Fringewatch: Alien Dreaming edition

Did you watch the season finale of Fringe? If not, you can do so here. The show took its time getting its act together, but seems to have constructed a fairly compelling mythology. It's always good to see smart sci-fi on network TV, but there's still something a bit distancing about it to me. Which is a bit ironic since it all centers on my old stomping grounds 42º 71º, and takes scads of bits from my all-time favorite TV show and one of my favorite novels (my grandfather and uncle were Harvard men, to boot).

But it could be that the writers are putting all of the pieces in place this season and will start to deliver in the next. If so, that's a pretty bold strategy considering that viewers- and network execs - seem to have the attention span of a 14 year-old Mountain Dew junkie these days.

I'm especially interested in Bosto-centric sync winks. I got a kick out of seeing homeboy Nimoy in the house, since his mother and my grandmother were friends. I'm hoping they'll set an ep in my old hometown next season, especially since it's the former home to the General Dynamics shipyard. I mean, how a show like this could resist using a town called "Braintree" as a setting is beyond me. As you can see above, it obviously hasn't escaped their notice...

Cheers to Soundless Steve for the heads-up.


  1. Hey CK, pretty good stargate stuff at the end of the season! I just can't get into the Olivia character much. Spock is quite the reality jumper though.

    ps: obligatory damn the American-only hulu, It's a conspiracy! ;)


  2. I'm looking forward to seeing where this series is going since the "revelation" of the backstory (although I can't discount this is misdirection). I'm unsure how many episodes behind we are here in the UK but I'd probably not watch the last episode, even if I could (I also curse Hulu) - it is flawed, especially the two lead characters, but there are a lot of interesting ideas being thrown around, enough to keep me coming back to see how things are progressing.

  3. yeah, spock in the World Trade Tower was bizarro. Yahoo headlines is featuring another Montauk Monster, here.

  4. We don't get that in Australia (yet?).

    We do get American Idol within half a day of your screening, though. Here's an interesting tidbit from that one: last week one of Danny Gokey's 'family and friends in the audience' was wearing a black t-shirt with a picture of King Tut's mask on it. This week Randy Jackson was commenting on Danny's performance and in particular his raspy voice, which he referred to: ''re performing like crazy, sounding good in that kind of horus kind of tone like that...'
    I think he was actually saying 'hoarse' but it came out as 'horus'.

    This just seemed to jump out at me: 2 weeks in a row and 2 subtle Egyptian references on that show.


  5. Further to my previous comment - I watched this week's elimination show last night (the night after Randy's comment).
    It opened with Ben Stiller doing a bit of a skit to promote a new movie of his. The gist of it was that he was in a museum and the American Idol desk was being included as an exhibit. And what do you know? Behind Ben were a variety of museum type artifacts including a couple of Egyptian ones - one of those black dogs and a gold sarcophagus.
    Why would an Egyptian element suddenly make it's way into such a high profile show (they had 88 million votes for that show)?
    I'm thinking footprints...


  6. this show has been hit or miss at the beginning of the season, but i find the character of walter compelling...and such a flat out portray of the "multi-worlds" theory...especially with the last five minutes of the last episode was rather pleasing....and i have to say it's the first time i felt a jolt of shock as the camera pulls back in the last shock and i realized where olivia and bell were....look forward to seeing more.