What You Bring Forth...


Sometimes it seems hopeless to blog about the things I do, since it feels as if we're all watching a hurricane looming on the horizon. Some people have battered down emotionally and psychically, as every day seems to bring fresh reason for worry, some humanitarian crisis, economic convulsion or local atrocity having to do with guns and some individual who everyone knew needed psychiatric help all along but no one bothered to do anything about it until it was too late.

It certainly doesn't seem like the time to pull up the old rabbit ears and see what you can pull off the Collective Wireless.

But to assume as much is assume that all you'll bring forth from the whereafter is happy-fluffy-bunny vibes. This is based in popular New Age misconceptions as well as popular notions that clenching up is a sign of strength and not weakness.

One of the side benefits of my trance work is that my dreamtime is a generally positive experience and puts me in a stronger physical and emotional state to face whatever challenges face me during the day. I don't record my dreams any more for the simple fact that they're not particularly memorable, just like I don't keep a journal to record my day's events ("Dear Diary, that cup of tea was delicious! Well, back to work. Oh, look; an email from Gordon...").

But sleep is very important for people with my condition (that is, the "rabid dog of chronic pain conditions") and having had a history of sleep disorder in which dreaming played a part, the work I've done with trance has made a major difference in my overall well-being.

I think the same holds true with your basic centeredness. Tension and anxiety aren't just unpleasant, they are brutal on the immune system. This becomes a very, very real hazard as you reach middle age. Not only does meditation and exercise help to reduce the inevitable stresses life sends your way, getting a sense of where you stand in the overall scheme of things does as well.

A lot of people will look at the vastness of the Universe and feel insignificant. I find that contemplating the vast stretches of emptiness has the exact opposite effect on me-- it makes me feel grateful. I'm part of this unique drama. Whoever you are on this planet, you've been let into the cosmic VIP room.

Moreover, it's settled science that people who strive towards a deeper connection with whatever it is you care to call it-- the Infinite, the Ineffable, the Eternal, Doug, Ashley-- are able to deal with crisis and major life challenges more effectively than those who do not. I don't think it's rocket science here. It can be as simple as having a sense of mission, a sense of purpose. Goals are totems in and of themselves.

I think it's the same with magic and myth and all those other endlessly-discussed but poorly-understood phenomena-- they open the mind to realities beyond whatever mundane problems the individual is dealing with and create a sense of communion and community with something outside the self.

So, no, I don't think all of this stuff I blog about is inconsequential in times of crisis. On the contrary, I think it's designed for crisis, it arises from crisis and finds its fullest flowering in times of crisis. It's why the reality I wrote about almost 10 years in Our Gods Wear Spandex holds true today. And for better and most certainly worse, we may be just at the beginning of it.

30 comments:

  1. "The World is an over-ripe egg... whose hatching is long overdue. And one must consider the possibility that these are not the death rattles.... but the birth pangs."

    I suspect I'm even more allergic to fluffy-bunny fur than you are, but the above thought is what's been keeping me alive for most of my adult life.

    I'd much rather be a "midwife" than an undertaker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, birth can be a pretty harrowing experience. A dangerous one too. I guess where it goes remains to be seen.

      Delete
  2. So is this the time we pick whose spandex shirts we wear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I feel like this talk about trance, meditation, and communion is really important right now.

    My sense is that not only are major crises ahead, but that they are being manufactured, wished for, or created as an attack against us all. Certainly the propaganda that passes as "news" is designed to keep us all anxious to the point of sickness.

    My feeling is that meditation gets us in touch with something powerful and good. The exact nature of that "something good" is unknown to me. I don't know what else we even *can* do, but support each other, and try to find the "center", or "communion".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the manufactured as well as the real anxiety, the constant drumbeat of fear, now ridiculous threats like armies of robots. It doesn't seem to matter what media outlet either- I mean even NPR is following the same script.

      Your instincts are right in this case.

      Delete
    2. I guess my next question is: "Why? Who benefits from the rule of fear?"

      Like you said, it's the script. What are they getting out of it? Are they stopping all of us from accomplishing something with all of this fear and anxiety?

      Delete
  4. Cosmic vip room... Chris this is why I love reading your stuff. You put some of the vauge notions I have into brilliant perspective. You're a master chef of esotericism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't make any claims like that but I appreciate the kind words. If I can put a vague notion or two into words then it's been a good day.

      Delete
  5. The Secret Sun is internet station of meaningful coincidences. All who come here are tuned in. We channel your channel and have come to respect you and your outlook. Synchro mystics are tuned in, the more we fine tune our energies the more we can make sense of our station in this ever changing reality. Shine forth brave souls, and thank you Chris for your effort! 87

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Dennis. Thanks as always for your support.

      Delete
  6. It is heartening that your trance work has helped your condition Chris. Those of us who do not wrestle with the Rabid Dog of Pain but deal with lesser anxieties can have confidence that these disciplines can aid us also. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Keeping the rabid dog at bay often feels like a fulltime job...

      Delete
  7. I like this, you either fall into cosmic fear (hp lovecraft) or open up: "A lot of people will look at the vastness of the Universe and feel insignificant. I find that contemplating the vast stretches of emptiness has the exact opposite effect on me-- it makes me feel grateful. I'm part of this unique drama. Whoever you are on this planet, you've been let into the cosmic VIP room."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @M.RAYMO - Very nice. :) You've reminded me of my favorite line by Bones McCoy:

      "In this galaxy, there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that and perhaps more, only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."

      And it's true. We are each unique.

      Delete
  8. Recording dreams is probably good for alerting the subconscious to allow one to remember dreams. I slept in a black hole too many years until I trained myself to be more alert to dreaming by writing them down. Now I record only the more significant dreams, the Big Dreams, and share them with someone close because they are either prophetic or very helpful in some manner. They're effect is crazy wonderful sometimes.

    Though his dreams are nothing like mine personally, Robert Moss not only introduced me to "active dreaming" but his excitement and encouragement has had a profound effect in my belief that remembering dreams is vital to our well being. I found his book The Three Only Things quite helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing those thoughts Chris.

    "You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven." - Jimi Hendrix
    -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I'll talk about how I had ambitions to be the next Hendrix. Well, a left-handed guitarist who used a lot of effect pedals, at least...

      Delete
    2. I'll never be able to get over what Hendrix was able to do with a guitar. Not long after I started listening to him in jr high, I had a dream where I walked outside my house, and under the pool of light from the street light covering a wall of Marshall cabinets (a very dream like vision). After I notice the cabs, I suddenly had a guitar in my hands, I look down at it and hear Jimi's voice faintly say "Like this..." and I played a note and there was an explosion of light and that was the end of the dream. Always stuck with me. still gives me chills when thinking about it sometines

      Delete
    3. Right on Chris, - Yes, using effect pedals can unlock some righteous portal doors right to the heart. To andrewbigdoor, that's an awesome dream.

      Delete
  10. I've found musing helps in a lot of ways. You're a first class muser Chris and so are the people who comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if my musings can be of some use than that's all I guess I can ask, Cindy. Thank you.

      Delete
  11. Everything is happening now, and always has been. I liked to think that despite Chronos, time, linear causality, there is a dimension to every moment that is eternal, ever - present. When I look at at an image or photo I imagine it's a window in space - time, and I'm witnessing the thing itself behind a glass darkly. When I watch old home movies I'm literally witnessing the past as at happens. That moment's 'now' and my own fall into synch. For me that's communion. Similarly, we're surrounded by intelligences. Some of them are aware of us, some of them intuit our presence but can't see or sense us, and some of these intelligences have no idea that we even exist. But things can happen when their 'now' and ours fall into synch. Miracles, High Weirdness, artistic inspiration. We have unseen friends guiding us, helping us. They're not perfect but their intent is pure. Angels, spirit guides, Ragged Magi, as good a names as any. An artistic conceit? Think again, and think better. Love does not abandon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Search for chronic pain cannabis oil https://goo.gl/6RiIrv
    and you see many interesting things...
    Sadly still forbidden in my shit country...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a fairly new reader to the Secret Sun shores, and I'm constantly charmed and amazed at not only the content but the excellent commentary. Great work!

    I wonder if fear is the only button that power structures know how to press. Perhaps this sort of nihilism and despair-mongering is the logical endpoint to decades of scientific reductionism, where consciousness is reduced to a chemical abnormality and our dominant models in society treat us like malfunctioning automatons.

    I agree that meditation, trance work et cetera. are an excellent way to combat the constant (and damaging) low grade anxiety we're bombarded with every day. Not only that, but it gives us meaning, spiritual impetus and the added bonus of some mind/body healing on top.

    Great post, thanks for sharing!

    Diss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-Hi, Diss :)

      That thought you had about fear is the only button they know how to press is a good one. Maybe they spend so much of their time being afraid of losing control, privileges, or whatevers that they don't know how to feel or inspire anything else?

      Delete
    2. Hi Anna, those are my thoughts exactly!

      I'm sure there are exceptions, but this seems to be especially true of politicians. When you spend a lifetime trying to accumulate power, it seems to follow that power is the only thing that you can understand. Fear and power seem pretty synonymous.

      Perhaps Nixon should have tried sitting in the lotus position and clearing his mind from time to time :)

      Diss

      Delete
    3. And that creates a funny image in my head of the entire cabinet trying to get Nixon *out* of a lotus. XD

      Yes, fear, power, control - they seem like just a lot of negativity to wallow in.

      Delete