats is always a morning tonic.

    Strangey- No- but there's a major sync in there- Eldridge was the name of my first elementary school!

  6. Hi all- Joni Mitchell set that poem to music and it's very moving- I love Joni.
    Thanks Chris for making my open my mind with every post. Delorus

  7. Hi Chris,

    Great post! Your real life is a "mythological" as any demigod ever! I can't wait to read your inevitable memoir about 20 years down the road!

    I can also always count on you to get my week off to a great Sunny start...with your synchs here to real life here. Just before I checked your post, I happened to have just read our local paper.

    I came across the only student good news article: "Harris Hawks, 17...earned the Eagle Scout Award...receiving the award on Oct. 18, 2009..." Darn if only he had received it on the 17th!

    Your work here makes my real life a little "mythological" as well!

    Thanks, Chris!

  8. Also Chris,

    Please tell me that Wal-Mart wanted to be just a little more than macabre over the Halloween weekend. My brother called me this morning and said that he had seen Wal-mart casket commercials.

    I googled it because I didn't believe him. Yes, Wal-mart with it's new solar logo and all are offering caskets and

    "Walmart caskets: Buy your final resting place online."

    Should we maybe take that "2012" movie seriously or is Walmart expecting some sort of mass extinction. LOL! What the heck is going on?

  9. Back in sixth grade, ironically, I remember being taught how awful the Soviet Union was because they only had one department store chain, "State Department Store" aka Gum.

    Just saying, is all...

  10. Hi Chris,

    I like your post and the blog in general is great. Myself and my co-author DarkStak888 do visit your sites often. I always enjoy your information and knowledge that I read here but haven't posted comments much.

    You said: "Do you ever get the feeling that you're playing a part in some incredibly elaborate staged drama, that all falls together like a too-clever detective novel? I've been finding out that all of my disparate interests aren't disparate at all, but in fact very tightly and intimately and profoundly connected. I just didn't realize it. I knew the keys to the puzzle all along, I just thought it had to be something else, something less obvious. But it isn't. And it's not the key that matters, it's what's behind the door."

    That's called an "Awakening". There are no coincidences. Everthing thing is planned through a thought form that you have no control over. Thoughts are not your own until you become "awake" and better yet "Aware". Awarness is your most powewrful insight to wisdom. Most people don't believe me, but you just clearly stated in your own words that it seems like we are in a movie...true.

    You are in a movie, we all are, we all live in a Matrix! Hard to realize it but that's what it is, a fake made up world through a thought process!

    So your movie, my movie, everyones movie is ours to change. To manifest just what we want in this 3D illusion. Don't let the outside entities try to control your world, use your free will, made a change in awareness.

    Nice to see you putting the peices together Chris. I'm in my fifties and have been awake in some way since I was a child of the 6-8 years old range and became more awake in my early teens. It still took me until my later years, forties and early fifties, to see what the hell is really going on in the world and to becaome AWARE.

    I'll say this, being here in this 3D illusion has it's challenges but it is nice to see and get to know (through these blogs, etc) that others, like yourself, care about Humanity. I will do whatever I can to help awaken people in his misguided world (awake the Sheeple as many NEMESIS and djhives).

    I'm not pro NWO and I will do what can be done to inform humanity of the injustice & deceit being served to them. The only purpose of the deceit, is to kept us (humanity) disconnected from our original state: Wisdom & Paradise.

    Nuff Said!

  11. I am officially cool.

    Page 5, Edith Hamilton's MYTHOLOGY

  12. Ah. The commercialization of death. Not sure if we'd have time bury our dead in the event of a cataclysm, but I figured I'd unearth a link to an older posting of mine, in case it's relevant.

    I urge synchromystics to watch Mad Men, which I refer to in the beginning of the aforementioned post. I've detected a few weird bits on that show.
    Some goodies:

    "You owe me $3.59 for the phone bill." (Season 1, Episode 11)

    "Six more floors to go." (Spoken on floor 17. 17+6=?. I think this was Season 1, Episode 7.)

    And probably many more.

    Incidentally, last night's episode was a Big One within the grand historical scheme of things, revolving around the assassination of JFK. (During the coverage, someone was standing in front of a door marked 317.)


  13. It wasn't enough that the Sun God had to die, yet after reading this post, I unceremoniously received some junk email from Air Canada titled, New sun destinations. A NEW SUN is rising, and I guess Air Canada, a member of the Star Alliance, will take us there?


  14. "I've been finding out that all of my disparate interests aren't disparate at all, but in fact very tightly and intimately and profoundly connected."

    Amen, Chris. ;-)

    Well, I think I'm about your age, and while my sad public school never staged something like Death of the Sun God, I was the generally left-out kid who spent a lot of her time in the school library, sitting cross-legged on the floor, breathlessly turning the pages of those mythology books, which we seemed to have an abundance of for some reason.

    A life filled with and inspired by mythology is a wonderful thing in my humble opinion. Which is why I enjoy reading what you write so much. Am trying to imagine the kick ass costume your mother designed for you! Photos?

    Pax. Kimberly

  15. Did you happen to catch the Toys R Us circular this past Sunday? Playmobile Pyramid, Pharaoh's palace, boat obelisk, etc. Link:|Playmobil&moduleName=Brand+Name+Secondary

    They are sold out.

  16. Delorus- you're welcome. I'll look for that Joni track.

    Soapie Please tell me that you made that story up! Harris Hawks? Sheesh! And yeah, Walmart. Unreal. But you know what? I need something cheap I'm there with the rest of 'em!

    Jedi-Right on- thanks for that, brother. I really think as hard as it can be to resist herd mentalities- and that's plural since conformity takes many forms, in the long run it pays off. Its better to struggle than despair. Thanks for tuning in.

    Mike- We always knew you were cool, so that's no revelation!

    Jason- MadMen- yes. I gotta check it out it's just I was so busy with my book I was backed up with my TVODing. I was thinking bout you, brother I got a bit on Wagner in the book. Now I gotta watch me some Ring cycle one of these days.

    SJ- Ah, the syncs are spreading! Right on- love it!

    Kimberly- Myth is mystery. Why do these stories resonate? I think once you think you know the answer a new question reveals itself. I gotta ask my mom to dig out the photos-there was a time when I was serious about acting- well as serious as a kid in middle school can be. But having to memorize all the lines gave me nightmares!

    Anony- Interesting. After digging into the myths I really came to realize that as much as I love the Egyptian myths, there's an assumption about a kind of hierarchy-an ordered social arrangement, 'you gotta do what you gotta do' and the rest of it that is not my bag. It's interesting that Odin is the supreme god in Norse mythology but his equivalent is Hermes, with more than a bit of the trickster in him as well. Different vibe than the Sun King thing. Which is why it's important to bring along yourdiscernment to the myths.

  17. As a child I was a black mouse in a performance of Lily the Pink - based on the story of a woman who made medicine for menstrual cramps. Not everyone's history synchs up apparently ;) That said I have noticed the weird conjunctions of random, apparently disparate, bits of knowledge I've picked up over the years. Makes you wonder what one is missing but blogging it means you can crowdsource it and cover the angles.

    On JK and LSD: the "everything moves" is a bit of a giveaway as it doesn't seem like a detail you'd come up with if you hadn't been under the sway of strong doses of psychedelics (it also seems oddly out of place). It needn't be that he took it as there is speculation your brain might produce endogenous DMT. I've wondered whether shamans and their ilk in the past were individuals capable of easily slipping into altered states of consciousness, through epilepsy, endogenous DMT, etc. (they'd either be scooped up as trainee shaman or killed as witches). In the Middle Ages you were either swept up by the Church or they get burnt at the stake (you see a similar situation with demoniacs and Holy Anorexics, they display similar traits but the latter under control of the Church so they are sanctioned). In more modern times they might end up being treated or shunned or they could become visionaries. I'd bet Kirby falls into this last category. You can probably stick him in the same class as someone like Swedenborg - he had some astounding visions that he could be seen as bordering on early alien abductions but they also fit with the "fantastic voyage" style proto-science fiction of the age (like Gulliver's Travels - see this for example) - you could say he tried to to express what he was experiencing in the acceptable mediums of the time.

    There are probably dozens of such "rogue visionaries" cropping through history, its just that shamans (and more recently psychonauts from Aldous Huxley onwards) have been trying to find ways to induce such visions for those who aren't "naturals" - dance, pain, drugs, etc. (see for example Grant Morrison's "abduction" which appeared in his Invisibles).

  18. Yes, Empie- the incongruity of the scene, plus the specificity of the language is telling as well. I remember one interesting experience with the missus and I and Evening Star by Fripp and Eno. That FP scene reminded me of it. Great comment Empie.

    Great comments, everybody. It's really gratified when we hit the same groove like that. Myth is such a powerful thing- I'm really seeing as a kind of psychic code in a strange software like model. Sort of a postmodern spin on Jung.

  19. Mad Men is a great show, whether or not there's synchromystic stuff contained therein. I've just had this sneaking suspicion that there's more going on beneath the surface than is being let on. The show has two redheads, for starters. Too bad Elizabeth Moss was never used for a young Scully.

    I have yet to plow through the complete Ring myself, just for shear reasons of length. I did record it when PBS broadcast performances from the Met in 1990. Which reminds me of an odd story....

    The tapes, which I lovingly labelled with some homemade covers scribbled in color pencil, sat on top of the TV. At one point, my mother realized some odd phenomenon involving the tape containing Siegfried (#3 in the cycle). Over the course of probably a month, it gradually moved out from the neatly-arranged set of tapes, with the cover eventually facing towards us. She put it back, but the phenomenon repeated itself at least once or twice. She thought I might have been doing it as a prank, but she said that after telling me about the phenomenon (which I noticed as well, and which my father remembers).

    I mentioned it to some kids in town who happened to be fooling around with a ouija board (evoking the "great wedgee" of the board). It said something about spirits in the house, and a message to "watch tape." Of course, me mentioning the tape might have compelled them to come up with the message. Still, I found it odd that a cat kept clawing frantically at the screen door nearby.


  20. Regarding Mad Men, there is an episode in the present season where the Barron Hilton character is upset with Don Draper for not "giving him the Moon"
    Hilton hires Don to come up with an adverting campaign for the Hilton Hotel chain and wants the Moon mentioned. Don comes up with a good advert but fails to mention the Moon thinking that Hilton was not serious with his request. Hilton is adamant: no Moon, no big account for Sterling Cooper.
    I remember doing a double take when i watched it because the episode aired around the time LCROSS was heading for the Moon, but didn't think about it any further. Until now.
    I did a bit of research and came up with an article dated 1999 where the director of communication for the Hilton company tells reporters about the company's plan for a hotel on the Moon as well as the company's participation in a space symposium along with NASA. This was followed by a fierce denial from the Hilton vice president. He also denies having any knowledge of the planned symposium. But the communication lady seems to be sticking to her original statement.

    Read the article for yourself. It leaves one puzzled.

  21. Something to think about...all!

    "Dumbing Down"

    The luciferian agenda is based on intellect, the DUMBING DOWN PROCESS – perpetuated through religion, science and magic. These three are synonamous and together form the luciferian doctrine of SATANISM, which is the ENLIGHTENMENT, or manifestation of knowledge.

    Since there is no such thing as an actual Satan, the THOUGHT PROCESS, conjured up the LIGHT, or ENLIGHTENMENT, and every DIVISION within the 3D experience. Yet again, more clearly stated, Satanism is DUALITY. Satanism is luciferianism, and is the LIGHT BRINGER, and therefore is the concept of the creator God. This fabricated notion of a creator God manipulates the masses into an even deeper hypnotic state.

    Today, this deeper hypnotic TRANCE state has surpassed what religion and science had accomplished hypnotically through the centuries, and especially in the last few decades.

    The reptilian brain obsessed thinkers have conjured up the notion of marrying science and spirituality. Though the implication is constantly presented that intellectualism is somehow an advancement in wisdom, in reality, it is the process of absolute disconnection from reality and wisdom.

    Nuff Said!