"I Will Live to Regret This, But..." Dept.

This hyperbolic headline first made me scoff, but after taking my walk on this unseasonably warm winter day I suddenly saw the wisdom in it. Magic is the manipulation of symbols to induce a change in perception. This is true with stage magic or ritual magic or shamanic magic. So what does this have to do with Obama?

Since 9/11 we've been systematically bombarded with bad mojo. This country is tired and cranky. And as tired as we are of the wrinkled, old, corporate clowns running for office, the emerging powers in what we once called the "Third World" are even more tired of them. A President Huckabee would be seen as just another imperial viceroy there, never mind a President McCain. And Hillary Clinton makes Margaret Thatcher look warm and fuzzy.

This country needs a semiotic makeover or we're in trouble. The world is tired of our bombs and our bullying and our Britneys and it would go a long way to repair our tattered reputation if we put a young, charming, mixed-raced man in the White House.

I'm not going so far as to endorse Obama, but I think he could win and I think he could put a fresh coat of makeup on the tired, old hag this country has become in the world's eyes. I'm sure he's as bought and paid for as anyone else running for president this year (and that includes Ron Paul) but it would be a semiotic victory, at least.

So Mr. Kamiya, my hat's off to you. You're a synchromystic of the highest order!


  1. Even as a conservative Christian with strong small-"L" libertarian leanings, I have to agree with you about Ron Paul. He and Mike Huckabee are essentially this election's two-headed Ross Perot.

  2. Looks like I put the whammy on Obama- Hillary won NH. Is the fix in? I should have known better...

    But on the plus side- Derek G is in the house! Derek and his wife Sharon are two of my favorite people in the whole wide world! I put their site in my links list- check out their radio show for an interesting take on world events.