TVOD: Take Me to the Pilot

A lot of you recommended Flash Forward to me and pointed out it played into the 17 meme. I watched the pilot and enjoyed it, but wondered if you could sustain an entire series on the premise. My suspicions were somewhat reinforced by the second episode, which I didn't find nearly as compelling as the first (though I certainly find Sonya Walger compelling). In fact, I haven't finished it yet.

I noticed the same pattern with the second episode of Eastwick, which I couldn't make it through either. There's a lot of high concept genre material making its way to TV, but apparently not finding enough of an audience to sustain it. Maybe these killer pilots create over-high expectations? I can't say I'm overly enthused at yet another serial, either, particularly with all of these other storylines floating out there in the ether.

Whatever the case, Flash plays into the same Apocalyptic meme (and 9/11 meme, certainly) we saw in Knowing and the 2012 trailer. Which just goes to show that we're truly stuck in a weird mid-70s time-loop, with the entire world mired in a deep psychic malaise. I'm not sure stuff like this helps much. The end-of-the-world flicks of the 70s helped feed the Evangelical movement in no small part, but now even that culture is waning. I shudder to think what might arise out of this new wave of pessimism and paranoia.


  1. I agree Christopher, I have been seeing this manifesting in people's lives. There is a new sense of awakening being generated but what I see is creating anxiety and depression. It seems to be having drastic consequences on how we interact in our personal relationships with one another too...and not in a good way.

    People waking from a long slumber only to wonder how the heck we got to this place...the long explanation required to get them up to speed is too overwhelming for most.

    I don't know, it's hard for me to even put into words what I have been seeing/experiencing the past month or so.

  2. Yeah, second episode was weak. And the toilet humour didn't help. I must say that threw me off. A long, gross and pointless toilet joke. weird!

  3. Chris, I've long thought that many of the high concept series (Heroes, Lost, etc.) would have been better served as a mini series or maybe even a one-season maxi series and then a film now and then. The storytelling suffers a lot when dragged out over seasons. When the writing degrades, our attention spans follow suit.

  4. You said it, Oyin. I watched Lost for a while, but had to miss a few episodes and then was Then I happened to catch an episode that had footnotes at the bottom, and I said, "That's it. If I have to take notes to follow a tv series, it's too much work for me. I'll go work on my doctorate or something." :-) I don't like my light entertainment to be so overly complicated.