Quake, Rattle and Roll

After a five-month marathon junket for The Secret History of Rock 'n' Roll, I wrapped things up on Nashville's finest chatfest, FutureQuake. I had a ball talking with hosts Doctor Future and Tom Bionic and we took the conversation very far afield, from covering the talking points of the book to exploring the very dangerous elements that have been infiltrating the Church for the past 40 years. Like Derek and Sharon Gilbert, Doc and Tom are that rarest breed of Americans - true Christians - who are even more worried about the Dominionists and Snakehandlers than secular folk, because they realize the first bonfires would take place in churches that don't sign on for the overarching agenda. Just like they always have.

This was a rollicking good time for me and I hope the same goes for you as well. Keep your eyes peeled for the next installment of the Dark City/Matrix opus...


  1. Wow - I just finished listening to the Futurequake interview and I am stammering. I've experienced rocknroll much like you described it but I honestly didn't understand the what why or how of it, which has been a puzzle for me most of my adult life. Thank you for the research and thought you have put into this. I have bought and downloaded the book already. Crazy, huh? :)

  2. True Christians?!

  3. I can see where some might struggle with this interview a bit (complimenting Christians) but it was pretty meaningful to me. We all come from somewhere. Chris, good job defusing the Alan Moore question in the context of their show. I "deconverted" from Christianity into initially skepticism, and what Kripal calls "naive materialism", a moniker I happily apply to that brief version of me. At around the same time - I'm lagging behind you in years by about 10 or so - grunge rock exploded in my home town. About the same time I had pocket money.
    At some point, as someone who can't stop thinking about everything the skeptical movement started giving me weird vibes (I de-converted from Christianity because I read the bible. It doesn't mean I hate Jesus or love Saturn.) And skepticism got properly left behind too, for similar reasons.
    Now I just float along. Alan Moore is just a cool guy. He is a lot less weird than a televangelist. I respect him, and I respect many Christians. From the Christian "rock" music side, it is a pretty barren landscape looking back in time (stryper -chuckle). But hey there were a few liked. Not the paperboys. (you mean the newsboys right?) The blatant "inspirational" stuff works better in real life when it IS the inspiration. Show don't tell, writers always say.

    -Jon Spring

  4. C-Knowles,

    Even though I am a little bit older than you, we share a certain chapter of music in our formative years.

    I saw the Clash live in Detroit, and I saw Johnny Ramone in the grocery store in the 80's.

    Of the few musical genres that truly touched my soul: Rock-a-billy, surf instrumentals, Booker T & the MG's, Punk music before 1980 - and Fats Waller (a statistical outlier).

    I also saw Frank Sinatra three times in NYC, twice at Carnegie Hall and once at Radio City (with Sammy).

    This stuff all slipped past the logic center in my brain, and entered thru my soul.

    Peace from Idaho,

  5. Another enjoyable podcast. Chris I have a question. To what degree should rock musicians , songwriters, or artist be studied or versed in the Mysteries? Isn't there a risk that if an artist is too studied, it can come across as too self conscious, or contrived? It seems to me that intuition plays such a pivotal role with artists, as far as following their muse, that these connections to the Mysteries only make sense in retrospect for an artist.

  6. "Show don't tell, writers always say"

    quake, rattle and roll
    but you never do nothing
    to save your dog gone soul