AstroGnostic: Who Do You Think You Are?




This episode of The New Outer Limits came a bit late in the series' run and a bit too late for the abduction/hybrid mania that was gripping the UFO Underground, but is a nicely written bit of AstroGnosticism nonetheless.

Nora Dunn is surprisingly effective in a dramatic role (especially given her scenery-chewing turn in The X-Files' Area 51 farce "Dreamland") and the proceedings are very dark and intimate. Lots of familiar faces from various Ten Thirteen and Alliance Atlantis productions show up, as well as a fresh-faced Katherine Isabelle.

Still, I feel as if I'd like to see a different ending here. I'll refrain from spoilers, but there's a kind of pessimistic normality bias-- a kind of anti-Gnosis, really-- that crept into this kind of storytelling in the 90s that you didn't see in the 80s. I wonder if that's why people have much fonder attachments to those cheesy old 80s films than anything that came after. There's a huge lesson to be learned there, aspiring screenwriters...

Whoever wrote this certainly did their homework; anyone who's read up on abduction literature/lore will recognize all kinds of bases being tagged. The second series certainly lacks the original's iconic power, and there's all kinds of dross in its seven seasons but there's also some pretty fine science fiction to be found as well.

This should be everywhere so if the video doesn't show up for non-US readers, just do a search for Outer Limits Dark Child.

2 comments:

  1. Man, do I ever hate it when the videos you post have a message saying this video not available in your country. Not that it's your fault but it does ruin the flow and the post and feels us weeth anger so we're unable to absorb your glorious postings! I'd like to beat those censors with the communist billyclubs they so espouse! and then urinate on their corpses! no really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O jesus I was complaining about the freaking censors blocking the vdeos you linkto on your blog when the comment form forced me to signin to google. I was reminiscing on how I would like to beat the censors with the communist billyclubs they are espousing and fantasising on urinating on their dirty corpses. And the google comment box erased my comment. My point is all this anger mongering behind the scenes is preventing us from enjoying your awesome postings fully!

    ReplyDelete