Kicking the Habit




If Television is the drug of the nation- breeding ignorance and feeding radiation- it's become increasingly easy to swear off. I swore off watching the USA Network when they recently canceled one of my favorite shows, The 4400. For those of you who never watched it, I can sum it up in one sentence - The X-Files meets The X-Men.

This past season wasn't the best; it started off great, sagged in the middle when trying to instill some X-Files type mythology and some Heroes-like pyrotechnics, and then recovered towards the end. But for four seasons it offered up some quality sci-fi drama along with some biting social and political commentary. It also had the good taste to shoot in Vancouver, home of the best X-Files seasons. The 4400 had a kind of Mulder/Scully team in its revolving cast but completely avoid any hint of romance or sexual tension.

I'll be picking up the DVD when it comes out, but as a serial, it doesn't hold up to repeated viewings as does TXF. Maybe it just wasn't as compelling or well-made, but it was a lot of fun while it lasted.

Here's an idea for the 4400 producers (one of whom is Francis Ford Coppola)- why not follow Joss Whedon's lead and continue the series in comic form?



Last year, I swore off watching anything on Spike TV for life after they killed Blade: The Series in its crib. It wasn't a masterpiece to be sure, but it had promise. I was fascinated by how unsympathetic a character Blade was, and how the story focused more on the Machiavellian intrigues of the vampires themselves. It was like something out of Suetonius. Only with really hot chicks.

It was nice to get a DVD out of it, but it would be even nicer to get a series box.

I was a big fan of the Blade movies, though I've seem to have moved past that kind of stuff these days. Maybe I'm getting old.

3 comments:

  1. I saw "Blade 2" again a few days ago on the strength of my teenage memory and Guillermo del Toro's recent flicks. Very disappointing..
    I loved Hellboy and Pan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blade movies are good for a single viewing. But I do like Blade:Trinity because of Jessica Biel and Blade II has Leonor Varela, that scrumptious incarnation of Isis. So it's not all bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The series is out in a 4-DVD box set:

    http://www.moviepublicity.com/he/bladetheseries_press.html

    ReplyDelete