Alien Dreaming, pt. V: The Mithraic Liturgy

The first four posts in this series can be read here

In this post, we will look at excerpts from the Mithraic Liturgy of the Paris Codex. This liturgy was part of a body of ancient Egyptian Hermetic writings compiled in the early 300s CE. The liturgy is filled with tons of uppercase glossolalia, which I've omitted. I also have included only the section of the liturgy believed to be the genuine Mithraic component- apparently there are some additional verses and spells tacked on follow the invocation.

There is some controversy as to whether the liturgy represents "orthodox" Mithraism, or some Hermetic variant thereof. But it certainly does present a pretty powerful personal experience typical of the Mystery tradition. Experience is the unique component that separates the Mysteries from other cults. And for some time, modern scholars have speculated that entheogenic compounds were the actual sacraments of these cults.

This is just a shot across the bow with this topic, but it might shed new light on the ancient Mysteries for some of you. As with the Gnostics, there is so much ridiculous nonsense floating around out there about the Mysteries, most of it written by biased individuals who have never read the actual history of these movements, never mind their texts.

If you read the text of the liturgy carefully, some very interesting themes might catch your eye. I've been agonzing over this post for some weeks now, but I thought the best way to present it was to let the ancient Mithraists speak for themselves. We can get into interpretation later.

I've also added some images from our modern mysteries to break up the monotony.

Be gracious to me, O Providence and Psyche, as I write these mysteries handed down for gain but for instruction; and for an only child I request immortality, O initiates of this our power...
...furthermore, it is necessary for you, O daughter, to take the juices of herbs and spices, which will to you at the end of my holy treatise which the great god Helios Mithras ordered to be revealed to me by his archangel, so that I alone may ascend into heaven as an inquirer and behold the universe.
"First - origin of my origin, first beginning of my beginning, spirit of spirit, the first of the spirit in me, fire given by god to my mixture of the mixtures in me, the first of the fire in me, water of water, the first of the water in me, earthy substance, the first of the earthy substance in me..."
I, sanctified through holy consecrations!-- while there subsists within me, holy, for a short time, my human soul-might, which I will again receive after the present bitter and relentless necessity which is pressing down upon me...
...It is impossible for me, born mortal, to rise with the golden brightnesses of the immortal brilliance ...Draw in breath from the rays, drawing up three times as much as you can, and you will see yourself being lifted up and ascending to the height, so that you seem to be in mid-air.

You will hear nothing either of man or of any other living thing, nor in that hour will you see anything of mortal affairs on earth, but rather you will see all immortal things.

For in that day and hour you will see the divine order of the skies: the presiding gods rising into heaven, and others setting.

Now the course of the visible gods will appear through the disk of god, my father...

...and in similar fashion the so-called "pipe," the origin of the ministering wind. For you will see it hanging from the sun's disk like a pipe.

You will see the outflow of this object toward the regions westward, boundless as an east wind, if it be assigned to the regions of the East--and the other similarly, toward its own regions.
And you will see the gods staring intently at you and rushing at you. So at once put your right finger on your mouth and say: "Silence! Silence! Silence! Symbol of the living, incorruptible god!

Then you will see the gods looking graciously upon you and no longer rushing at you, but rather going about in their own order of affairs.

So when you see that the world above is clear and circling, and that none of the gods or angels is threatening you, expect to hear a great crash of thunder, so as to shock you. Then say again: "Silence! Silence! (the prayer) I am a star, wandering about with you, and shining forth out of the deep...

Immediately after you have said these things the sun's disk will be expanded. And after you have said the second prayer, where there is "Silence! Silence!" and the accompanying words, make a hissing sound twice and a popping sound twice, and immediately you will see many five- pronged stars coming forth from the disk and filling all the air. Then say again: "Silence! Silence!"

"And when the disk is open, you will see the fireless circle, and the fiery doors shut tight."
Say all these things with fire and spirit, until completing the first utterance; then, similarly, begin the second, until you complete the seven immortal gods of the world. When you have said these things, you will hear thundering and shaking in the surrounding realm; and you will likewise feel yourself being agitated. Then say again: "Silence!"
Then open your eyes and you will see the doors open and the world of the gods which is within the doors, so that from the pleasure and joy of the sight your spirit runs ahead and ascends. So stand still and at once draw breath from the divine into yourself, while you look intently.

When you have said this, the rays will turn toward you; look at the center of them. For when you have done this, you will see a youthful god, beautiful in appearance, with fiery hair, and in a white tunic and a scarlet cloak, and wearing a fiery crown. At once greet him with the fire-greeting:

"Hail, O Lord, Great Power, Great Might, King, Greatest of gods, Helios, the Lord of heaven and earth, God of gods: mighty is your breath; mighty is your strength, O Lord. If it be your will, announce me to the supreme god, the one who has begotten and made you.


He will come to the celestial pole, and you will see him walking as if on a road. Look intently and make a long bellowing sound, like a horn, releasing all your breath and straining your sides; and kiss the amulets and say, first toward the right: "Protect me, PROSYMERI!"

After saying this, you will see the doors thrown open, and seven virgins coming from deep within, dressed in linen garments, and with the faces of asps. They are called the Fates of heaven, and wield golden wands. When you see them, greet them in this manner:
"Hail, O seven Fates of heaven, O noble and good virgins, O sacred ones and companions of MINIMIRROPHOR, O most holy guardians of the four pillars!

There also come forth another seven gods, who have the faces of black bulls, in linen loin-cloths, and in possession of seven golden diadems. They are the so-called Pole-Lords of heaven, whom you must greet in the same manner, each of them with his own name:
"Hail, O guardians of the pivot, O sacred and brave youths, who turn at one command the revolving axis of the vault of heaven, who send out thunder and lightning and jolts of earthquakes and thunderbolts against the nations of impious people, but to me, who am pious and god-fearing, you send health and soundness of body, and acuteness of hearing and seeing, and calmness in the present good hours of this day, O my Lords and powerfully ruling Gods!"

Now when they take their place, here and there, in order, look in the air and you will see lightning-bolts going down, and lights flashing , and the earth shaking...


...and a god descending, a god immensely great, having a bright appearance youthful, golden-haired, with a white tunic and a golden crown and trousers, and holding in his right hand a golden shoulder of a young bull: this is the Bear which moves and turns heaven around, moving upward and downward in accordance with the hour.


Then you will see lightning-bolts leaping from his eyes and stars from his body.


And at once produce a long bellowing sound, straining your belly, that you may excite the five senses: bellow long until the conclusion, and again kiss the amulets... And gaze upon the god while bellowing long; and greet him in this manner:
"Hail, O Lord, O Master of the water!
Hail, O Founder of the earth!
Hail, O Ruler of the wind!
O Bright Lightener...

So, here we have a two thousand year-old prayer from one of the ancient world's most powerful cults, which talks about a flying disk with doors that open and close, and is filled with "gods" who take people up into the heavens.

I think it's safe to say they didn't get these ideas from Buck Rogers or 50's sci-fi movies.

Mysteries within Mysteries, to be sure...

18 comments:

  1. Mysteries indeed.

    Most excellent post and imagery, Chris.

    I do hope that the flames of each word and sentence will light the intellect and consciousness of each reader to realise and understand the streams of brilliance that traverse times and dimensions to awaken mankind from their instinctive perceptions.

    Truly great excerpts.

    Thanks.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rorsasch4:25 AM

    Yeah , and the guy who appears the last, "having a bright appearance youthful, golden-haired, with a white tunic and a golden crown and trousers" isn't really Ozzymandias?--
    I would say the fucking Ray Kurzweil as well ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much into reading - much prefer to look at the pictures. Why is it that it's mostly kids books that have the pictures???

    You put together a wonderful montage of images here - something to meditate on over the next few days...

    Thanks CK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'ma do that whenever i start hallucinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris,

    You just get better and more fascinating with all of this! Thank you so much for your deep insight and intelligent distillation of difficult concepts. I find myself reading this like a scary and thrilling novel with one eye closed!

    BTW, does anyone out there know what's happening with the Weather Channel? I've watched it for years and love the music interludes but since the channel went HD with large screens and a "contact device" logo, it's seemed all weirded out.

    For instance, there's a mobilization in Norman, OK going on and reported on by the minute about a "Great Tornado Hunt." What's going on really with that? They've got hundreds of scientists, naval radar and five weeks of "100's of vehicles" combing tornado alley.

    It seems very strange. The logo for the event is called V2 or Vortex2 and here's a link to the segment on the website:

    http://www.weather.com/newscenter/?from=globalnav

    Excerpt:
    The Tornado Hunt Begins

    "Meteorologist Mike Bettes reports from Norman, OK with a behind the scenes look at the most ambitious tornado research project ever attempted. Nearly 100 scientist will hunt tornadoes for 5 weeks."

    But it's amazing that such a massive mobilization is taking place now...just to chase tornadoes? I wonder what's really up with all this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris,

    I had never heard of or read anything about this Liturgy until today but it appears to be exactly like an experience I had back at the beginning of the year. It might seem strange but I have "seen and heard" events exactly like this liturgy!

    I contacted a real "magician" on his website about the events here:

    http://ananael.blogspot.com/2009/01/haunted-mirror.html

    I sent an email to him and his info about "scrying" is exactly like the liturgy you describe in today's post. He noted that my experience could have been the result of sleep deprivation and unusual theta wave activity.

    You may not see this as exactly like the liturgy but for me I've "seen" or "envisioned" the liturgy many times and never knew that it was based on a real writing.

    From his email:

    SoapFan: I've been able to sit and stare and see entire scenes of people moving,
    > talking and even appearing to look at me. I've seen the same people or
    > alien like creatures move and interact in patterns on walls for years! I
    > have even averted my eyes to stop "the movie" -like vision. I've seen
    > people traverse snow storms on a foreign world, have a picnic on a farm,
    > bow before some sort of ruler and scowl back at me in countless episodes.
    >
    > I honestly thought it was some trick of my imagination and often wondered
    > why the events seem so real as if I had some sort of spy glass through
    > space and time!

    Ananael: Well, it is a trick of the imagination... kind of. Basically what's going
    on is that your psychic/magical sense is mapped onto your vision. Just by
    virtue of being sentient there's something of a magical field around you
    all the time, you just tend to sense it in the form of images, patterns,
    and so forth. If you're just sensing your own magical field it's like
    having externalized imagination, but if you are in the presence of a
    spirit or entity or magically charged object it can give you some real
    information about it.

    It's different for everyone - I can converse with spirits when I summon
    them up and tell if something is magically charged by touching it, but I
    rarely see much of anything during evocations.

    SoapFan: > Can this ability of mine really be what you've described as scrying? And
    > is there any way to control it? I mean because the wall paper
    > will almost immediately start morphing into an 1800 covered wagon scene or
    > Asian warfare!

    Ananael: Never having had the talent myself I can't really say for sure, but here's
    an idea. Track down a picture of the "face-vase" illusion online. You
    know, the thing where you can look at it and see either two faces or a
    vase. Meditate on the image - that is, sit down somewhere quiet and look
    at it for an extended period of time. Practice switching back and forth
    between the "face" and "vase" and pay attention to *exactly* what your
    mind is doing when the "switch" happens. That same mechanism is what turns
    wallpaper into patterns or whatever it is that you see. Once you become
    aware of how it works, it should become easier over time to "turn it off."
    The big challenge is to look at the image and be able to see it for what
    it truly is, not faces or a vase but just a shape.

    Well, good luck with it. I hope that you do decide to develop it and work
    with it - scrying is a talent a lot of magicians would really like to
    have, and far too few of them actually do."

    Also, Chris, on the Ananael blog is a May 5 post on energy (http://ananael.blogspot.com/) that you might find interesting.

    I hope this isn't too "far out" from your work here at the Sun. For some reason, it seems to me that all this "spiritual-ness" ties together.

    Sincerely,
    SoapFan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing post! Thank you for sharing the Mithraic Liturgy -- and your selection of images to illustrate it are right on! I have vague memory of reading some of this for my senior thesis in college, but never made the connection to alien astronauts. Awesome!

    SoapFan,
    Interesting comment on tornadoes. . . my partner is from OKC and he crinches every time I suggest some tornadoes are exhausts of space or time travel fields.

    And your scrithing comments are fascinating. Drunvalo Melchizedek describes a merkaba meditation that can stimulate a view screen similar the one you and the liturgy describe in his book Living in the Heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mithraism is something we almost never hear about. Thanks for bringing this info to light.

    I was thinking about how the military incorporates the elementals... Air force (air/wind, obviously), army (earth), navy (sea) and Marines (raw firepower), and also the Pentagon (5 pointed star), and explosions could be the essence of the "Bright Lightener" in some sense (not related to enlightenment, though). I'm not sure what the connection to Mithraism is there, but the "flying discs" have long been seen to be connected with the military.

    Related to the "5th Sun" mythology going around, the sun is often represented by a disk. They're talking about Stargates with the door opening and closing, I think. Considering the concept of the UFO itself is a stargate, you're right on with the connections you've made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:40 PM

    Talk about sychromysiticisim, very interesting Chris


    Fabian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christopher - When I read the phrases regarding the pipe hanging from the sun's disc I immediately remembered reading years ago about Jung's patient who insisted that he saw a generative organ hanging from the sun. The pictures you supply to illustrate the phrase just floor me - I must have drawn pictures of UFOs with beams sweeping down scores of times when I was a kid, but I sure never made the connection you have here! Thanks for that.
    It makes me think about the Desire for Contact as a primal basic urge - you mention the entheogenic communion host that may have been a part of the mysteries, and i am minded of the Kirby panels you posted a few days back of some astronauts thrown on a rapid trip through the universe. Kirby drew them with with a long sweeping tube behind them that appeared more substantial than the traditional comics indicator of movement. In search of spiritual transformation and ultimately Contact shamans have made themselves separate from this universe into something wider. And modern accounts from people who have had similar out-of-body experiences often mention an ethereal umbilicus connecting their spirit body to their actual body. More tubes of Light! " . . .the rays will turn toward you.. " How does this connect? - I don't know, your post is just making me think about it.
    Who care what the answers are _ pondering all the possibilities is such a delicious feast in itself! Thanks for the meal

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andre- It's my growing belief that we have information trapped somewhere within our brains that we sense but can't access. It almost seems like blogging is tailor made for this search. I've certainly accessed a lot of important information through the Alien Projects- and all of the other blogs in this little community of ours as well.

    Rors- I just read an interview with Kurtzweil. Interesting stuff. Not exactly my cup of tea, but with some much rampant stupidity on the march, certainly worth reading about.

    DD- Ha! The words are important too.

    Just- Aren't we all hallucinating in some way? Maybe it's just a question of degree.

    Soapie- I don't trust the media. Period. I suppose we'll get some information in the future about what is really going on there.

    That sounds like a fascinating exchange you had! I just don't know if the information is outside us or inside. Certainly the Mithraists knew nothing about UFOs or flight, for that matter. I keep thinking we have some hidden level in our brains, like a video game. Or maybe like that video in 2001 when HAL gets shut down.

    Tommy- there's more on the way here. The disk reminds me of Aton, as well. I am starting to really wonder if there is some Stargate agenda at work in the Persian Gulf.

    Fab- Cheers.

    David- You know, it was Jung that put me onto this. I was thinking about how this liturgy was the trigger that changed the direction of his entire worldview. And for some reason I didn't go and actually read the liturgy until a few months ago. And as soon as I did I thought- UFO! Heavenly Beam!

    Won't help Jung's reputation with all of the academics, but certainly opens things up wide for me. I always worry I'm getting too far afield of Jung- and then when I think I'm off on the other side of the world, I'm standing right next to him. Same thing happened with Spandex. It wasn't until I was done that I realized how Jung it is. And now I feel like I've tapped into something he may not have had the resources to understand yet, but was definitely on the scent of. Maybe Jung was intuiting this, but didn't have access to all of these outbursts from the Collective Unconscious that we have now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome Post! Thanks for the amazing info, the illustrations corresponded great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Chris,
    Thanks for this post, it's superb!

    this is a bit off-topic, but have you seen the trailer for that weirdness called "Discrict 9" (initially called Alive in Joburg)?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89BuFkCNiTA

    A Chthuloid alien race living in poverty in a south african...apartheid rise towards them etc etc etc

    there's never end to it....

    ReplyDelete
  14. The text sings with power, and your imagery is excellent.

    Thank you for bringing this into being, Chris. I shall explore further.

    ReplyDelete
  15. CK: "It's my growing belief that we have information trapped somewhere within our brains that we sense but can't access."

    You have probably already seen this but when I stumbled across it I immediately thought about your comments on this here:

    Culture May Be Encoded in DNASo even when the chain of transmission through "nurture" breaks down, "nature" finds a way.

    Now if you could find a way to do this, then panspermia becomes a potentially viable means of "colonising" the universe (although not physically but if you could encode some basic principles...) and it puts a whole new spin on the wonderfully named cosmic ancestry (some of which I think I mentioned in a comment on one of your Nigel Kneale posts).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, This is my first time visiting here. Your blog is a nice,I thought I would leave my first comment. :)

    Greets from
    Kenali dan Kunjungi Objek Wisata di Pandeglang

    ReplyDelete
  17. The text reads:
    --------------
    "this is the Bear which moves and turns heaven around, moving upward and downward in accordance with the hour."

    This seems like a reference to the Big Dipper turning around Polaris. I live in a place with VERY clear nighttime skies, and I've learned to use Ursus Major (the Big Bear, the Big Dipper) as a way to know how long until dawn.

    Is the Bull a reference to Taurus?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous4:48 PM

    Really clever - especially the overall format - To use sci-fi imagery as a counter argument to the skeptics who say people have watched too much sci-fi :)

    Great journey as always

    thanks

    Dan.t

    ReplyDelete

Off-topic info, links are always welcome if kept brief, but please refrain from unrelated data dumps and off-topic lectures.

As always, I reserve the right to delete comments that I consider to be inflammatory or overly off-topic

If your comment doesn't show up, please email.

Please be aware that Blogger often dumps comments with hyperlinks into the Spam folder. Please try to avoid them, since it makes more work for me to read through the spam folder for your comments.