Astronaut Theology: Invasion

I picked up a DVD of Invasion, a 1997 TV miniseries based on the novel, written the same year by Robin Cook. I didn't hold much hope for it- the cast wasn't filled with heavy hitters (Luke Perry, Kim Catrall and Rebecca Gayheart are the leads) and the production values on these sorts of things were rarely cinematic, to put it mildly.

That being said, Invasion is a must-see for Secret Sun readers, since a lot of the memes we've been puzzling over the past year and a half or so are all over this film, not the least of which are the 17 enigma, the Stargate and the Green Sun. This review is lousy with spoilers, so I'd recommend you track down Invasion and come back if you want to be surprised. However, the plot itself is pretty rote, so there aren't really many surprises to spoil here.



Here's your first hit- the action takes place entirely on the 33rd parallel, opening in Phoenix (which is on Interstate 17), taking a short detour to Atlanta, and then ending back up in the Arizona desert. Given the theories about the Babylon Stargate- also on the 33rd parallel - I'll drop a major spoiler here and let you guys know that the plot of the film revolves around the construction of a Stargate (though in Invasion it's called "The Gateway").

Here's another hit- the sunrise, which I've often wondered isn't a symbol representing the return of the alien gods. And strangely enough, we see a sunrise when Luke's character is first infected with the alien virus, beginning the process of colonization.



In Invasion, Luke Perry's characterº is the first to be infected with the alien virus, so he becomes the unlikely leader of the alien awakening. His girlfriend is played by Rebecca Gayheart, who was at the peak of her doe-eyed deliciousness circa 1997. The 17s are everywhere in this film- note that both 917 and 4049 add up to the Magi Number.



In fact, the invasion officially begins at exactly 00:17:00. How about that? (I'll be a wiseass and point out that 1+1+15 gives us the Magi Number as well).



Apropos of absolutely nothing, there's this sequence where we zoom in on a falcon, and then pan down and zoom directly into Luke's eyes. Strangely enough, I was just thinking about the Eye of Horus representing a flying saucer not a few hours before watching Invasion, and here we see this trenchant bit of symbolism. It's one of those moments where I realize that I pick this stuff up because I've been studying it for so long, but it's probably not put in for my- or the average viewer's- benefit.




And wouldn't you just know it? Cook is also the author of Sphinx, which dealt with an artifact from the time of Pharaoh Seti I leading to the discovery of a lost tomb. Seti should ring bells for a lot of you, especially given our recent look at the founder of C-SETI, Dr. Steven Greer. I should mention that Robin Cook is also a doctor.



This is another interesting coincidence; remember those shiny black rocks from Knowing? The ones that led the children to the cosmic arks that will help them escape Earth's destruction? Well, guess what...



...they're also featured in Invasion. The black stones are the vectors that carry that the alien virus that awakens our extraterrestrial DNA, implanted within us in prehistoric times. It turns out the aliens have been cultivating this planet for billions of years, waiting for the biosphere to finally produce a species capable of constructing the Gateway.



Which sounds a lot like the Black Oil virus from The X-Files. And sure enough, Invasion also deals with human-alien hybrids. I have no doubt that Cook was influenced by The X-Files, and in turn, the ever-ravenous Chris Carter nicked some ideas back. As we learned in the I Want to Believe post, everything connects to something else with Mr. Carter, so it shouldn't surprise us that the actors who portrayed two key players in the XF AAT mytharc were first in Invasion- John Finn (Kritschgau from "The Sixth Extinction/Amor Fati") and Neal McDonough (who played Robert Comer in "Provenance" and "Providence").

McDonough plays a Bill Gates-type character, whose wealth is being used to acquire the land and materials necessary to construct the Gate-way. A decommissioned air base is selected for the project.



After the infection of Phoenix is successful, the alien spores are released all over the world. We see them raining over four different cities; Washington (with a beauty shot of the Washington Monument) New York (with the WTC there) London and Rome. Fascinating selection there, particularly for all of you parapolitics researchers out there.



People who have rh-Negative blood can't handle the alien virus and they are sent in 28 Days Later-type rages before succumbing to massive coronaries. That's what happens here, but I thought the timecode was interesting nonetheless.



The plot is pretty thin- a team of doctors try to develop an antibody to the alien virus in order to disinfect the hybrids at the Gateway and delay the inevitable colonization. That being said, I thought that little signifier behind Kim Catrall's head* was pretty amusing in light of the connections between alien experience and hallucinogens.

The team succeeds but the lead doctor- who's been treating his own infection- succumbs to a deadlier effect of the virus with 17 minutes left in the story. Bangs you over the head with the 17s, this movie does.



Green is the default color signifying aliens in movies, but I thought it a bit prescient that the alien ship engaging the Gateway strongly recalls a green sun. One might even interpret that this symbolic green sun is ringed, just as the sun of Ra was.



True to form, the invasion is repelled- but don't worry, they'll be back. A setup for a sequel, or something a little more Sirius? Maybe to answer that question, we should take a deeper look at Mr. Cook. He's an incredibly fascinating character.

Aside from being a doctor, a protege of the late Jacques Cousteau and a successful novelist (shades of the late Michael Crichton), Robin Cook is also on the Board of Trustees of the Wilson Center, aka The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. Cook sits on the board with Obama Cabinet members Hillary Clinton and Kathleen Sibelius. That's what you call connected, son.

What's fascinating here is the mix of alien identity and esoteric symbolism in Invasion, coming from the pen of a heavy-hitter like Robin Cook. This ties directly into my monster manifesto from last year, Bringing It All Back Home, where I said this:
When you read the ancient texts - particularly the Sumerian and Egyptian- a picture becomes very clear- the gods descended from the heavens, created men and taught them the arts of civilization and then returned to the stars. Over time, scholars have seen all of this as metaphor. That's scholars for you. Everything is a metaphor.

But what if your business was power? Government, religion, the culture industry, the military- if you could somehow ingratiate yourself to these "gods" to the point that somehow they decide to align themselves with you, well, that would be the ultimate advantage. Wouldn't it? The question becomes how do you even contact these beings?
Now, there are a lot of theories about the periodic explosion of alien memes in the media, of which Invasion was part of. For my part, I don't know exactly what the agenda is behind it, but having lived through a few waves of UFOmania, I'm not much convinced of anyone else's theories either.

But I will say this: when you see an alien invasion movie, that's one thing. When it's embedded with all of this bizarre occult symbolism you see over and over and over again, that's another. When it's written by a guy plugged deep into the power structure, that gets my attention.†

I do think there are a lot of people out there who would very much like to contact alien beings and share in their power. But I still don't see any compelling evidence that anyone down here has, at least on any appreciable scale. But we certainly seem to rushing headlong towards something, and with Barackobamun there seems to be particular attention being paid to covering all of the right ritual/semiotic bases. What that adds up to, I can't rightly say. If you got a couple beers in me, I'd say that the symbols and the psychology tell me that the power players are expecting something big, and I'm not sure if they're sure how it will all go down.

I'll have more to say about Invasion in the future. In the meantime, I'd like to hear what you guys out there think. If you haven't seen it yet, drop what you're doing and get your hands on a copy.


NOTES

º Luke Perry's name is interesting- Luke is related to Lux (light), certainly appropriate in this film. "Perry" is of multiple origin, but my pet theory is that it could also be an Anglicization of Bereach, meaning "blessed."

*This is the second time in my life I've spent more than 5 minutes watching anything with Kim Catrall in it. I'd rather eat thumbtacks than watch Sex and the City.

Cook also spends a lot of time writing about infectious disease, which is the main plot device of Invasion. If that isn't grounds for a bit of worried speculation, I don't know what is.

32 comments:

  1. To be frank, this is the first time I am hearing of this movie. I am trying to find it as we speak.

    I definitely agree with you that there seems to be something headed our way. Question is: what is it?

    Perhaps, this article and video from my ALIEN Feature Stories might give us some insight: Video: Global UFO Event to Occur in 2010? / Catch this mind blowing video.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you definitely need to see it, Andre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW- it's such a bizarre sync that you send me to a link with the Kevin Smith Show since I've spent the entire weekend listening to the other Kevin Smith's standup stuff while I slave my ass off morning, noon and night. Well played!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watching the video I thought Criswell predicts Plan 9 from outer space. In a the year of two thousand and 9 we see the films District 9 and a film simply titled 9. And the last big 9 was 9 eleven. I'm seeing more 9's than 17's.

    By the way I stumbled onto your page, so please forgive me if I misunderstand. I'm guessing this has to do with syncronisities? If so, that's kind of funny that only recently started looking into this stuff and I happend to find your site after listening to Syncronicity by the Police.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to post this in the Kowing comments, but forgot...

    The black stone in the video game Ultima series(full of symbolism)
    it is called moonstone and is used to open a portal(moongate) and have the same shape/size as the ones in the movies...

    http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Reviews/Ultima/Ultima-Encyclopedia.html
    “A moonstone is a black stone that has the power to open and close moongates. There have been two moon stones know to exist. One is used by our leader Lord British, while the other is employed by The Avatar himself. Since the recent discovery of black rock, it has been found that the Moonstones are in fact made of black rock, thus giving them
    their ability to harness the moongates.”

    About the black stone symbolism I find:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Stone
    http://www.crystalinks.com/blackstone.html
    “Deities of other cultures known to have been associated with black stones include Aphrodite at Paphos, Cybele at Pessinus and later Rome, Astarte at Byblos and the famous Artemis/Diana of Ephesus.
    The latter's most ancient sculpture was, it is said, carved from a black meteorite.”

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chris,

    So nice to find a definite/vague connection to the power players and all this sync business..
    Please remind me why specifically 17 is the number of the magi("praises to the prophet of the most lovely star" or something else)?
    If you havent watched Luke Perry in OZ (HBO) he is an anglican priest, who can lay on hands, is buried by his former "flock" burned to near death, afterwards can astral project, and ascends after a particular time-pretty weird for a show about life in prison, eh?
    One more thing(again off topic), i didnt know that George Carlin in his "Religion is bullshit" segment professes to being a true christian-worships the Sun(but doesnt impose) and Oannes the Fish(Joe Pesci)-great stuff.
    Cheers and good health

    ReplyDelete
  7. KEv- 9 is very important around these parts too.

    Pictus- Awesome info!

    Bart- Great- thanks for bringing that up- I'll look for clips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey chris, thought you might get a kick out of this:

    http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1251145156707&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

    Madonna--the Mater Dei herself--is (back) in Israel and is set to meet with both Ben Netanyahu and Tzipi Livni during her visit. It seems she toured an ancient tunnel near or underneath the Western Wall...I'm sure it wasn't in preparation for influencing the course of world events or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw a ufo 4-5 months ago or so where I am, Brooklyn, Ny. Around 1am I go to my window to smoke a cigarette, and I look to the western sky. I see two stars and a very bright one. I think Can't be Venus, or Jupiter... It was Orange and glowed brightly with light emanations from it. It stayed stationed for a minute or so.. I wondered if it was an asteroid! How exciting, then it faded out, flew outwards. That was cool.. A minute later it returns more towards the northern sky, and this time moves slightly as it stationed. Then it flew / faded outward. So yeah I saw a UFO, lol. Either Alien, or man-made? I saw on youtube, more Orange UFO sightings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I watched district 9 last night. I don't know about X-Files and I'm not sure I'll get through Invasion after starting into it, uhg. Anyway, a "black oil" substance featured strongly in District 9. Anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  11. BTW, if anyone hasn't already 'tuned' in to it. Invasion is on TV.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderfully informative work again. are you aware of the theories surrounding the Rh Negative blood type and it's link to ancient astronauts? also it's the "universal" blood group and the only blood type that can be given to anyone, no matter what their blood type is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is it true Disney bought Marvel Comics??? Anyone....bueller?

    I will go watch this movie now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saw District 9 yesterday. The aliens spoke in clicking sounds. I think that the powers that be know what they sound like. The story line has a huge hole in it, all those prawn weapons. Why did they not use them when they were being treated like out of water shrimps from the get go? Vast weapon supplies that can only be accessed by alien dna. Pretty much a B movie. When will filmmakers make some good alien movies without massive carnage and militaristic shoot them up plot lines? Everyone has to have a gun in there hand in movies these days. So much violence so little time. Shine forth brave souls!Dennis. (look up the concept/ persona of Zurvan/Zurvanism) Unrelated to bad movies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My earlier comment suggested invasion at TV.com. I had seen it there but couldn't get anything but intro clips. I went back to have another go and remembered I got to it through tv.blinkx.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Guys- that Invasion was a short lived series from a couple years ago- not this one. Keyword Robin Cook and Invasion when searching.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chris,
    did you hear that DISNEY has acquired MARVEL for $4 billion?
    Forbes story on the deal

    ~SE~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joran Maxwell said that the rising sun symbol on the Barak Obama logo signified the return of the "gods" on the Alex Jones show in January.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, I saw that. I was thinking he probably read the Stairway to Sirius series here...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Maybe Stanley Kubrick was right after all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Chris,
    As I was re-reading the 'green sun' post that you did I remembered that some secret societies (like the Nazis) held in high regard the Black Sun. Perhaps this could be the other sun we are seeing in pictures and logos? You said this other sun is where the beings are from....Black Sun...black hole?? Eclipse??

    http://www.crystalinks.com/blacksun.html

    http://www.crystalinks.com/vril.html

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sun_(occult_symbol)#Nazi_and_Neo-Nazi_significance

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Chris and friends. Off the top, I beg your indulgence for a bit of acrorbatics, but I think you'll see its merits in a moment.
    I indlulge, from time to time, in what I call " Dumb Numerology". That is, whenever I'm observing the actions of some illuminated fraternities, like NASA, I'll work simple addition to see if they adhere to favorite numbers in scheduling, numbers of crew, etc. NASA never dissapoints, as illustrated in their last launch of Shuttle Discovery last Friday. Check it-
    I knew they wouldn't launch on Tuesday, the numbers didn't add up. I'd been counting on a Saturday launch, to get the numbers right. But of course, they were always one step ahead,
    and blasted off Friday. Something I hadn't been looking for, but which fit their plans perfectly.
    Here's how their numbers worked out.
    Seems this time, they were working around the occult favorite, 9.
    Launch date was 8-28-09
    Add 8 and 28, and get 36, or 4x9
    9+9+9+9
    Then, add the 36 to '09, to get 45 . That equals five times 9.
    9+9+9+9+9
    If you add all these nines together, you get NINE occurances of NINE. This makes occultists VERY happy!
    Again, these occultists are bound by thier rituals, and can't operate outside them. Oh, by the way,
    how many days will the crew be on this particular mission? 9 (Nine).

    Thrace

    ReplyDelete
  23. 8 Dead on Route 17 in New Hope Plantation on Sat Aug 29(11), 2009(11)

    http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2009/08/29/3205338-multiple-killings-reported-in-ga-trailer-park?commentId=9158161

    I saw this movie last year on tv during the day when I was sick and guzzling nyquil . It was a very surreal experience. I totally forgot about it, thanks for reminding me of it. I do remember now, thinking about how that movie got made. With such heavy handed stuff in it. When it is obviously A straight to video movie or made for tv. And then i thought of my mom's retired Italian construction worker husband who watch's bad cable all day. And if he saw that movie. And I tried telling him anything about the high weirdness. I know exactly what his response would be "What are you retarded I saw that in a movie." Just to crazy to have randomly seen this during the day. The absolute funniest part of the movie was in the cabin when they decided "We have to get on the internet and tell everybody". I was rollin after that it was so rich. I caught this guys video the other day breaking down. Some kids movie starring a little Stephen Dorf. This Movie is nothing short of pure craziness too. ENJOY.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTmAiq2e2Ak&feature=channel_page

    Here's another video on that guy's page. Showing a Let's Dance era David Bowie with Lady UghUgh.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbl60afZJt8&feature=channel_page

    Now A hymn for the morning star.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD_5Tp7W-Gg

    Beeret

    ReplyDelete
  24. hey what happened to the "Jesus, those lips" comment?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ha! I thought it was self-evident- and broke the flow. Keepin' it lean and is the MO here.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I (anon 1:45pm) saw the movie (first youtube link from Beereet,) The Gate a lot growing up. I have not watched a full episode of Fringe, but that night I watched that episode in that link... was quite the synchromystic moment. I was on the south tower when i was young once, and bought a king kong toy and a dinosaur, godzilla like toy in a store inside and had them fight while I was up there.

    ReplyDelete
  27. District 9 also is about a black liquid that infects a human and he turns into an alien... also, the alien vows to return (with "friends") in three years. Guess what year it is...

    ReplyDelete
  28. For some reason I thought recently of the album 90125 by Yes and noticed how the numbers were similar to the show 90210. The original series ended its run on May "17" of 2000. And the new series appeared on region 2 dvd on Aug. "17". Also the rebirth of the series premered on 9/02/2008. If you add the 2 and 8 from 2008 you get 9/02/10.

    Now none of that may mean anything, but when I typed 90215 into google image search, on page 11 I found out about the X-Seed 4000.

    This is VERY interesting http://hubpages.com/hub/X-Seed_4000_-_Tallest_Building_Planned_on_Earth

    What do you think about that? Tower of Babel perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Maybe it's my own prejudice, but you don't think of these thriller writers as being so well-connected. I always took Tom Clancy for a bit of a fantasist, for example.
    I'd love to see more information about Robin Cook's connections.
    Wikipedia says he divides his time between Boston and Naples, Florida. That doesn't surprise me too much, the area is crawlin' with retired spooks. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I remember seeing the movie "Coma" (based on Robin Cook's novel) starring Michael Douglas years ago,and that scared me enough to never become an organ donor this time around.
    But how's this? In 2001 he had a book caled "Shock" and on this Wiki page;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_%28novel%29
    It says,"The novel has an open-ending, leaving the readers to guess what happens to the villains in the end."
    Hmmm.
    He also wrote "Abduction" in 2000 about a technologically advanced world of genetically engineered, physically near-perfect humans living comfortably in an enclosed city within the Mohorovičić discontinuity. The researchers are told that their Moho-dwelling cousins evolved many millions of years prior to current humans and became very technologically advanced.
    Interesting novels for a doctor to be writing,indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's an interesting movie, especially considering my pilgrimage to Arizona last year. The synchronicity is very deep.

    The movie shows what certain archetypes look like from an ego-based materialistic perspective overtly concerned with preserving the powerbase.

    ReplyDelete