Suffer Little Children

While all the cable stations are busy worrying about the Balloon Boy and Reptilians and the like, there's another story they just happened to overlook. Not that I blame them, I mean, they have the public's trust to present us with the information that we really need. So I can see why a story like this just fell through the cracks...

Churches denounce African children as “witches”

His family pastor had accused him of being a witch, and his father then tried to force acid down his throat as an exorcism. It spilled as he struggled, burning away his face and eyes. The emaciated boy barely had strength left to whisper the name of the church that had denounced him — Mount Zion Lighthouse.

A month later, he died.

Nwanaokwo Edet was one of an increasing number of children in Africa accused of witchcraft by pastors and then tortured or killed, often by family members. Pastors were involved in half of 200 cases of “witch children” reviewed by the AP, and 13 churches were named in the case files.

Some of the churches involved are renegade local branches of international franchises. Their parishioners take literally the Biblical exhortation, “Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.”

Renegade? No.

No way.

American Church leaders know full well this is going
on in their branch parishes in Africa and elsewhere, it's just bad for business to try to stop it.

Don't believe me? Then read this: "Rick Warren's African Allies Tied To Massacres, Sex-Slavery, Forced Labor, Concentration Camps."

It all gets much, much worse, but there's only so much I can take.

UPDATE: This was on Red Ice this morning: US diocese delays sex abuse trial with bankruptcy move.

UPDATE: You knew this was coming. That is, if you read The Secret Sun...

UPDATE: The always-wonderful Acharya S slices through the media-induced Theist/A/Theist duopoly and opens door number three- free thought.


  1. I'm truly at a lose of words.

    we talk on this blog about all these mysteries, mushroom cults and AAT with some sense of humor (at least I have to) without losing the seriousness of the subject but this is very sobering.

    thanks for bringing this to my attention. Doesn't surprise me in the least to not hear about this on the news, I mean your right, they have there hands tied down with that whole balloon boy story, we can't expect them to just drop such an important event in history... see there's my sense of humor again... still its very tragic. I think the boy in the video at about 7 min. in sums it up best. Great Post!

  2. it's also interesting to note those three themes of x-files you like to mention: Acid, Abuse, and the widening gyre (i believe?) making its way into our consciousness, most illustratively in this story.

  3. In a horrible way, I can kind of see that.

  4. right, emphasis on the horrible

  5. looks to me like it is just another way for mentally disturbed priests to get little children in "those situations" where anything can be done to them in the name of expelling the demons ...

    I stress here that NOT ALL priests are mentally disturbed, BUT, there are some that go to the Church because of the psychological issues and problems they suffer. They seek and try to "get cured" through their commitment to GOD. While the concept is good in theory, it rarely ever has good results!

    I wish The Roman Church wasn't such a boys club with the pray-and-may-GOD-forgive-them-attitude towards these kind of things. Then they would actually address these internal problems.

    And I know you know, Chris, that the daily and nightly NEWS is not NEWS (in the generally accepted definition) it is INFO-TAINMENT!


  6. I wrote a post about this a while back. Very sad and disturbing. independent bloggers are the only reliable source of information these days.

  7. Tommy, I'm starting to realize that. I went through this phase where I kept asking myself, if the media is just a fucking circus, whats outside the tent, where can I get reliable information. thanks to blogs like this I'm starting to answer that. I'll check your's out, if you have any others you highly recomend.

  8. Children are under siege all over the world. Breaks my heart...

    Chris, I didn't know where to put this -- this morning on MSNBC's Morning Joe, host Joe Scarborough called Obama "The Sun King." They were talking about his high approval ratings despite high unemployment. I understand sarcasm, still, an interesting turn of phrase.

  9. Isn't sitemeter great Chris?! ;)
    Yes and No... I didn't sit there idle that long I left my computer on!


    More than 900 students were out sick with flu-like symptoms at St. Charles East High School, administrators said on Tuesday.
    "District 303 is following the guidelines regarding H1N1 from the Centers for Disease Control and the Kane County Health Department."

  11. On this topic of fascist violence perpetrated on the weakest of all in society, I'd like to share this poigniant Freedomain Radio interview with Jordan Riak, Executive Director, Parents and Teachers Against Violence in Education

  12. There was a funny synch with your column yesterday on Twitter.

    A Christian preacher wanted his 300,000 followers to retweet the phrase "Know God, know peace. No God, no Peace."

    Before long, Twitter's trending topics ironically and to the delight of non-believers, listed the phrases "No God" and "Know Peace".

    Reactionary Christians, who probably didn't know how the topic started (although it was very easy to find out) went into apoplexy blaming heathens and blasphemers for thwarting the attempt at proselytization, when it was simply a non-partial robot's programming at fault.

    The twitter network melted down, before Twitter allegedly censored the topics.

    These stories [ 1 , 2 ) (posted 17 hours ago!) explain in more detail.

  13. drudge front page 2 days ago:
    hey, now that's 9 with 11 zeroes

  14. Richard Henne is a friend and I think a partner of Scott Stevens of "Weather Wars"

    and here