Hand Off

Here's my last offering on this topic. I think I've taken this as far as I can go. Comics is an extremely hierarchal culture and it's not my place to establish this in the minds of the community. I've put up my evidence and it's up to historians to determine the rest. I would offer this last diagram, showing that key points of both images line up and that the hydra and the rock constellations fall on the lower right hand corners of both images.


(open image in new window to see full-sized version)

I do have a full-time job (and then some!) and a book to promote. The important issue in my eyes is how the whole Greco-Roman Neo-Classical millieu that kids like Siegel and Shuster grew up in played such a crucial role in the development of the modern superheroes. And this image is in my eyes the most profound and primal expression of that. It's not just a question of influence, it's as if gods like Hercules are in the essential DNA of all of our superheroes today.

No comments:

Post a Comment