Lucid Hallucinations

You find wisdom in the strangest places

Well, it's that time of year again- Slave to the Gods mode. Plenty of hot coffee and too many sunrises peeking in through the window. But strangely enough I keep having this hallucination- it's actually like the original "Secret Sun" dream. It will be well past midnight and I will swear that the Sun is out.

It serves to remind me that I haven't really changed since I was very young- I've only refined the formula. My obsessions are frighteningly the same. I justify all of this by telling myself I was born at just the right time and was paying very close attention to pop culture just as it was rediscovering its esoteric roots. Luckily that just happens to be true.

I've had a very odd notion as well- I've realized that this kind of blogging is really a variation on comics- using words and pictures to tell a story. In this case the story is the hidden and/or unconscious content of our pop culture. And what the various bloggers choose to say about it or what they choose to focus on is a kind of autobiography- here is my truth, tell me yours.

Then I had an even odder notion- maybe this kind of thing would work in an actual comics format- or variant thereof.

There's an artist named Trevor Von Eeden who's early 80s work blew a hole in the back of my head that still hasn't healed. Trevor was a child prodigy and began his career at DC when he was 16 years old. But he combined his prodigious drawing skills with a hallucinatory vision for a series of superhero stories that culminated in a shortlived fever-dream of a series called Thriller and then seemed to disappear.

Now, before I wrote Our Gods Wear Spandex I spent a lot of time working on a graphic novel that dealt with mind control, child abuse, posthumanism and the military-intelligence complex that I could never quite get to gel. I haven't exactly given up on it, but it's certainly on a back burner.

But one thing I was determined to do was recreate Trevor Von Eeden's mind-bending storytelling approach from those old stories I've read to death. Of course when I was working on the comic I didn't quite understand the centrality of hallucination to all of the mysteries that inform this blog, or the fact that hallucination may well be the catalyst for our primeval and subsequent neurological evolution. If Terence McKenna is correct, that is.

Now, blogging is great and all- but it still hasn't replaced publishing if you want to be taken seriously. But if I were to do a book based on the concepts discussed here, I couldn't really get away with using all of the screenshots if I put the book on the market.

But so much of all of this is visual, right? So what do I do then? Well, luckily I know how to draw. And that's where my trouble starts. A Synchromystic graphic novel? Why not? I'm a sucker for punishment.

Fortunately, my schedule prohibits even thinking about it right now, and I do have a new prose book coming out in November that I am totally committed to. But if words and pictures are good enough for Mike Mignola- or Carl Jung, for that matter- who am I to quibble?

Postscript: Trevor Von Eeden had fallen out of sight for some time before reappearing on a comics blog for an interview. When asked what he'd been working on he mentioned a graphic novel based on- what else?- Egyptian mythology. Here's his Isis and Osiris....

... and his Horus defeating Set. As far as I know it still hasn't surfaced yet, but you know I'm buying it when it does. Bonus factoid: Von Eeden had drawn some issues of The Night Stalker comic, which was based on Chris Carter's favorite TV show.

Everything is always struggling towards convergence.

UPDATE: Trevor Von Eeden on the Egypt book:

"I'm doing some preliminary drawings for a story for Yumy Odom, founder of the East Coast Black Age of Comics (ECBACC) and First World Komix, about the very first Hero ever -- who predates even the oldest recorded civilization, Ancient Egypt, since it belongs to their mythology.
"The character, Heru, is the first time that the concept of a 'hero' was ever created by man. The word hero is itself derived from the name Heru. The Catholic concepts of Resurrection, The Holy Ghost, God The Father, the Son of God, and Satan are all derived from the original tale of Heru. More popularly known as the Egyptian God, Horus.
"In the story, Ausar (Osiris) and Auset (Isis) are lovers. Ausar's brother Set An (Set), kills him out of jealousy -- and cuts his body into 14 pieces, scattering them all over Egypt. Ausar reassembles the pieces, and using magic spells, resurrects her dead lover. They have a child, named Heru (Horus), who grows up to kill Set. The thing about Heru that I absolutely LOVE is that he's not only the Falcon God -- he's also the God of 'Wisdom in Action' -- which means that after every fight, he grows smarter! Can you imagine that concept in a hero?
"A hero that grows smarter--not stronger, or meaner, or even greener--but smarter! Where has THIS concept been, all my life!?
"Oh yeah, that's right--buried in the Sands of Time, somewhere back in Ancient Egypt."


  1. A Synchromystic graphic novel?

    I'd buy it. I already own that graphic novel about the New World Order published by Image/Shadowline [by Gus Higuera?].

    All you need is a catchy title.

    How'about “Through a Glass Darkly”? [nothing says Synchromysticism like Biblical passage 1 Corinthians 13]

    Anyway, just don't abandon your ideas.

    As a lyricist, I find the songs I struggle with most while writing end up being my best.

    I keep a notebook full of unused concepts that I look at every so often. It's a great way to brainstorm; putting a new perspective on an old idea.


    ….the publishing industry sounds pretty awful. I mean, you're already a published author. Why would you not get taken seriously? [- thinking about it, I actually met a literary agent that was a total creep. He was condescending and kept bragging about his clients' books as if he'd written them himself.]

    You should make album art. Not art as in images. Just, design the covers and stuff. I swear, the music industry hires more graphic artists than musicians. [& your name even gets to appear in the 'lil album booklet. How cool is that?]


    Uh, I don't wanna go too off topic, but the Egyptian art you posted reminded me of this comic I used to read as a kid: 王家の紋章 "Crest of the Royal Family” [?].

    It was about this American girl from California time traveling to Ancient Egypt [predictably, she falls in love with the teenage pharaoh, cue adventures].

    I have the artbook; it's full of epic Harlequin-esque spreads of the main characters dressed as Isis and Osiris.

    Not really relevant; but certainly adorable.

  2. THere is a woman blogger and UFO cantactee who has been documenting her dreams, vivid waking experiencs and heavy handed UFO memories. Really impressive stuff. And it's happening NOW

    - and -
    there is a lot of dream stuff in my on-going blog: vivid%20dreams

    - also -

    Nice to see your illstration work. Curiously similar to my pen style (I think we both read MAD magazine)

    Do you have a site with just your illustration stuff? For work pro-mo reasons alone, it seems esential to anyone trying to pay the bills as an illustrator.

    Mike C!

  3. Chris K wrote:

    "I keep having this hallucination- it's actually like the original "Secret Sun" dream. It will be well past midnight and I will swear that the Sun is out."

    I am in Alaska as I write this. I'm in a place where that dream is REAL. The sun really IS out well past midnight. And i work for a school called NOLS! (pronounced just like that guy on the 20/20 episode)

    - and -
    THe word varification was: hercromy
    A really good mythic sounding word
    All throughout my live (especially in my youth) I had vivd euphoria dreams where the sun stayed up all night, and now I live that dream.

  4. Please do an audio recording of the Gods Wear Spandex. Would love to see it in that format, any chances

  5. Nice artwork on the Pantheon. Very very cool.

    You know, it's funny, the whole reason I understood what synchronicity was when I first came upon the term at your site, was because of an old idea I had for a graphic novel. (Apparently in 2006/2007:

    The entire idea came to me in a flash a few days after a powerful hallucination that seemed to open the secrets of the universe to me. Much of the experience faded like a dream, but the concepts of interconnectivity stayed. As did the idea for the book.
    I later saw versions of the concept in Crash and Babel, but nothing with the esoteric quality I had envisioned. Peter Palmiotti was going to illustrate the book, but financial calamity hit us both and put an end to the project (or so I thought).
    He emailed me about a month or so back asking if I'd like to begin work on it again. Since I have become submerged in synchronicity at a personal level and no longer only at an intellectual level, I was very enthused to say the least.

    I tell you this because I see the hesitation in your words. You wrote: "my schedule prohibits even thinking about it right now"
    Start thinking. Start drawing. Start Writing. Do it man. You know this material better than most. I say this as a friend, hoping to light a fire under you: Get cracking or I may beat you to it. And, even I think that would be a shame.

  6. PS: If you want to see my lemony-fresh version of Zeus watch this:

    Just for the record, my website has said for over a month that this video would be out today.

    "Everything is always struggling towards convergence."
    So true, so true.

  7. This post really got to me.

    I know what it feels like to say: I wanna do a mystical graphic novel but I'm too busy (again, we share this).

    Following one's bliss is hard work!

  8. Guys- I'm putting the finishing touches on my new book- will chime in tomorrow!

  9. Mike,
    I've come to realize that Campbell's advice was spot on. It's hard, but it's the only worthwhile way to live. If you have it in you to write it, then you should do it. PS: Listened to one of your podcasts a week or so back and really enjoyed it.

    Glad to hear you're working on your book. I know the prose one you're finishing off is different than what we were talking about, but it's still good to know you're writing. As to the graphic novel, I feel extra compelled to push you since you played a part in getting me back to my writing. If I can return the favor in any small way, I'm gonna do it.

    All the best and good luck to both of you.

  10. This was from Erowid this month, thought it might resonate

    umble and capable of surrender. Sometimes you’ve got to let go. It’s a balancing act, though–especially when there are other explorers who are counting on you for guidance and support. In a cartoon picture of a primitive village, you can always tell which character is supposed to be the shaman because he looks like a superhero. Shamans really are superheroes in a way, even though they don’t always dress the part.

    Now I don’t think of myself as a shaman, but I do think of myself as a psychedelic superhero, and that perception can really save the day when I’m facing down a swarm of hyper-dimensional clowns or I suddenly need to warp time and space in order to get to the bathroom and back. So I cultivate it. Not just when I’m on drugs, but all the time. Because it helps to be a superhero when you’re facing your boss down, too. Just think of yourself as a character in a massively multiplayer role-playing game called Life. Or rather, think of yourself as the player: design the character that you want to play and commit to it. The fact you know on some level that it’s a construct is a feature, not a bug. It means that you can step into it at will, and set it down without trauma when it’s time to transcend. Seuss dean and I have developed an entire mock religion around this notion. We call it Avatarism, which is a word that our good friend irReverend Alexander made up to describe the process of developing Character while still identifying yourself with the Player, the higher-self, and the seamless ground-of-being. If you know how to build a temple in Second Life, get in touch with me. I kind of think that it could take off on the Internet. That might just be my big ego talking, though.

  11. Just found this and thought of you:

    More of the fem-bot/egypt/pyramid/space-theme.

  12. レベッカ- By taken seriously, I mean by the world at large. All of these media appearances I've done have been because of Spandex. Editors and producers want to see that you can do something within an infrastructure, which is important for me since I don't have a degree. The thing with comics though is that they're so incredibly labor intensive- all of the big Manga artists have assistants and most American comics are done by a whole bunch of people as well.

    C!- Take pictures of Alaska after midnight and put them on your blog- I want to see what that looks like from your POV.

    FSTARR- Well, that's really out of my hands. It's up to the publisher.

    Alan- Unfortunately anything like that is so far down on my list of priorities its not even funny. The problem with the book I talk about in the post (and showed a bit of) is that every time I got a head of steam going on it I got pulled off for paying work. You know how it is- I can do it all myself but that takes time that I don't have. It's hard to find good people who will be committed to your vision unless you pay them. Believe me, I spent years and years trying to find help- if the guy was good he wanted money. Good job on the vid!

    C!- The other problem is the demand side- so far my writing has been a lot more successful that my comics work.

    Alan Redux- OH, I'm so damn jazzed on this new book I can't even tell you. And as far as the comic goes I have three other books in the Spandex vein either in progress or completed, so like I say...

    77M- Man- you hit the nail on the head. When I think of a shaman, I see a big pelt that looks like a cape and facepaint and all of the rest of it- it is just like a superhero. I hit on that vibe when I wrote about the Wizard archetype in the book. Act as if- very true and very powerful.

    Stella- No kidding. And she looks like the Queen of Sheba to boot!


    thirteen to centaurus

    You may have mentioned this when you discussed "Moon" and I am not on twitter so I thought I would post it here in reference to to simulation they are running in "Russia"

  14. Chris, I must say, you are one of the hardest working writers I read. All I can say say is Thank You and I I adnire your tomanasity.

    Now back to the post...


    The Rose of Babylon, The Egyptian Order of the Rosy Cross, The Holy Rosary of the Vatican, The London Rose, all of which lead to the White House and the Rose Bush family and their famous Rose Garden. It doesn’t end there, however. The Rose continues within the Qing Dynasty and ultimately to the Pacific Ocean that Rose, and is Rising for the final calamity.

    These chosen people of Babylon became known as god’s chosen people and, through a series of mythical maneuverings throughout these illusory ages, with countless conjured up ‘god stories’, the ultimate favoured nation of the lucifer (light bringer) lord became known as the Israelites. Remember though, it was only the rulers of the empire who laid claim to the divine right to rule. They in turn adopted a group (common Babylonians) to manipulate via the sharing of kabbalistic knowledge. Thus the shaman/priest was anointed and religion was established.

    Even today, many jewish people still practise kabbalism as part of their faith. However, it’s not only in judaism that one sees the kabbalistic principles applied (kabbalism is sun god or light worship). Christianity is also kabbalism. As is Islam and every form of religion in the world, including atheism. Different names, rituals and holy days have been applied, but the worship of a supreme being, the LIGHT, is the ultimate dogma. That supreme being is the light bringer, luciferian egregore, the conjuring group creator, who in turn are the kabbalistic group of thinking entities.


    As the centuries slid by kabbalism was employed by many other groups. Eventually it was passed into the hands of the Christian Roman Catholic Church and the Society of Jesuits. The Knights Templar (the Christian Crusaders) also laid claim to this knowledge around 1000 AD, which morphed into the Secret Society of Freemasonry as well as other Secret Societies today. The mystic knowledge is passed on to whomever is appointed to further the luciferian agenda, which agenda is, the intellectual learned knowledge of the 3 dimensional illusion. Learned knowledge is kabbalistic mind control through hypnotic repetitious indoctrination, be it religious or scientific in its make up.

  15. Sorry Chris I really messed-up these lines.....

    "Chris, I must say, you are one of the hardest working writers I read. All I can say say is Thank You and I I adnire your tomanasity."

    How about this correction...I must say, you are one of the hardest working writers I read. All I can say is Thank you and I truely admire your tenacity & integrity.

    Well, that's better.... :)

  16. I apologize, I do realize my words of encouragement aren't exactly realistic.

    I'm still young[-ish...] and lack the priorities that prevent you from dropping everything to create a graphic novel.

    Also, being a regular writer [whether a comic book creator, or fiction writer] is so much different than being a lyricist.

    In the music industry, you really can't take yourself too seriously.

    My words won't sell an album.

    It's the phenomenal advertising dept, the half-naked pop-tart on the cover, the half-naked pop-tart's recent scandal, etc. that creates [manufactures] the success.

    Just observing the ridiculously large guest-list at an album release party will extinguish most of one's ego.

    I'm shy and despise being the center of attention; I actually feel very comfortable under these circumstances. Although I can see how it makes some artists feel like they sold their soul. [Did I mention you get to appear on the 'lil album booklet? What an awesome tradeoff!]

    ...BTW, what you said in your reply about the publishing industry just furthers my suspicion of its absolute awful-ness. [Not having a degree? Why would that matter?, seriously, Creative Writing degrees are the academic equivalent of setting fire to thousands of dollars. If someone told me they had a Masters in Creative Writing, I'd think less of them.]

    I mean, if a Producer said to me “oh, I see you dropped out of College - I doubt your abilities” he'd get blacklisted. Most music industry musicians and vocalists aren't College educated. There's many freelance Producers that would appreciate our [non-College educated] talent. [BTW, J-Pop hands out blacklists like mints on a candy-tray. Producers with that sort-of attitude better not verbally express said belief]

    *blinks*...I'm just flabbergasted.

    [Call me naïve] I can't help but feel like you've been treated with disrespect.


    [I'm curious] Exactly what kind-of help would you need to create a Graphic Novel?

    Why would you have to pay [steeply] for the help?

    You mentioned Manga creators' assistants. Manga assistants are more like interns/apprentices. It's not exactly a career. Young artists looking to break-out become assistants as a way of gaining experience/networking.

    I'm sure you could find a struggling art-student that won't demand 50 bucks a page.

    wow, I type [talk] too much.

    Good luck with your latest book and any future endeavors. I look forward to purchasing your work!

  17. It is interesting how closely connected comic book artists seem to be to occultism and mysticism. You should check out Michael Netzler.

  18. Hi Chris,

    Horus was in the heavens over the weekend ;-)

    Dunno where else to send this, its a link to the bad astronomy blog on Discover, explaining the "ufo spiral" seen in Eastern Australia early on Saturday morning as being due to the privately-launched SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket. Even funnier, the launch time in the US was 18:45



  19. Sorry, messed the link up a little:

  20. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. My internet connection went wonky for a few days.

    I'm glad to hear you're doing all that writing. That makes me really happy.
    And I understand about the comic part. Time and money. Trust me, I feel your pain.
    I guess I just wanted to encourage you in what I read as a sort of "I'd really like to do this but..." moment. But I don't think you need it. You got this.

  21. Re:
    "All you need is a catchy title."

    What about "The Secret Sun" .-)