The Siren: Brendan Fraser/Elizabeth Fraser



The last great wave of music video revolved around the Techno movement of the late 90s. It was a musical revolution that never really came, but it marked the use of computer technology coming into its own in the service of video spots. Oftentimes, the videos were much more interesting than the songs they accompanied.

This video- "Lifeforms" by the Future Sounds of London- is fascinating for two reasons. First of all, it reflects an aesthetic that reminds me of Synchromystic philosophy in general, and some of the video work that Jake Kotze and Steve Willner have done in particular. It calls to mind the Entheological worldview, something that was certainly compatible with the rave culture that spawned videos such as this.

Second of all, the video itself is yet another piece in a real-life Synchromystic manifestation I've chronicled on the Secret Sun, that being the tragic romance of Elizabeth Fraser and Jeff Buckley, and how the Siren archetype played into that drama. This song came out around the same time Buckley and Fraser began their relationship and hearing her glossolalia accompany yet more underwater imagery on the single version of this song (which can be seen here) is chilling in hindsight. The constant repetition of the Siren archetype in relation to Fraser in general, and to Fraser and Buckley's relationship in particular would almost be ridiculous, had the story's end not been so heartbreaking.



Speaking of Steve Willner, his latest videos touch upon the very rich symbolic strands of Brendan Fraser's career. Brendan Fraser seems to be the symbolic counterpoint to the real-life dramas of Elizabeth Fraser - his eternally resurrecting Osiris to her eternally mourning Isis.

In the above clip from 2001's Monkeybone, Fraser plays a comatose cartoonist named Stu Miley who descends into the underworld after a car accident on a rain soaked street highly reminiscent of Osiris' journey to death on the Nile - or Jeff Buckley's journey to death on the Mississsippi. There Fraser meets Miss Kitty, played by Marilyn Manson's former squeeze (and TV witch) Rose McGowan.

The Bast-resonating Kitty is decked out not only with an ankh, but a revealing top decorated with the falcon form of Horus and his Sun Disk. Extremely strange attire in the context of the story, but a perfect foreshadowing of Stu's resurrection. Stu is the pet form of Stuart, which recalls the Scottish House of Stuart, whose restoration to the British throne was a cause celebre for certain Masonic sects. Almost predictably, Stu's companion/alter ego/Id is a Thoth-resonating primate.

Speaking of water, Irish legend has it that Saint Brendan crossed the Atlantic Ocean with 17 other monks. The name Brendan means "Prince," which of course Horus is. So we have fresh evidence here of Egyptian Mystery symbolism having an influence on the early Celtic church.

I still have to finish up the Eloah-Isis-Beth Fraser series, even though the entire story has been told. If you haven't yet, check out the posts in chronological order. The appearance of archetypes from the ancient dramas makes the heart-rending synchronicity of the story all the more compelling to me. When I lay it all out in bullet point format I hope you guys will agree.

3 comments:

  1. Aye, i suppose the story has been told in full... it`s a pity Liz is so private,or doesnt finish her website, makes the whole episode seem even more mythological. At least J.Coleman hints at something hidden on and off. Even if she were to say "I have allways feared and loved the waters" or that her favourite cartoon is the Little Mermaid, it would be enough to blow my top off and dot the I, in a certain way.I suppose it`s for the best, then. Congratulations on the rest of the work you have been churning out since the first Liz-Buckley post, it`s massive! Hope you get that Shemsu-Hor idea rolling into book format, or focus on the godess Heroines. Whichever avenue you take, i love reading your posts. Cheers and good health, P.Xwhimsickle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, PX. There's a big diff between Liz and Jaz- think Liz could be classed with Geordie. Nearly oblivious conduits channeling energies coming in from the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your poignant reflections on Liz Fraser and Jeff Buckley-I gravitationally concur re: Liz as Siren-archetype-embodied.

    However, I disagree with you that Liz is 'nearly oblivious' about this profundity. Without going into too many of my own personal life details, suffice it to say that I have a profound inner connection to Liz, her Muse and her Music, active for 22 years now.

    I am blessed to have had a very enchanted physical encounter with Liz backstage at the Vogue Theatre, Vancouver in 1993. After having been spontaneously (and discreetly) gifted with a backstage pass when a 'techie' was touched by the flowers I cradled for my "Queen" (as I like to refer to her), I knew that Divine Intervention and a most synchronistic alignment was at play....

    After the Twins' concert, I waited gracefully and patiently for all the hungry, greedy folks to get their own little privileged piece of her 'famous' persona backstage. However, without knowing it, I was holding a much different space for a different kind of(re)connection to occur from within.......

    Liz took notice of my awaiting her on HER terms, not mine. When the crowd was sufficiently subdued by their prized autographed photos and CD covers, she gently made her way toward me.

    All I can say is that as soon as our eyes met, there suddenly appeared in my retina a very fast moving, radiant light which created the distracting sensation of having my peripheral vision fall away. When I silently moved to hug her, she welcomed a shared embrace and that's when I saw the 'source' of this light.

    Eyes closed, Liz so briefly in my arms, there appeared the most exquisite, intricate, beautiful and mesmerizing geometric mandala I have EVER seen. It pulsed with a very high vibration of Light, Life and Love.

    When she released the embrace (I would have held on for longer to be sure)she appeared lucid of there being a strong presence invoked by our hug and she said, 'You are very kind...'

    I took that the mean KINDred.

    Immediately, I had a very powerful rush of emotion from my heart and began to weep. I sincerely thanked her, gifted her with an original poem and a small bag of earthy talismans collected from BC forests. I then left without asking her for anything.

    My first-hand psychic impression of Liz is that she IS rather aware of her earthy, ancestral Sidhe(Faery) connection, (which you seem to think is Sirian????) This 'contract' offers a deep and powerful source of creative inspiration for her. She has channeled this into her unique "Liz-Speak" lyrics and those collaborative projects (like FSOL, This Mortal Coil..etc) which help express strong aspects of the Elemental Realm in a distinctly human way.

    Liz simply, and I believe deliberately, chooses Sacred Silence about Truths which lose their magical potency when spoken of, especially to uninitiated ears.

    Elizabeth Fraser is a deeply humble and enchanted/ enchanting woman who knows and experiences much more than her public profile will ever reveal. I am glad of it. I love her and remember her too.

    This, however, is only my own opinion shaped from direct, intuitive experience. This is not being expressed to make a new kind of cute, gossamer-winged cult-of-personality out of a very inspired and inspiring musician whose tremendous gifts she generously bestows to us all. I am sharing this because there is much more to life than meets the "I".

    ReplyDelete