K2= Kotze/Knowles?


Jake Kotze's latest video is his best yet, and I'm not saying just because he is kind enough to plug Spandex and the Secret Sun on it. Jake continues to demonstrate how the supercharged language of sacred symbolism takes on a life of its own and uses us as its vessels, not the other way around. This language is coherent, consistent and predictive.

And for the third time now, Jake and I seem to be synergizing independently. His video starts off with Will Smith's sample of "Rock the Casbah" by the Clash. I wonder if Jake realizes that I wrote the book on the Clash, literally.

My first prose book, Clash City Showdown, collects writings from my old site which launched as an independent website on May 26, 1999 and went dark on Sept 11, 2001. In between, Joe Strummer played his first concert in America in 8 years on June 30, 1999, the eve of my 33rd birthday at 17 Irving Place in New York.

In his video, Jake includes a shot from I Am Legend shot in the Temple of Dendur at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, which the wife and I visited in June of 2005. That's the missus in the lower right hand corner. Unsurprisingly, this temple was dedicated to Isis, Osiris and Harpocrates (aka Horus the Child).

And yours truly in the inner sanctum.

This kind of thing has happened to me before. In 1995, Spandex artist Joe Linsner and I independently pitched Sirius Entertainment with projects with the word 'Halo' in the title (we didn't know each other at the time). Joe's was Lucifer's Halo (featuring everyone's favorite fallen angel) and mine was Halo, An Angel's Story (featuring, alas, no one's favorite fallen angel). Both books are very much New York City stories.


The climax of my Halo took place at the Grand Vizier hotel, which I partly based on the Hilton New York, across Sixth Ave. from Rockefeller Center. Part of Spider-Man 3 was shot there. I knew the hotel well, since it used to be the site of the Licensing Show. The last show I attended there I met Joel Schumacher. I was thrilled- being a big fan of Flatliners. Little did I know what he would do to the Batman franchise.

The final scene of the story took place near a fictional counterpart to St. Patrick's Cathedral, which is right across the street from Rockefeller Center. I used a book on St Pat's for stained glass detail for the cover of the collection of Halo.


St Pat's has two steeples. Towers, if you like.

Speaking of Rockefellers, I used to drive by the family's International Trade Center in Mount Olive when visiting Sirius Entertainment's offices in Andover. I miss those days.

1 comment:

  1. "Jake Kotzke's (not correct spelling, but 2 K's are better then 1) latest video is his best yet"
    Very kind, but I am leaning towards "The Tunney Trilogy" myself.
    "Jake continues to demonstrate how the supercharged language of sacred symbolism takes on a life of its own and uses us as its vessels, not the other way around. This language is coherent, consistent and predictive."
    Really great to hear that said so clear and reflected back accurately.
    "I wonder if Jake realizes that I wrote the book on the Clash, literally"
    Ha! Ha! No, I most certainly hadn't..

    What fun, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete