Gone Fishin'

I set out at the beginning of the summer to figure out what this blog was going to be about and what it was meant to accomplish. I got sidetracked by some tangential issues and never exactly went on that light summer schedule I announced. And the reason was that I still hadn't even identified what was bugging me.

You can spend your life finding little easter eggs in every media production you can imagine, and you can probably construct a pretty compelling weltanschuang from that. But that's not what I've been after. What most interests me is pop culture as a form of magic. That term gets tossed around like salad by way too many people, but I've spent my life fixating on movies or records or comics that really flip switches inside me that you're not even supposed to have. We're not talking any kind of Crowley hoodoo-mambo here, we're talking about Art as the activation of the Symbols and how that effects the flow of reality. Which I'm pretty sure you'll agree it does if you're reading this blog.

I've spent the better part of the 21st Century writing about other people's art and producing precious little of my own. But I see it as a kind of apprenticeship, learning the ropes of how the good stuff is made. It's a hell of a lot harder than it looks. I spent a good chunk of the 80s and 90s making mediocre art, aside from the usual commercial art and work-for-hire writing I make my living off of. Things being what they are, I'm going to have to continue with all of that. But I have boxes filled with ideas that I've left rotting and that's just a damn waste. There are little hints of magic here and there- the only kind of magic I really believe in- and that don't come easy these days.

I'm going to take a few weeks off from the blog for real now (my mistake before was being half-assed about taking time off from posting), which will coincide with me taking some time off from work. And in that time I'm really going to determine how I want to proceed. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer- I really don't feel like spending the rest of my life writing about and analyzing other people's creativity.

When I come back it will be on a more sporadic kind of schedule- you guys have no idea how much time I spend just scheduling this damn blog, never mind writing it. And when I come back, it's not going to be a grab bag of symbols and synchronicity- it's going to be about the creative process and the magical properties thereof. Any of you who've pursued the arts- particularly music- will know what I'm talking about. We'll still be looking at all of the same themes we've looked at in the past, but we'll be doing so in a different context. And also some more general philosophy, dealing with the issues raised by art and magic.

What this all comes down to is I'm really itching to get back in the ring. It's going to be a while before I hit that magical motherlode, but if the aliens do come down on 2012 and fry our asses to ashes, I sure as hell don't want to be thinking "Godammit, I shoulda finished that graphic novel!" or "Sh*t man, that screenplay never got optioned!" Joltin' Joe Linsner's been bugging me for years now to stop being such a wuss and get back to work, and I guess a confluence of events has finally gotten the wax out of my ears. I may fall flat on my face, but it's better to regret something you did do than something you didn't do.


  1. Yes, thanks for all the hard work and synchromystic insight.

    Be very well

  2. Don't be gone too long!!! I have become a Secret Sun addict over the past few months and thoroughly enjoy every post. Just want you to know that I appreciate all the effort you put into this. Keep up the good work!!!
    Marquee Moon

  3. Way to go Chris! I have been thinking along the same lines for some time now. It gets old after awhile to immerse yourself the work of others and to not come up with anything original and unique.

    This has been particularly vexing for me lately because one of my many obsessions is to come up with something no one has ever seen or heard of before but I always find that someone else has already been there & done that.

    Plus, I have another crazy obsession to write a book that will completely change the world but what writer doesn't wish for the same??? I have yet to figure out how to do this and many, many talented people have already tried. And, what right do I have to alter another person's reality anyway... much less the whole world! That is indeed a bit presumptuous of me but I will say that at least my heart is in the right place.

    You are also absolutely correct in that this has been a period of apprenticeship for you. It has also been the case for me and I've learned so much but I need to go to the next level at this point. It's a tedious process without a mentor but we do the best we can. What the "next level" means, I cannot say for sure but I have some vague ideas. I thank you for being one of my mentors and I appreciate the great insights you have shared.

    So, as you can see I have been pondering the very same issues and the best way to deal with this is to give it a shot while you can. If nothing else, do it for yourself. That in and of itself is an achievement.

    Keep in touch if you like!

  4. Thanks, everybody. I must say after I posted this I ambled over to Rob Breszny's site and was slapped in the head with a level 10 synchronicity that will become apparent in the months to come. So I think I'm on the right track...

    Everyone have an AWESOME rest of the summer and we'll meet up again in the autumn.

  5. i'ma lil irish and i write poetry in the hope i can eventually put some to music. I am absolutely enamoured with your view of things. Some of what you say leaves me dumbfounded(in a GREAT way)and i cannot do anything until i get an idea of what you are talkin about, at least. If i were ever to start a blog it would be called 'distilled information,' an homage to you, my hero. Wake me up when september ends. I especially cant wait to find out what you are cookin up creatively outside of the sun. Whatever it is, its working my brother, u get me fired up like no other, movies & music included. I would like to shout out pain also, God you must wear spandex, too! I prefer the term leotard, its juss funny to me

  6. Thanks for all the fish, follow that bliss.

  7. Blessings on a graphic novel and a screenplay! Magnum opus!

  8. I've noticed a fair amount of people around the internet leaving their blog lie for a little while, but you're one of the few who have said they're doing so in order to pursue greater creativity outside of the internet.

    Best of luck!

    - Ian

  9. "Daddy, what does regret mean?
    Well son, the funny thing about regret is,
    It's better to regret something you have done,
    Than to regret something you haven't done.
    And by the way, if you see your mom this weekend,
    Be sure and tell her, SATAN, SATAN, SATAN!!!"

    I've learned a lot from your blog, Chris. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and perspective.

  10. Awesome!! Breaking the 'loop' is so key, brother. Staying in perpetual alchemical Coagulation disallows one the steps toward manifesting the Philosopher's Stone (and hence creating their Magnum Opus in life). I hope that you find what you're seeking, or, perhaps that it finds you. You have an amazing mental capacity, and a definite path that I can sort of sense, even though I've never met you; there is no luck - there is only Gaian criticism. If we can take it constructively, now, is the real trick to forever succeeding and becoming the productive force we aspire to be.

    "...to obtain a bird's eye is to turn a blizzard to a breeze..." -Brandon Boyd, Incubus

    In terms of music, I LOVE the art!! I feel that the future of communication may be relative to music, in fact... the simple fact that universal blueprint-harmonic geometries exist within the octave (of certain scales)... is breathtaking. And it tells me that we can get past language barriers so well if we embrace the language of multi-cultural tones (or intonation).

    Have you read my "Common Ground" article/blog? It's being published in the 2C magazine by the Foundation for the Law of Time, for the upcoming (this week) issue; Jose Arguelles himself is writing up the introduction for the mag, I've been told. To my happiness!!

    That's my place in the now and the future of humanity, in terms of leaving an impression. I am refining the musical process and an understanding of how intervals affect brainwave functionality, let alone how any two people of any country can have a 'discussion' with one another through the right sort of frequency set. Like a REAL BABELFISH (Thanks Douglas Adams). It's working out. I have an invention for a technical aspect of this, too...

    Peace, Chris. Be well.

    Lux et Veritas,
    Brendan Bombaci

  11. Thanks for checking in, everyone. I'll see you in a few weeks and we'll start to explore different ways to expand our awareness and our relationship to causality. I truly believe that art and culture can be genuinely magical- it's certainly what I beleive is at the core of Synchromysticism.

  12. Good luck and godspeed, CK. I'll always be interested in your work, whatever form it takes in the future.

  13. It is amazing how negative the world can feel at times. This site is a blessing. There are blogs I've read in other arenas like sports or politics and in those blogs, commenting is like war. One comment and you're feeling 300 words per minute of just utter hated for what you just typed or for just sharing your opinion. I just blogs and people by their ability to separate the qualifiers and quantifiers from the desire to understand the unknown. rarely do you see fact people chasing fiction. The fundamentalism is to hard to overcome for even the brightest of bulbs. This blog pushed the fringe while bing grounded in the known. It asked questions of the unknown face to face with out judgment. It was civil and is civil. Ok I'll stop, I get a lil pedantic. It's just I have a reverence for seeing alternating pitchs from the same frequency. Or alternating frequencies from one pitch. The plasticity of steel so to speak. So thanks homie!

  14. Guys- I'LL BE BACK!!!! Just taking a MUCH needed vacation! I'll be back and backer than ever!

    Take this opportunity to catch up!

  15. Have a GRRRRRRR8 thyme away, bro. We're all gonna miss ya & your most excellent meanderings here. And I wanna give to you a very personal thank you, also, in helping to illuminate paths already wrought & blazing new inroads that weren't already there & for being such an inspiration. Great success to you, Christopher! You've sure helped THIS elf to stop hiding( ;-)}

  16. But Chris, if you leave now stuff like this will start piling up.



    Enjoy your time off, you deserve it.

  17. I agree--better to fail then regret, but hey, who says you cannot be a success! Right?

    Go for it, and get some well deserved rest, we'll all be here when you get back.

    Later bro!

  18. Hi Chris, I've really enjoyed your blog since I discovered it about six months back. I hope that you find that creative, magical motherlode, and I look forward to reading your entries upon your return. I will be doing a little bit of preparation myself for your return, I will read the couple of books I have here of Jung to try and get some idea of the zone you're taking off from to pass over the synchosphere.
    Good luck with your ventures!

  19. I am a huge fan of this blog and I am excited about whatever you do in the future.

  20. Darn it Chris, why did you delete that other article! All those genius replies - gone!

  21. hey chris,

    can you send me your email address to taonetws@gmail.com?

    i would like to send you two books about the dental health / fibromyalgia connection.

    thanks for your hard work and take care,


  22. Creation is the highest ideal we can achieve; the act of the creator, which is us. We are all just living in a mental construct of ideas-made-physical anyway, right?

    If, in your time off, you are channeling an idea that seems bigger than you, running like a freight train through your head so that you can barely capture it and manifest it into some sort of reality - then you're probably on the right track. And it will marinate in its own synchronicity and you will laugh as the bloggers analyze your future work with connections you could never have dreamed intentionally.

    Live! Be well.

  23. It's 17, yes. But it's also 8. 1+7=8. 8, 8, 8. 9-1=8.

    SOS was 7,7,7

    Then THEY added a 1 to it. That's where you 17 was. Now that 17 has become an 8. 8,8,8.

    August 8, 2008.

  24. Just to recap - someone had mentioned in the comments that extreme right-wing and left-wing were the same, and someone else had wrote about how that whole 'there isn't any such thing as truth, it's how you look at it' is a load of baloney.
    I'd agreed with those and added some of my own comments, including a comparison to the politcal wheel there where the idea of the Sun as the coldest part of the galaxy was referred to.
    As the extreme right and left are the same (you may call them the magenta part of the visual spectrum - where red and violet meet, in a sort of pink), the absolute zero (no atomic / molecular movement) is the same as the hottest-possible (contained) - an amorphous plasma superfluid, where the compositional parts are moving so quickly that they are everywhere at once.

  25. It's been 24 days and I can't tell you how much I miss this blog. Ah well, enjoy the time away! :-)