Thursday, August 07, 2008

Bruce Timm, Funnybook God

Thor for Thursday, along with Sif and Him! 
Just spreading the objectification around!

I've been having a lot of trouble falling asleep every night, so I've been taking the opportunity to meditate. 

It's been a blessing in disguise (and I believe that that's how all blessings come) and it's also helped me sort through a lot of things that I wouldn't necessarily address in my waking, working hours. 

One thing I've been meditating on is where to take this blog. Blogs are a funny thing-a lot of them come and go. If its not a paid gig, a lot of blogs- even popular ones- can sort of fall by the wayside. Hell, a lot of paid bloggers phone it in. 

For a few months now, I've been kicking around the idea of getting back into comics somehow, but not doing some story-driven thing that no one will read, but a more documentary type of thing, and something that would incorporate some of the ideas and concepts that get bandied about here on the Sun. 

Of course, since I'm obsessive-compulsive, I'd still have to post something every day here or I'd go into an elevated state of anxiety. One idea I had is doing a sort of comics version of what Steve Willner does with his videos (and doing so here!)

 

One thing some of you non-OCD people may not realize - or some of you with a different strain of it- but I sort of rotate my obsessions. Because when I come to one after putting it aside, it's like a shot of pure heroin to all the pleasure-receptors in my brain. And it lasts for weeks and often months sometimes. And when it wears off, I simply focus on another obsession. 

 Anyone who's had the misfortune to spend any time around me when I'm really on an obsession kick knows how irritating it can be, and when I get going on my Bruce Timm obsession, it can really drive people crazy. But he's like all of my favorite artists- Jack Kirby, Jaime Hernandez and Hank Ketcham, in particular- combined. 

And his approach to drawing is just so damn utilitarian, which appeals greatly to my inner Protestant-Boy (kudos to Grant Morrison for that great archetypal ID). 

So, I've lined up several months worth of Timm for Tuesdays, and spent my time not sleeping working out ways I could somehow get all of my eggs in one basket, and put all of what I've been doing here into comics form (sometimes I wish I did Our Gods Wear Spandex as a comic itself). 

I may not dig most of what's being published in comics these days, but I love the form. Which is to say, I'm just like everyone else out there. After all, what I do on the blog is mix words and pictures- it's really just comics by other means.

-----------------------------------------------

The Secret Sun Institute of Advanced Synchromysticism is waiting for you to take the next step in your synchro-journey. Come level up.


And don't forget the all-night 90s lotus party over at SHRR. We're presently up to 1998.