My Favorite Nightmares

Self-portrait, 1985

I came to a stunning realization over the weekend; my most vivid memories are of nightmares that I had as a child. By contrast, even many significant episodes in my life are almost completely lost to me, appearing only as fragments. My memory has always been a bit impressionistic, constructed not necessarily from events but from their repercussions.

But compared to those nightmares, even this morning is invisible. I'm talking a level of lucidity that approaches holographic clarity - memories that I can inhabit, virtual-reality style. Most of them transpired during a particularly miserable period in an unhappy childhood, but there a few that came much later, though they mostly harken back to the same period.

And most remarkable of all, most of them share strands of commonality with abduction reports.

Not that I believe they were in fact "screen memories" or dissociative memories of abduction phenomena (unlike the Leprechaun event, which feels like some weird Fringe-style inter-dimensional crossover the more I think about it). In fact, I'm all too aware where they came from. The point here is the ability of the mind -- particularly the mind of a child -- to construct a reality that transcends reality. And a reality that seems to share a frontier with the world of high weirdness, something I was too young to understand at the time.

The hallucinations (such as the Leprechaun and the Chevron) mostly came later- in fact, they began after a period of powerfully vivid dreaming came to an end, when I was about 9 or 10. It was then that I went, almost inexplicably, from suffering from chronic asthma to dealing with chronic ear infections, which brought on vertigo and the high fevers (105ºF was pretty common), which switched on the DMT circuits in my brain.

So I learned not only to distrust memory but my body itself. I still do, in many ways. Quite a crash course for a budding young Gnostic. In fact when I began my adolescent pharmacratic adventures, it was remarkable how familiar it all seemed.

The Owls are Not What They Seem: In Braintree, during the storms

And accordingly, much of this came with powerful Synchronistic emanations.

One of my very worst nightmares occurred in a house that otherwise responsible and rational people believed to be haunted. So much so that a spirit medium was called in to "cleanse" the house. A family friend spent the night and mistook the entity for another houseguest, only to find out the next morning that no such person existed.

Weirder still, when she returned to her own house, it was crawling with snakes (highly unusual, if not unheard of, for the beachfront neighborhood she lived in). That story stuck with me, believe it.

I never saw or sensed anything there, at least not consciously. But according to the medium, it was a protective spirit. And adding a new layer to the mystery that will unfold as the story goes on, that haunted house was near a beach where a whale quite mysteriously beached itself in 2006. Whales aren't supposed to be anywhere near those waters.

From the Secret Sun mini-comic, 1998
The other weird commonality in many of these super-vivid nightmares was a weird kind of plasmic light show, similar to the electrical storm (for lack of a better term) in the Leprechaun hallucination. There are variations on it but it appeared indoors. An irresponsible hypnotherapist might interpret this as the lights of a spacecraft waiting outside, but something tells me there's a much deeper meaning to it.

World's End: One of the earliest ones didn't include the lightning, though. My parents are still together, but this might be a wish-dream. I'm probably about 4 or 5. We're going to World's End Park in Hingham to fly kites. But my family leaves me in the car and disappear. I'm sitting in the backseat, alone and afraid. Then the car starts by itself, is put into gear and drives, while I scream for my mother.

Bonus factoid: World's End was originally tapped to become the site of the United Nations building in 1945 before the site on the East River was chosen.

Gone Underground: in a basement apartment in Wollaston, Ma 1972

Channing St.: I'm 5 or 6 and am eating supper with my sister in my father's basement apartment on Channing Street in Wollaston (formerly Merrymount). But I'm distracted by the too-bright light in the kitchen nook and for some reason I then focus my attention on the ketchup bottle. Suddenly I'm lifted into the air in my chair and whipped around the room like an a hellish amusement park ride. My family don't seem to notice- they continue to eat their dinner.

Sync Log: In January 2007, a pod of dolphins was washed up on Wollaston Beach, less than a block away from the Channing St apartment. ‘‘Nobody I’ve talked to can ever remember a mass stranding of dolphins in Boston Harbor,’’ said Tony LaCasse, spokesman for the New England Aquarium. ‘‘These dolphins were completely out of their winter habitat.’’

Bonus Sync: This is the same neighborhood in which the first mass pagan ritual was held by Europeans in the Americas, and was therefore dubbed "Mount Dagon" by the Pilgrims. Extra Bonus Sync: the local school's sports team is called the Lincoln Wollaston Knoll Dolphins.

The Mummy: This one is similar, but here the lightning appears. I'm 5 or 6 and in a room I don't recognize. The ceilings are high and made of glass. It's dark outside. My grandmother is babysitting my sister and I. Suddenly the light storm appears, but inside the room. My sister and my nana go blank, like they were turned off. A giant enters the room - it looks like a weird combination of Frankenstein and the Mummy, but also almost like an alien. It's coming for me.

Bonus Sync: I can't find the reference, but I've since read reports of aliens matching that description in UFO literature.

The Ren: It's a beautiful morning and I'm six years old again. I'm in the hospital but I think I'm going home. I look under the bed and I see myself, hiding under the bed. He/Me has a big smile on his face, but he's scaring the shit out of me. I ask him who he is. "I'm your Ren," he replies.

Bonus Sync: I found out much later that the Ren is part of the Soul in Egyptian religion. There's no way in hell I knew that when I was six. The Ren is part of the Book of Breathings, and respiratory illness was the reason I spent a huge chunk in my childhood in the hospital.

Hole in the Wall: I'm 7 or 8 (I had this nightmare in the haunted house but it took place in Braintree). My sister and I had switched rooms for some reason. I'm in her room, and we're playing with giant Disneyland-type cartoon characters. We're very happy, but it's time for me to go to bed. I open the door to my room, but there's a man standing there in the dark. I knock on my mother's door and open it and stand by the hole my father punched in the bedroom wall before he left.

But the lightning is flashing in her room, and she screams at me when I tell her there's someone in my room. I can't hear her over the sound of the storm. Suddenly a hand comes out of the hole in the wall and grabs my arm.

The Party: My mother is having another of her parties and the noise is unbearable, per usual. But my attention is focused on the window because there's a terrible light outside in the darkened yard. I look down and there's that unbearable light. This is one of my most terrifying dreams- it actually instills a gag reflex when I think of it- and I don't know why.

I don't know if this is connected but I associate this for some unknowable reason with one terrible summer afternoon when a sudden thunderstorm came and the aftermath left the sky filled with horrible colors. Nothing looked real- the shadows were so stark and the lights were so wrong it all seemed so horribly meaningful. For some reason, I remember hiding in the basement. It was around the same time.

The Secret Sun: Braintree, again. I wake up in the middle of the night, but the Sun is out. But it looks wrong- the shadows are too deep. But there's a giant out there again, this time it looks like a robot. It's looks as if looking for something, and I realize it's looking for me. I hope I'm safe inside.

Bonus factoid: That's the first of the many dreams that gave this blog its name.

Bonus Sync: As with Channing Street, there was an extremely weird dolphin death a few years back a literal stone's throw from my old house in Braintree (right behind an apt. complex where I had a paper route, in fact), in a fresh water river, a hundred miles away from their waters. From the Boston.com report: "Aquarium officials said it was highly unusual for a dolphin to stray so far from its regular habitat. They rarely even come close to Boston Harbor."

Dolphins, like whales, use the Earth's magnetic field to navigate.

A Mother and Child Reunion: With my mother in Braintree

Knock, Knock: This was the worst of them all, because it was the most plausible. It's 9 o'clock at night. My mother tells me she has to run down to Weymouth Landing to the store. I ask here to take me with her, because I'm afraid to be home alone. She gets irritated and tells me she won't be long. She leaves and I sit in the kitchen alone.

Then a knock comes at the back door but I don't see anyone there. I'm scared shitless. It comes again. I sit there terrified. Again. And then it stops.

Then all at once all of the doors and drawers in the house begin opening and closing by themselves, violently and rapidly.

Comment: This one never fails to put goosebumps on my forearms, since I'm only 99.9% convinced it didn't actually happen, and I can't remember in the context of waking up in terror like the rest of them.

Bonus Sync: This is the same back door that my mother had nightmares about (which she told me about when my first son was born), in the same exact spot I had the Leprechaun visitation. As I wrote in the Owls post:
Now, I have no reason at all to believe that my mother was an alien abductee, but there is one particular story I remember her telling me. She said that just before I was born she put my sister down for naps and then would often take one herself. But she would have this recurring nightmare that a "witch" was on the porch and was trying to come into the house while my mother was asleep on the sofa.
I've read a lot of stories like that in UFO literature.

Knock, Knock Part 2: I'm 17. I'm with my mother and stepfather in the Leprechaun room. It's late and we're worried that my sister isn't home yet. Strangely enough the light show starts up in the next room but I realize that it's a police cruiser parked in front of the house. We're in a panic. There's a knock at the front door. I go to answer it. I open the door and there's a cop on the porch. Without saying a word, he takes out his gun and shoots me in the chest.

Bonus factoid: I was doing a lot of dream work at the time, since I was taking psych in school. I remember I felt a sense of accomplishment when I had this dream. I have no idea what that means.

If you saw the Intruders film you remember the scene when the utility workers come to the abductee's front door. That was very similar to this dream but this dream dates back to 1983.

The Pilot: When I was a kid, my mother had a nightclub act. As a result the families of the performers kind of formed a big clan. We socialized, we summered together (in Gloucester, aka Innsmouth), we went on vacations together.

However, one of our group -- a 14 year old boy -- was killed three days after Christmas of 1974 by a gunshot through the chest (and suspiciously, shades of Seth Bishop years later). He was my hero, my big brother and he had a preternatural charisma and self-confidence that even adults recognized (imagine a young Jeff Buckley). This cemented the suspicions in my young mind that life was a string of miseries interrupted only by sporadic bouts of horror. Things got better later, thankfully.

In my dream, I returned to bring my wife and two-year old son to meet his family. But they had changed, they were involved in some weird, occult shit (this has no basis in reality, of course- it was one of the weird, cinematic dreams that I actually tried to work into a screenplay).

But I realized that, in their grief, they had come to believe that they could bring their son back by sacrificing another little boy, who would act as his guide back from the Underworld. The next thing I knew I was tear-assing out of the house with my son in my arms.

A woman came out of the house and pointed at me and screamed, "Stop him!!!! He has the Pilot!!!!"

SYNC LOG UPDATE 11:08 EST: Here's this week's horoscope for Cancers from The Daily Beast:

Cancer
Journeying to a primal place is in your stars. Especially when the Aquarius Moon huddles Neptune and Chiron, Tuesday: You are wont to explore the nooks and crannies of your subconscious mind for the combined benefit of increased self-awareness and intellectual inspiration. Rooting around for unique observations that have universal resonance offers emotional release to you, and comic relief to others. This is particularly helpful if you’re courting the muse of the written word. By Saturday, the Moon is gaining on Mercury, facilitating communication direct from your warped and witty psyche to pen or keyboard.

TO BE CONTINUED

41 comments:

  1. chris, great post mate. nice sharing. your usual lucid prose.
    i reckon that your mother,who is scorchin' hot by the way, is a mermaid. think about it;it would explain a lot.
    that shaking around the room business sounds a lot like an incomplete out of body experience.
    keep up the good work.i for one, have missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How weird that mere minutes before you released this post, I posted a facebook status about having a dream. How weirder still that the commenter above called your mother a mermaid! The pictures of you when you were small resemble pictures of me when I was small. I had a lot of wicked nightmares as a child as well. I used to often get scolded for climbing into bed with my parents out of fear. Sync-o-rama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating. In parallel I have had one or two type dreams that are so vivid they seem preternaturally real, even though I know they are dreams. One involved aliens but not your typical greys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chris... great post! Here's a synchronicity for you of personal interest:

    While I was reading my RSS reader this morning, I had another tab open with Pandora. I had it tuned to a station based on M83, an artist you've posted about before and like. Pandora is sometimes pretty good at finding similar/related things, so I use it a lot to discover new music.

    Anyway, right when I started reading your post I heard the most amazing thing coming out of my headphones. Absolutely great. So I clicked over and saw who was playing.

    It was a group called God is an Astronaut.

    You should look them up. I just grabbed their album called The End of the Beginning. It's really great melodic shoegaze-ish stuff, somewhat reminiscent of a cross between M83 and the better stuff from Coldplay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its fascinating to me how you remember all these dreams and events without writing them down?
    You have had some real deep dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started crying while reading this, the nightmares of a child . . . just undid me. I keep editing and deleting whatever else I wanted to say because I get shy and I get stuck, so I'll just say thank you for sharing this with us, your devoted readers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had night terrors as a child, ones my mother could not awake me from, as I screamed and climbed the walls. I have trouble remembering exact details, but there are flashes of feelings that connect me to that place. There was one culminating aspect to all of them, that always increased the terror. I have had moments over the years where I believed I had caught the specifics, only to have it slip away. My overwhelming opinion is that visual media is the root cause, that, as in McLuhans books, my sense ratios morphed out of whack, and I put much more faith in the reality of my dream vision than I should have. This combined with my learning to read at age 5, gave my brain an overwhelming amount of detail to grapple with. The equation being: reading Arthur C Clarke Mysteries of the World book, plus seeing Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind = ultra informed detailed dream reality. This is not to dismiss the validity of the feelings invoked. The contents of this brew equals a magickal invocation of epic proportions, summoning demons and visions that Crowley might have only flirted with, and this at the age of 6 years old!

    Thanks for writing about your childhood with such depth. You shine a much needed light on a topic that remains to be fully illuminated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My curious dream memory:
    I had a nightmare when I was in elementary school. I remember it so clearly, now close to 40 years ago.

    I was in a general store at night, there was an evil presences, I sensed a monster of sorts. I ran out onto the street, and everything was so eerie and quiet, I was all alone.

    (that's it)

    But, years later, I drove thru a neighboring town, and I realized that THIS was the location of my dream. The general store is all closed up, but I get the distinct impression that this is the SAME place.

    The town is Teton Idaho, the site of a curious crop circle in 2002.

    (link)
    http://hiddenexperience.blogspot.com/2009/03/this-is-event-from-summer-of-2002.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Intriguing, Professor Knowles, that both of us have had such a vivid dream (nightmare) life & both of us are Cancerians. Strangely enough, I well recall mine, too, and there was a repeat nightmare cycle, though different each time, that I used to experience. It/they involved a Naga, a mythological being who is human from the waist up, a long, winding serpentine body from the waist down. The one who came to haunt me was shaven-headed & had big ears. There did come a day (night) when in one Naga-oriented dream adventure, a little brunette girl in a white dress with a blue floral print conveyed her concern to me over being taken next. I then found the Naga's shedden snake skin, held it out to her, and we were both relieved that we'd never encounter him again. All of this one particular dream was conducted through a window that overlooked my then back yard.

    Since then, so many decades ago, I've had no other dreams entailing the Naga.

    Interestingly enough, Christopher, ever since I was a little kid I've been drawn to monsters. By age eleven, probably one of the all-time youngest members in the Mystic Arts Book Society (thanks to my weekly allowance), I acquired this old standby on teratology by CJS Thompson, The Mystery & Lore of Monsters. In it, I found out that an Old World colloquialism for monstrous births was Partus Lunaris, essentially meaning born of the moon. Mayhap it's just our naturally born dharma as Cancerians, a/k/a/ Moonchildren, to be more affiliated w/t monstrous side of our psyches, ya think?

    Thanks for yet another wonderful blogticle,
    Anadæ Quenyan Effro ~ (•8-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This made me consider my own childhood dreams - I think for me personally I don't put my dream memories above vivid normal memories, but it is interesting that most memorable dream memories are at parity with vivid real experiences.

    This includes a kind of Gypsy /Arab tent inhabited by strange woman I would visit with my sister in the woods behind our house (It didn't really exist but I always looked for it when I was younger.)

    Or the dream where my parents and siblings dropped me off in the forest at night with the wolves howling, then they drove off.

    -j. spring

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm intrigued. It would seem that sometimes people are gateways; not fully of this world, not fully of the other (s). It would seem that you are some sort of portal. Now, to find out what activates you--sleep state, lights, spatial... Once you know the way in which you get your information, you can access it regularly and at will.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dreams and nightmares are so fascinating, you've had some really deep ones. I used to have a re-occurring nightmare where I was on a tricycle being chased up a street by big bird. I turned off and went inside a garage, the electric door to the garage turned on and it closed. In the darkness all I could see were the whites of the eyes of all the muppets off sesame street. I had it for years after I stopped riding a tricycle and it still scared me...Then years later I had the same dream but when I was back in the garage with all the eyes, the lights came on and I saw all the muppets, then they all pulled their masks off, it was all the people I worked with, they were telling me to wake up. I woke up 2 mins before my alarm was due to go off.
    I'm enjoying reading Our Gods Wear Spandex by the way. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Chris-
    I got some serious chills while reading this!!
    On one level I am so glad it is to be continued because of your insights and honesty. but then I thought maybe that isn't such a great thing for you because of the terror of the memories.
    I read your work all the time and don't comment much for the reasons expressed by Diotima- but I also wanted to second her expression of gratitude towards you!!

    I can't wait to watch the video below and have it on my 'faves' on my 'channel. Thanks also for linking this to the Bishop story-some serious chills with that story too-'funny-odd' how some people seem to escape the long arm of the law but we also live in a nation where one can be sentenced to 90 years for a pot charge-sheer insanity.
    The pics added a great deal to this article of yours I think - your mom is very pretty!!
    we must be about the same age judging from the 72 photo.
    thanks again for your wonderful blog and all of your other work!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely awesome! I enjoyed the visit!! ;)

    P.S. You have a great memory! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Chris,

    Another amazing, personal post. I've always been fascinated by nightmares - and I connect with your comment about certain segments of your life seeming invisible or fragmented in comparison.

    Your post reminds me of a reoccuring dream I used to have, but it wasn't a nightmare. It was an enjoyable dream filled with a sense of mystery, adventure and positivity.

    I grew up in South London, in Upper Norwood, Streatham and Brixton - but as a kid I would often visit a place called Croydon, for family shopping trips.

    So, in my dream I'm wandering around alone in Croydon. I'm maybe thirteen or forteen, and there's hardly anyone on the streets. I find myself in a Soho/Chinatown part of Croydon that doesn't actually exist and feels more like a part of an american city like New York.

    But the weird thing is how seamlessly blended into the real Croydon this dream-area was. Like I could actually find my way back there if I only had the right fourth-dimensional map, you know?

    Anyways, I always found myself at an old cinema with a single employee - a little old black lady who sold me my ticket and acted as my usher. I remember recognising that we were old friends and that she found this whole situation amusing. I knew that in some way she was the Guardian or Keeper of the dream-cinema.

    I never once remembered what I watched in that place, but I was always the only one in there - and upon waking I had the distinct impression that I was being shown amazing truths and secrets about life, magic and mystery.

    It used to drive me crazy not remembering what I'd watched - because it seemed pointless, and I'm sure I mentioned this more than once to the little old black lady who was always waiting for me. I think she just brushed off my questions, and would often ask me questions about my waking life. My answers were always amusing to her.

    Obviously, when I got older and the dreams stopped I began to thing of them in akashic or subconscious or Jungian terms, but never really got a grasp on what it meant. I just remember the sense of tranquil excitment and positivity whenever I visted that place.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  16. Christopher, do you remember what type and frequency of the weather you had in waking life, before you had these dreams?

    Mine had been wacky since the overcast and rain took over the past couple of weeks, but I've had countless ET/spirit/effed-up dreams since my teens. I could also say that the Secret Sun giant and the leprechaun may have been ET contact, but I'd rather leave alone the mystery of the leprechaun, considering your past entries about it.

    I felt a chord strike when you mentioned having health issues in your childhood. I also had various breathing problems during my elementary and teen years, but I do recall dreaming of damaged and cindered "capsule walls" during fever highs in my early age. It's like being a Cancerian entitles us to an exclusive pass to the aether's underground.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A question I would like to ask is, can you remember the direction you used to sleep in? Ie., was your head facing north, south, east, weast etc?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Chris, this is Gene from IMCT. I found this really interesting--reminiscent of my experiences as a temporal lobe epileptic.

    I don't have much of substance to say, but a funny tidbit re: Merrymount: I'm a descendant of the William Bradford who exiled Morton and broke up Merrymount.

    Hope this finds you well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Raj-- I used to live in Croydon. Used to go shopping at the Whitgift Center.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I dreamt of you recently, at a point in time when I didn't know anything about you but that you are the author of "The Secret History Of Rock 'N' Roll" (which I haven't read, yet, but am going to in time...).
    In the dream, a man (with not much hair) in his late 30ies (appr.) with a yellow t-shirt was sitting at a writing desk and talking about your visual art. I saw several painted pictures.
    At the time I didn't know that you are a visual artist.

    What does the colour "Yellow" represent for you?

    Remote best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey again Chris,

    Since we're talking about dreams and nightmares, and because of Anon's comment about The Whitgift Centre in Croydon, I thought I'd share this with you.

    Back in 2006, a few months into my exploration of the Ouija board, I began having prophetic dreams, odd nightmares and just tons of high weirdness.

    In one dream I was in the Whitgift mall when I saw this girl in her early twenties up on a balcony. She had no shoes on and dark, intense eyes. I remember realising in the dream that she was a suicide - that I was the only one in that dream-space who could see her.

    I remember her telling me with her mind, "Don't you dare look at me...don't you DARE try to help me." There was so much violence in her, but telepathically I told her that I wasn't leaving until she let me help her. Her hair suddenly became like snakes or living, writhing dreadlocks - and she began this intense tribal dancing to a pounding drumbeat that appeared from nowhere.

    I remember she was shrieking and making gutteral moans and grunts. I knew that I should teleport myself up onto the balcony to be with her, but I also knew she was preventing me somehow. So, I just watched her do this violent dancing until she seemed to pixilate into thousands of tiny dots and vanished.

    This dream might sound humourous in the telling of it, but I remember the atmosphere was incredibly heavy and deadly serious.

    Now, I don't actually subscribe to the idea that suicides are damnned or trapped in some existential, spiritual loop like alot of cultures maintain. I'm not even sure if the dream was 'real' in some larger sense - all I'm sure of is that the dream contained some very powerful energies that were bubbling up in me at the time.

    I think the suicide theme was a metaphor of unconcious energies that were trying to find their way into my conscious mind, triggered or enhanced by my use of the Ouija.

    Not that I think it's impossible to meet actual people or souls in the dream realm, but in my case I suspect it was a very dark and powerful metaphor.

    Just thought I'd share that.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Proffessor Knowe loads,

    You help and move us all to remember, reclaim and review our childhood and dreams. BTW I love owls but, Ooh, those owls weren't nice.

    I reckon the Secret Sun souls are all now reviewing their thoughts and dreams.

    I had an ET dream a few morns ago.

    I was trying to get somewhere (as usual) and I found myself at Piccadilly Tube Station. It looked just like a Pinewood Studio style WW2 set of a station, ie Rural and very English. I went into the station but was faced with chaotic
    bits of wood and rubbish and after a while decided to emmerge from the station. (sound like a policeman)
    When I got above ground I saw fleets of UFO's, some landing and others ejecting soldiers or aliens....looked like soldiers who decended on invisible netting or ladders. They were shooting at us.
    I ended up speaking to on of the Aliens, who looked like a regular guy and I became a contactee.
    The most disturbing thing I felt about the dream was that the ships were offloading magenta-coloured cows into the fields, to which the Earth cows were very upset and incredulous looking. Wow, why should I be most upset about that?

    Isn't Magenta a character in Rocky Horror?

    Don't ya just love the psyche?

    Dear Raj,
    When I read your dream I thought immediately of Avalokitishvara's tale....The Buddha of compassion who becomes 'suicidal' at the endless helping of humanity across the sea of suffering & attachment and threatens to smash himself into a thousand and one pieces if no one comes to help ........

    "So, I just watched her do this violent dancing until she seemed to pixilate into thousands of tiny dots and vanished."
    ENTER:
    Tara, the Buddha(ess) of Active Compassion. Please look at this bit of myth. I believe you are one of hers Raj, if you don't mind me saying.

    Blessings on all of us dreamers, and may we find the Sense in it all.

    P.S. Considering the most sacred time of the Royal Wedding or Hieros Gammos, may I suggest a game for us all to play?
    Which known characters would make a marriage in heaven, and which in hell.....ie, Manson and Condo Rice, = in Hell and Bradley Manning and Katherine Middleton.= ?

    Flossigate x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Proffessor Knowe loads,

    You help and move us all to remember, reclaim and review our childhood and dreams. BTW I love owls but, Ooh, those owls weren't nice.

    I reckon the Secret Sun souls are all now reviewing their thoughts and dreams.

    I had an ET dream a few morns ago.

    I was trying to get somewhere (as usual) and I found myself at Piccadilly Tube Station. It looked just like a Pinewood Studio style WW2 set of a station, ie Rural and very English. I went into the station but was faced with chaotic
    bits of wood and rubbish and after a while decided to emmerge from the station. (sound like a policeman)
    When I got above ground I saw fleets of UFO's, some landing and others ejecting soldiers or aliens....looked like soldiers who decended on invisible netting or ladders. They were shooting at us.
    I ended up speaking to on of the Aliens, who looked like a regular guy and I became a contactee.
    The most disturbing thing I felt about the dream was that the ships were offloading magenta-coloured cows into the fields, to which the Earth cows were very upset and incredulous looking.
    Isn't Magenta a character in Rocky Horror?

    Don't ya just love the psyche?

    Dear Raj,
    When I read your dream I thought immediately of Avalokitishvara's tale....The Buddha of compassion who becomes 'suicidal' at the endless helping of humanity across the sea of suffering & attachment and threatens to smash himself into a thousand and one pieces if no one comes to help ........

    "So, I just watched her do this violent dancing until she seemed to pixilate into thousands of tiny dots and vanished."
    ENTER:
    Tara, the Buddha(ess) of Active Compassion. Please look at this bit of myth. I believe you are one of hers Raj, if you don't mind me saying.

    Blessings on all of us dreamers, and may we find the Sense in it all.

    P.S. Considering the most sacred time of the Royal Wedding or Hieros Gammos, may I suggest a game for us all to play?
    Which known characters would make a marriage in heaven, and which in hell.....ie, Manson and Condo Rice, = in Hell and Bradley Manning and Katherine Middleton.= ?

    Flossigate x

    ReplyDelete
  24. You do not know how much your memes are an inspiration for all human beings. All of Us. Speaking for our bio-synthesis, What say Chris Knowles about this atomic chaos that is invading our very minds. Shineforth brave and intelligent souls. Dennis/Denzo. Love exists.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Scary stuff. I just wrote a rap earlier today about nightmares and synchs.I've also had a self starting car nightmare(when I was 8 or 9) and a hole in the wall nightmare (which occurred last month, was of the type 2 false awakening variety, and involved lightning).

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ok, Wow. Thanks Flossy, will definitely check out that particular myth. Thanks for the heads-up. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Braintree talk has me thinking about this new Radiohead album "The King of Limbs" somehow...

    The 60s link continues in the blotting-paper artwork Donwood has created, which could be seen as a large sheet of LSD tabs. "I wouldn't like to push any of those associations," Donwood says coyly, before going on to muse on the idea of someone turning the innocent sheet into the drug. "In theory, not that I would propose such an illegal thing, but somebody could...," he says. "And I don't think that's been done as a marketing thing before."

    http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2011/april/king-of-limbs-radiohead

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for sharing these, I had no idea just how vivid your experiences have been, I can't say that any of my own experiences compare, I've never had any night terrors, or any dreams that fit into abduction scenarios. But I've had countless chase dreams, or recurring dreams about H.R. Giger's Alien, or dreams of traveling a great distance with an underpowered vehicle. Last week I had a dream about being involved with a NASA space flight, where I had trepidation about having to get into a pressure suit, and do a space walk. In the dream, we ended up on a planet with a NASA outpost, with the ruins of an existing civilization.

    I've always had an affinity with monsters, and I've had enough vivid dreams to where I could relate to this. I'm forgetting which X-File episode, But Scully made an observation that dreams are answers to questions we haven't learned to ask yet.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dboy- Well, this is my first day off in two months so it's been tough keeping with blogging. But at the same time I'm doing a lot of processing, so we'll see what comes out of it all.

    Mir- Glad to be of synco-service.=)

    Tene- Again, the question is raised- what exactly is memory?

    Adam- I think I might have posted something by those guys back in the day. If not here maybe on the Satellite.

    Muzu- They made a very strong impression.

    Diotima- And thank you for sharing as well.

    1236- Night terrors are another thing altogether. Which is why like the man said- The Dreaming Mind is the Doorway to Eternity.

    Mike- You're going to LOVE Jeff Kripal's new book, I guarantee it.

    Anadae- I had a feeling this one would strike a chord. It's like the musical question raised by The Chameleons- when you sleep, where do you go?

    jspring- Consciousness is an house with many mansions, there's no question about it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Autumn- Well put. I've never felt truly part of any world. I'm an outsider wherever I go.

    Cindy- That's a fascinating recurring nightmare- you could do a lot worse!

    Devin- I think a lot of kids in our generation were pushed between worlds whether we wanted to be or not.

    Tame- Selective as it is. =)

    Raj- That's the worst- when you dream some great revelation and it vanishes when you wake. Maybe that's the best available metaphor for our lives in the Archon's domain.

    Cyan- Cancerians are also called Moon Children, and if you believe the theories that weird shit is being broadcast from the Moon from who knows what it might make sense....

    Muzu- No idea.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gene- Well, that reminds me of Annaliese Michel, the girl in question in the Pil song. Turned out she wasn't possessed by demons (duh) but was suffering from a rare type of TLE. Starved to death in a waiting room...

    Defer- Yellow? The Sun. Dandelions. A child's hair....

    Raj- Medusa came a-calling. The Gorgons hide within...

    Flossy- All very Victorian, no? an era of dreaming in many ways, everyone from Aleister Crowley to Arthur Rackham to Beatrix Potter.

    517- Actually the Prodigy are from Braintree, Essex. Bonus factoid.

    Matt- Mulder first made that observation in Aubrey, and Scully reminded him of it in Paper Hearts. Signed, your local X-Files Obsessor.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Haven't been here for a while, great to see you in super writing form, Chris!

    Thanks for sharing this, fascinating depths of your inner mind

    If I may suggest a thing: I've always thought, based on your ever-restless thoughts poured into more than one medium, plus your distinctive ability to tie-in multiple facts/syncs/tastes, that you were a Gemini.

    Gemini natives are no stranger to languages, signs and messages, and thriving through IT in sharing them. They're good at compiling diversity.

    Sidereal dates for the Sun passing in Gemini : June 18 - July 18. The dates on most women's magazines are based on seasons (of the Northern hemisphere).

    I know that for many people, this sort of a thing is a (sacred?) belief, so, I'm sorry if I shatter their dream a little ;-)

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  33. These were chilling to me because of the striking similarity - not necessarily in subject matter but in theme and atmosphere, to childhood and adult nightmares that I have had. Especially the ones that make you unsure if they are really nightmares.

    Half the time I want to know what they mean. The other half of the time I'm afraid to know what they mean and try to block them out. I know that that's not the enlightened way of dealing with them, but when my mental stamina is low I just can't confront the images without fear overwhelming me.

    I hope to find out on a bright, sunny day when I'm surrounded by people I trust rather than alone and sweating in the shallows of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh God my dreams are so vivid, so real, that if I don't dream for 3 or more days I start to worry. I have recurring dreams from childhood and rather than being frightened by them I was awed by then. I was always in some very very strange place, alone, but headed somewhere to learn something , or get something.
    When I was 5 or so I dreamed that I was on some kind of flying craft. It wasn't an airplane because it seemed bigger and more like a flying home. I have these big expressive eyes (which appeared even bigger in my 5 year old face) and i was looking out into a black black sky, just staring and taking it all in. There were millions of stars everywhere. I knew I was in outer space. I vividly remember that feeling of awe and wonder. I was there for some purpose and still I dont remember what that purpose is but I feel like I'm getting closer to finding out. I am so thankful for my dreams. I'm also very grateful that you shared yours with us. It's more illumniating for us all than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I had to comment again to share the memory that the other comments dredged up for me.

    It was of one of the dreams I had as a child. I was in my living room, watching a news story on television. Huge saucers had landed all over the world. Little men, small and blue and generally with ram's horns and other animal-like features, had been coming in and out of the ships, and taking children into the ships with them. The commentator never said what they did to the children there, but no one seemed to be stopping or discouraging it. I didn't want to be one of those children. The dream ended with someone knocking insistently on the door of my house (and I knew that they had come for me) and me waking up crying. I still tear up thinking of it.

    I've had plenty of Greys (one of those animal, instinctive terrors for me), doppelgangers, and other suspicious things in my dreams, but this was the one that I felt called to share here.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Chris, great recall, I was simply blanking on the episodes, but I always liked that truism.

    P.S. Your Mom looks like a very kind person, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  37. For the Love of Chrysler, I can't believe that no one has yet pointed out that the dream of the Franken-mummy has incredibly strong correlations with the famous Pascagoula abduction incident —Hellooo?? where are the other UFO buffs? ;)

    PS: Chris, Re. your dream/hallucination of the giant Chevron attacking you, I don't know if you have taken a look at these videos —your post reminded me of them.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hey Chris,

    I grew up in (and still live in) Wollaston, not far from Merrymount and your Dad's old apartment. I'll tell you true, there is some weird stuff that has happened in that area over the years.

    A relative of mine was a police officer in Quincy in the 70s and 80s, and I heard over the years many stories of UFOs (the 1973 "flap" was well represented in and around Quincy), haunted houses (two I know of for sure, one my policeman relative knew of personally from the friend that lived there - and did he have a story to tell!) and other high weirdness.

    Sooner or later, we will have to compare notes.

    Did you know that the actual maypole from the Merry Mount still exists? I saw it as a junior high school student, in its place at the Adams Academy in Quincy. (BTW, they used to have some QUITE interesting items in the basement, but that was 30 years ago, alas).

    ReplyDelete
  39. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aCLWELBQ57k&list=EL1E7uPD8iPnA#t=344s

    The Pilot...

    ReplyDelete
  40. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete