Sci-Fi and Paganism: The Secret History



I touched ever so briefly on this connection in Our Gods Wear Spandex, drawing on a quote from Lucky Mojo owner and former Eclipse Comics editor Cat Yronwode, who credited sci-fi fandom for the rise of modern paganism. Here Secret Sun ally Cat Vincent (ah, those cats) explores the topic in depth, unearthing a fascinating secret history that really cuts straight to the occult-culture matrix that this blog cut its teeth on.

Paganism and Wicca were only recently seen as spent mindfuel.  But neopaganism is not even close to dead, but is on the rise again, flying under the radar of the psy-cops and other Obsidian Orders of the endless Kardashian occupation.

Neopaganism and its tributaries are very much not my cup of camomile personally, but any resistance to the deadening and death-making mechanistic mindset of the oligarchy is a chip in the edifice- however small- of the robotic rationalists and their anthrocide agenda.

This talk covers all the bases and covers some ground that even seasoned wayfarers of the Wyrd may not have traveled and as such comes with the highest possible recommendation. This may not be for purists or puritans of the Pagan variety, but will certainly feed the brains of regular readers of The Secret Sol.

11 comments:

  1. Nice. Just as an aside, I remember when Cat Yronwode used to get her letters published in Marvel Comics, like all the time. XD She always seemed like a cool chick.

    I'm not into Pagan, Neopagan, and Wicca my ownself, but I know a few that are, they are all pretty cool, and like I told one lady online, *none* of them knock on my door to bother me when I'm happily busy doing something else, and no Pagan-type has ever threatened me with "Hell" or physical violence for being Bi, the way MORmONs, Fundies, and Catholics have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it sounds like you've never run across the Dianic/separatist crowd. There's intolerance in every community sad to say. And certainly those issues get worse when groups get themselves a little power. One of my bi friends told me she had constant problems with the lesbians in the LGBT group at her college simply because they refused to accept her existence.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I've had Gays and Lesbians give me grief. Some people think Bi people are just "afraid to be Gay". It gets ugly sometimes.

      I tend to avoid groups anymore. I just do my stuffs.

      Delete
  2. Yet another madcap sync-event, CLK.

    Those of A Certain Age may remember the golden era of the old USENET forums back in the 1990s. I used to hang out on the various alt.pagan.* and alt.magick.* forums, where Ms. Yronwode (and her eventual partner, tyagi nagasiva) were always a major presence.

    What incidental knowledge I have of herbalism and hoodoo (not really my path, but always curious), I learned from reading her posts, back in the day. (Much of that knowledge ended up in her large catalog of books on the subject now).

    Living in Salem, I can attest to neo-paganism not going away anytime soon. Beneath all that touristy kitch on the surface, the Real Thing does lurk.. and not just the white-light/wicca variety. (There's one block with an Asatru/Norse shop, a Hoodoo shop, a standard wiccan shop, and a Thelemic shop... all one after the other.)

    If anything, the community seems to have gotten more "substantial" in the 11 years I've lived there.

    Thanks for this video. I'll definitely check it out once I'm not behind a firewall (Praise the Company!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it, Michael. I worry since we are in an age when everything truly offbeat and non-conforming is being wiped out. I'm glad to hear there's some action in Salem since the last time I was there I was very worried it was going to go the way of Boston or San Francisco and become a boring yuppie enclave.

      Delete
  3. Has anyone here ever read, "Inner Paths to Outer Space: Journeys to Alien Worlds through Psychedelic and Other Spiritual Technologies"? The main author Slawek Wojtowicz, MD., is also a huge science fiction fan. There seems to be a very interesting synchronicity with concepts enunciated by Dune author Frank Herbert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of it but it sounds like something I need to check out...

      Delete
    2. I'm not a pagan, neopagan or a wiccan. I've had a lot of weird dreams though which suggest alien worlds exist and they can sometimes coincide with reality in odd ways. So that sounds right up my street, thanks Scott. Great work Chris thank you too, you really help me make sense of the world. :0)

      Delete
  4. Pages 260-261 are if particular interest and help differentiae between the dark and the light use of power, which some who hate all power and hierarchy refuse to acknowledge out of a kind of pessimistic resentment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it is true, Kowalski Pletcher was not my son....I was his fake dad. Now it's time for the paddy wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great talk from Cat. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete