Stairway to Sirius: Barackobamun Tours Giza (UPDATES)



During his stay in Cairo, Egypt, where he gave his longest and arguably most anticipated speech yet, President Obama indulged in some tourism, visiting the Great Pyramids of Giza, which he labeled "awe-inspiring". Obama described the tour as the best off the record (OTR) experience of his presidency so far -- even trumping the burger run to Five Guys with NBC's Brian Williams last week. "Five Guys was good, this was better," Obama said, according to MSNBC News- HuffPost


I think this may be a good time to re-read the Stairway to Sirius series again, and the Very Sirius Election series as well. Maybe this post too.


Star of the day goes to Mark Trueblood. Good work, my brother.

UPDATE: Ha! The Five Guys Obama referred to at Giza is on New Jersey Ave! Click here for context...

UPDATE: Another 17 photo gallery for the "Tutankhamon of the World." This time on Talking Points Memo. Previous 17 photo Barackobamun galleries here.

Man, this hilarity is certainly brightening up the relentless gloom around here...

UPDATE II: Keeping the Manhattanhenge business in mind, there are 17 more days until the Summer Solstice...

UPDATE III: Obama touches down at 7:17 AM and begins speech at 11:11 AM. Pinch me.


UPDATE IV: Oh, please tell me this is all a joke:

Serving as Mr. Obama’s guide in Giza was Dr. Zahi Hawass, Secretary-General of Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities. He led the way in and around the pyramids and the Sphinx, including a visit to the Tomb of Qar, who Hawass described as a well-known priest, scholar and judge in ancient Egypt. On the wall were hieroglyphs of Qar, primitive images engraved in the stone. He was a thin man man with big ears.
“That looks like me!” exclaimed President Obama. “Look at those ears.”
Actually, the graven image bore more of a resemblance to Mr. Spock of “Star Trek” fame. Wasn’t there an episode where the crew of the Enterprise went back in time to the Egypt of the Pharoahs? If there wasn’t, there should have been. That might have explained a hieroglyph of Spock on the wall of an ancient tomb. Maybe President Obama went back in time. That’d be a good scenario for a pitch meeting in Hollywood.

UPDATE V: Do you think I should sue those "New Tut" guys for copyright infringement?

UPDATE VI: I just thought I'd walk-in and mention that Star Trek:Deep Space Nine had 173 episodes.

18 comments:

  1. Chris, thanks for the shout-out. You're the scholar, I'm just avoiding doing something productive at work.

    By the way Kudos on "Mindbomb" article. Masterful piece of work. The "eye/star in the chest" thing is especially relevant to me personally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allegedly even older than the Pyramids of Egypt is Newgrange, a Stargate, I'm sure of it, being a bridge Between the 3 Worlds my(s)elf. I oughta Gno. I was just there last moonth, Chris.

    In a recent series of children's literature thrillers, authored by UK fantasy writer Anthony Horowitz, we find the 5 … a group of five young teen … who battle against the Old Ones from taking over the Earth, as they have been charged as protectors for some 10,000 years, or so the story goes.

    Isn't the Sphinx itself now argued to be about that old, the sedimentary striations on its side belying the fact that it saw millennia of water erosion?

    Always a monumental read here, Chris,
    Anadæ Effro (•:-)}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers, Andae- I wrote about Newgrange here just a few months back. Any pix from your trip? I'm very curious about that site...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! That was expedient of you! Thanks for YOUR piece on Newgrange. I, too, was pelted with gumdrop-sized rain there, but it was on again, off again … when there WAS a break in the precip, my husband had taken a pic of me alongside its magnificence (no photos are permitted inside of it) and, lo & behold, a headless figure showed up right beside me! I "get" that his pate was removed & saved posthumously, not that a decapitation was what had dispatched him. I also "pick up" that he had held quite the station of import in his Neolithic society, whether he was their chieftain or (k)not(work), I don't rightly Gno.

    I'm a king of procrastinators my(s)elf, but eventually I'll have pics from my Éire trip on my site. Eye will, indubitably, keep your orbits apprised, Professor.

    Lovin' the past & your blog,
    Anadæ Effro (•:-)}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whose the guy giving President Obama the tour Chris? Or the guy he seems to be talking with the most.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... That would be Zahi Hawass. Seems no one, even Obakanaton, gets around without his presence. He has spoken out against much independent research which seeks to reveal a different, older history than we have come to "know". Cairo+Obama+Zahi; I do wonder what secrets lie behind the media meme machine...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is what I thought but I was not sure. T/Y

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nowadays, I find myself saying one word as I witness the constant and incessant barrage of synchromystic revelations in the news headlines: Wow! Like alien dreaming, my inner consciousness expects it, however I can't help but being surprised.

    Truly astounding stuff.

    Cheers, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe we're hallucinating it all into reality, Andre, a la The Lathe of Heaven...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adding more flourishes to the 17 meme:

    Obama's choice for his historic address to the Muslim world coincides with the anniversary of the start of the first battle between Islam, under Prophet Muhammad, and Christendom in (pause, wait for it) AD 629. 6+2+9 = 17.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Speaking of Egyptian mythos, you might be interested in this link that I posted in my News Headlines: The Spirit of Ma'at. First Contact - A Message from Osiris.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Right on, Andre- thanks for pitching in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this Christopher-I am off to reply to a couple of friends blogs and then I will be back to read the posts you mentioned-I was very touched by your comment that maybe we are all dreaming this all into reality-a la Le Guin in the Lathe of Heaven-I was watching MSM coverage of his tour and a thought hit me very similar to this -I just thought this just cant possibly be "real" anymore -I also enjoyed your comment about when Obamun saw the image of Kar I believe it was-haha maybe you should sue for copyright infringement! all the best as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry for the multiple comment-I just wanted to add that I enjoyed the other commenters here greatly also-thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Star Trek? Obama? Vulcans?

    http://www.towleroad.com/2009/06/movies-and-tv-.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. http://godiscoverytravel.com/Day-tour-to-Giza-pyramids-and-sphinx/

    ReplyDelete
  17. http://www.letsexploreegypt.com/Cairo-Day-Tours/

    ReplyDelete