Must See TV: Magical Egypt

John Anthony West has done a lot of interesting work for the past several decades, and has often teamed up with Graham Hancock and Robert Bauval to keep the Egyptian Antiquities Authority honest. This is part one of his Magical Egypt series, that contains a few crucial bits of info on how the Egyptians used symbols, as well as West's theories on what exactly these symbols are and how they work.


  1. Thanks for posting this. Over the weekend I was researching Graham Hancock's work and decided that I really must read some of his books.

    I was also reminded of how interested I was in Egyptology in high school. Lisa, one of my close friends (I only had a couple) who's mother painted the album covers for Neil Young turned me on to Egypt, UFOs and all sorts of other phenomena.

    We had our own esoteric "secret society" if you will, consisting of myself, my brother Egan, another artist named Monty and Lisa. We called ourselves the "MELD". Gosh, I haven't thought about that in a long time.

    Unfortunately, Lisa moved away and we lost touch. Such is life!

  2. I'm ambivalent at best about the heterodox theories of Egyptian history. It sounds cool that the Sphinx is from 12,000 BCE or whatever, but in a lot of ways it strikes me as the outdated face of a recurrent and for that matter embarrassing Victorian Orientalist hangover.

    Especially citing "the golden age" and "the deluge" myths. Has this guy never heard Jung or Campbell's theories?

  3. I don't look to people like West for answers- I look to them for questions.

    We need these kind of wild men to rattle the academic coffins. We'll get to the truth one day. The problem now is that all of the orthodox Egyptologists are cowards and are totally in the thrall of the chauvinistic, nationalistic EAA party line.

  4. Brilliant.

    It'd be interesting to know just what lies beneath the Giza plateau, as well... some satellite-directed Ground Penetrating Radar analysis by petrol-geologist & archaeologist collaborative researchers discovered vast catacombs and huge chambers below the whole shebang. I suppose this was around the same time that the whole "UFO"-heiroglyph excitement was taking place when you-know-who's sarcophagus was also discovered.

    Speaking of sarcophagus: I think I just may have to blog an article relative to the origin of Catholic 'afterlife' beliefs relative to the standardized 6-ft (72 inch) deep, "coffin;" and, where the particular Catholic funerary rites book (separate from the usual gospel) came from, which the priest or pastor reads from. It has an ankh of sorts on it's front cover, in most 'cases.' Pun intended. Duat, anyone?

    Who here has seen the sacred geometry site at ??

    Great stuff there.


    Light and Truth,
    Brendan Bombaci

  5. Speaking of Hancock, here's a snippet from the SF Gate movie review:

    "They look at the whole superhero thing with fresh eyes, even to the extent of examining - to the degree the blockbuster form permits (not much) - the spiritual implications of such beings walking the earth.

    In "Hancock," the word "superheroes" is merely a secular term for what a more religious age called "angels" and the pagans called "gods.""

    Seems everyone's nicely on the same page...


  6. Wow.. I just saw Hancock and was about to comment on here and... yeah. :S

    Amazing coincidences.

    It really struck me how the movies REALLY wanted to make the point that these 'superheroes' were but gods and goddesses in times past, and that they only became mortal through contact with each other.

    Will Smith loves this stuff, doesn't he...

    I recommend watching this movie.