I Do Believe...

The new X-Files movie is f-ing great. This is not an effects bonanza- it's a very dark, disturbing and intimate thriller. It's getting a lot of negative reviews, so I was prepared to be disappointed. I drove home not only not feeling disappointed, but feeling extremely angry - yet again- at the reviewers, who seem more and more like lemmings every year. There's no doubt in my mind that most of the critics decided to hate this film a very long time before they saw it (and it was a terrible idea to open it a week after the new Batman). I don't have to tell any of my readers here that the media is full of shit, but I guess my vestigial idealism always gets the best of me.

I've rented several movies in the past few months because they got good reviews, and without naming names, I pretty much hated every single one of them. And watching the coming attractions tonight - how the hell does Vin Diesel have a new movie out?- I thanked God that The X-Files is a black sheep in our enervating and soul-deadening pop culture.

PS: Check out this interesting site- A Jungian exploration of the X-Files.


8 comments:

  1. I gave up on reading movie reviews some time ago because I found they infuriated me, so badly done and inappropriate they were. Often they are excuses to program bs beliefs and reality tunnels into anyone reading and aren't about the films under review at all. They aren't reviews, they're behavioural modifications using fnords.

    In my younger days than these however, I would read them all the time (had subs & buying regularities to classy, and some not so classy (and some outright mondo trasho rags and zines), movie mags and everything) - and curiously they never ever ruined the film when I went on to see it. Thesedays though, even a capsule review can ruin the whole film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have very few real critics left- just a bunch of smarmy reviewers. Most of whom are paid peanuts or nothing at all. One fo the last true critics- Roger Ebert- loved the new XF film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, when it comes to something you love, let the media squawk away as you walk way.....and go see it for yourself. I'm hoping X-Files delivers for me, because Batman, well, it kind of did. But my hopes are with this X-Files.

    On the site there are a bunch of recommended episodes to view Chris. I am not going to view them simply because I do not have them and I want to see the movie tomorrow. Should I watch them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go see the movie first and worry about the rest later. Just be prepared- this film is BLEAK. Very disturbing to me that our auteurs are sending us very bleak and grim signals about our society.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Between the film's severed head imagery and the defrocked psychic priest character, I couldn't help but think about the film's possible allusions to John the Baptist. Do you have any insights on that?

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I do, I do. I think there is quite a lot of juicy semiotic goodness at work in that film....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I figured you might, and I'm glad I'm not the only one to think that.

    A while ago, I tried seeing if anyone had drawn parellels between "X-Files" and the Salome story. Google came back with lots of results, but most of them were sites where the two happened to be mentioned. Luckily, I found your blog.

    I performed the search because I was working on an X-Files fan fiction story where Richard Strauss' opera "Salome" plays an important role. The initial inspiration behind the story was fairly superficial, but I didn't realize just how deeply the series and the Salome/John the Baptist story could be interconnected. Needless to say, seeing the film left me a little unsettled.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey CK,

    I finally watched the movie at home. Never saw a review, only a teaser trailer and must say I absolutely loved it. Just an excellent story!

    Was very happy to see Skinner (aka Colonel Steven Caldwell of the Stargate starship Daedalus) too at the end. Some very funny moments too, classic X-files.

    Are you planning to do a write-up on the movie? I'd like to do a little exploring of the concept of synchronicity so wonderfully used in it.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete