Our Gods Wear Spandex - NYCC panel

Here's the video for the New York Comic Con panel on Our Gods Wear Spandex. Again, I was so stunned by the standing-room only crowd that it took me a while to become fully coherent. But I think I recovered well during the first question by the estimable A. David Lewis.

Here's the full spiel:
Panel at New York Comic Con on April 19, 2008 on the topic of Christopher Knowles' book Our Gods Wear Spandex: The Secret History of Comic Book Heroes. Moderated by A. Davis Lewis, panelists include Christopher Knowles, Testament creator Douglas Rushkoff, Cairo author G. Willow Wilson, Virgin Comics writer Saurav Mohapatra and DC Comics legend Denny O'Neil. Panel discusses the archetypes of comic book superheroes, their function in modern culture and the future of the genre. Questions are also taken from the audience.
That's the mighty Kean making a cameo towards the beginning of the presentation.

Programming note: I'll be at the Pittsburgh Comic Con over the weekend and will leave the comments open while I'm away. Posting will carry on as normal (thanks to Blogger in Draft!) so y'all come on back now, y'hear?


  1. What a great, great panel! If this is indicative of the quality of cons these days, I'll have to go to one! And having Denny O'Neil on the panel, you are one lucky guy. I was fascinated by the discussion of kids, their perceptions of the world, and the interraction with comics and older generations. You and I are the same age, CK, and I totally relate to your childhood perception of the world. I had an incredibly lucky childhood in so many ways, especially given that my parents divorced when I was a kid, but that view of the world as tenuous, impermanent, dark, dangerous, spiralling out control, that was certainly how I viewed things. I now have one son, age 5, and I've been trying to gauge his innate worldview -- is it dark, or secure? There is definitely a darkness in him, a fascination with death and ways of coping with it (especially ancient Egyptian ways!). We are reading the D'Aulaire mythology books at the moment. We did the Norse first, and I hesitated whether to finish the book and read him Ragnarok (especially given my own Apocalypse traumas as a child). I went ahead and finished the book, warning him the last stories would be sad. He totally took it in stride! He wanted to know why the Aesir died, and I reminded him of the rules and promises they had placed on themselves, and broken, and how eventually that became their undoing. He really seemed to get it, especially the idea of one world ending and a new one beginning. Regardless, it didn't bother him, cause nightmares, etc. I have NO intention of generalizing from my one kid (especially MY kid) to a generation, but nevertheless I am struck by how secure today's teenagers are, and I don't see that same level of security in my kid (again, being mine it would be unlikely).

  2. Having your parents split up will certainly instill a sense in you that the world is dark and impermanent.

    I'm not sure this was a typical panel. A lot of the credit needs to go to David Lewis, who put it together with Danny Fingeroth. Everyone on the panel was awesome.

    Good job with the child rearing, my man!

  3. I was impress.That panel really nice.Always God on the top.Belongs to family that are separated is not easy to handle.Adjustments to your kids is not easy because they are not strong enough to face it.
    Good job and continue the good move!!

    Suffering from an addiction. This website has a lot of great resources and treatment centers.

  4. Chalk up another sale of "Spandex.
    I'm popping over to Amazon to get me a copy right now.